What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Jeremy Smith?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Did he need to do it? Was it necessary for his forearm to be on the throat/head of Robinson? Mullen had that tackle covered and it was a beautiful tackle, just stay out of it Smith, now he's gotta deal with the consequences.

Charged with grade 3 dangerous contact.

4 weeks with the early plea, 6 if he fights it and loses.

The game has officially gone soft.

:lol:

I know you're a moron and you Knoughts fans are generally a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but slamming someone into the ground with that kind of force is a sure fire way to breaking someone's neck.

There was absolutely no need for it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
There was nothing wrong with it. The fact Robinson left the field in a neck brace is the only reason he was charged.

betcats

Referee
Since when can you use your elbow to slam someones head into the ground?

He should get four weeks for being a serial Dog.

POPEYE

Coach
We had to put up with Fittler's favourite tackle, the head slam, for years before it was eradicated. When a bloke is on the way to the ground already there is no need for it, for the f**kwits dismissing it, just as dangerous as lifting and driving.

Snappy

Coach
And I think that's the ridiculous part. If Robinson doesn't get stretchered off, he probably doesn't even get put on report.

I knew he'd be charged, but Grade 3 is a dreadful case of overkill.

:lol: And if the dirty grub didnt slam his head into the ground he wouldnt have been stretched off would he.

Snappy

Coach
Yep he sure is. Jeremy Smith is a quality player and shouldnt need to use such grubby tatics

Noname36

First Grade
The fact Robinson left the field in a neck brace is the only reason he was charged.

Having been at the game I think this is on the money. The ref wasn't even going to blow a penalty until he realised that Robinson was injured.

There's a lot of conjecture which is why I think the length of Smith's suspension is very rough. I admit I haven't seen the replay many times, but from what I remember Robinson's head was well and truly plummeting into the turf from Mullen's tackle well before Smith even got involved. Smith's forearm was definetly in a dubious position, but there doesn't appear to be much force there at all. He was already being forced into the ground from the tackle. I think it's one of those situations where Smith's position made it look a lot worse than it was.

I also believe Smith's reputation played a lot into the long suspension. Most other players would have gotten 1-2 weeks max IMO.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
I think the fact Mullen was executing a good driving tackle goes against Smith.

There was no need for him to put that second effort in which resulted in the head slam and he will get a good period of time on the sidelines for it

Noname36

First Grade
I think the fact Mullen was executing a good driving tackle goes against Smith.

There was no need for him to put that second effort in which resulted in the head slam and he will get a good period of time on the sidelines for it

Looking at it again now, it really looks like Smith went in expecting to need a lot more force to get Robsinson to the ground, but when Mullen has driven him down himself Smith has more or less lost control of his body and grabbed/fallen on his head in an awkward way. I know everyone will laugh and say im reaching but that's really what it looked like. I didnt see a second effort at all. Hardly what I'd call a head slam, but if the NRL are trying to cut everything out of the game then I'm not surprised he was sighted for it, especially given his reputation for the niggle.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Looking at it again now, it really looks like Smith went in expecting to need a lot more force to get Robsinson to the ground, but when Mullen has driven him down himself Smith has more or less lost control of him and fallen on his head in an awkward way. I know everyone will laugh and say im reaching but that's really what it looked like. I really think he had his arm there with the expectation to make a big slamming tackle, when when Mullen beat him to it he lost control. I didnt see a second effort at all. Hardly what I'd call a head slam, but if the NRL are trying to cut everything out of the game then I'm not surprised he was sighted for it, especially given his reputation for the niggle.

You are 100% right.

Everyone will laugh.

For me the suspension seems a little long for the incident, but that's the price of doing business the way Smith does. He's got to wear the extra weeks that come with this reputation if he's going to continually do grubby things on a regular basis

Rod

Bench
One week less than one of the more dangerous spear tackles in recent times :lol:.

I could cop 1-2 weeks but 4 is just harsh. No second effort, the 'head slam' contact came as a result of Mullen's tackle and was all in the one motion, Smith just happened to be on top while Mullen went low. He probably shouldn't have had his arms so high up on Robinson's body but that mistake isn't worth 4 weeks on the sideline. Ridiculous.

gronkathon

First Grade
2 - 3 was what I was expecting tbh.

His arm does break contack with the player at one point and that is why I believe it to be deemed a second effort

Noname36

First Grade
For me the suspension seems a little long for the incident, but that's the price of doing business the way Smith does. He's got to wear the extra weeks that come with this reputation if he's going to continually do grubby things on a regular basis

That's what is ridiculous though. His suspension time should reflect the incident which it certainly doesn't. It shouldn't reflect the fact that Robinson was injured or his reputation. If the refs want to penalise him or put him on report for other "grubby" things he does then they should, but they should not go towards his suspension for another issue entirely. To put it into perspective he got almost as long as Inu did. That's absolutely ridiculous.

God-King Dean

Immortal
839283-head-slam.gif

How anyone can try & tell me that's not a headslam is mind boggling.

It's the cliche, the epitome, the classical example, the definitive, the ultimate.

Latest posts