What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How we looking Big Pete?

ALX25

Bench
Queensland Maroons coach Billy Slater has today confirmed Corey Oates and Tom Dearden will play in Game III of the State of Origin series.

Oates joined the Maroons in camp last night to prepare for his ninth State of Origin match in Queensland colours.

His call up comes after a string of consistent performances for the Brisbane Broncos and his selection in Queensland’s 22-player squad for Game II.

He replaces Murray Taulagi, who has been ruled out of the decider at Suncorp Stadium after a PCR swab confirmed he has COVID-19.

With Cameron Munster also having returned a positive PCR swab, Dearden will come into the Maroons 17 with the final line-up still to be confirmed.

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/07/09/statement-maroons-confirm-changes-to-squad/

Big Pete

Referee
That's a huge blow, Munster just gives the team a lot of belief. Dearden won't let the team down but it's a massive ask.

I've got mixed feelings on Oates. I would have preferred a Tabuai-Fidow/Holmes pairing but considering how Hamiso has been used this season I can understand Billy erring on the side of caution and sticking with the form option. It's actually one position the Maroons could improve on considering Taulagi's less than impressive debut.

ALX25

Bench
292466239_10162051200978696_6538474530378441523_n.jpg

Big Pete

Referee
Singin' Aye Aye Yippee Yippee Aye
Singin' Aye Aye Yippee Yippee Aye
Singin' Aye Aye Yippee Yippee Aye Aye Yippee Yippee Aye Aye Yippee Yippee Aye!

Queensland 22 (Holmes, Capewell, Ponga, Hunt tries; Holmes 3/4 goals) def. New South Wales 12

One of the gutsiest Origin wins in history. Lose Munster & Taulagi on the eve of the game, then lose Cobbo and Collins early and the boys just found a way to rise to the occassion.

The coaching obviously had a huge impact because the win reminded me of so many from that 06-17 period. The spine just played some fantastic footy on the back-foot. Ponga broke 18 tackles, the kicking game from Cherry-Evans and Hunt was effective and Dearden was all class in everything he did.

I said before the game Tom wouldn't let the Maroons down and while I believe it was a huge asked he more than responded to the task.

In fact all the Cowboys were brilliant for the Maroons. Nanai was a constant danger, Holmes had some huge touches and Gilbert was a machine. His effort through out the game was enormous but that recovery of the Holmes touch back takes the cake. He's busted his gut for 60 odd minutes, has players coming from both directions and he still has the calmness to reel the ball in and keep the pressure on NSW.

I felt in that first half the game was slipping. Then Cherry-Evans put together a great kick towards the sideline that Tupou bit on. The Maroons close to the line challenged the Blues around the ruck, Grant put in a kick that really ought to have been grounded by the Blues but Capewell somehow squeezes in between and gets there first.

Start of the second half, Queensland go close only for a brawl between Gagai and Burton to deny them. Somehow the Maroons on the back-foot hang on, the Blues start making errors and the Maroons started getting some real success with the early kicks. Suddenly the Blues found themselves in a hole and through weight of possession, Ponga beats two tackles to score a vital try to put the Maroons infront.

The Maroons keep the pressure on but the Blues defence was too resilient. Just as the Blues looked like they were going to steal the game light, Cleary's do or die kick is plucked by Ben Hunt and Ben scores the most important try of his career to seal one of the most memorable Maroons victories of all-time.

ALX25

Bench
Queensland have pulled off one of their greatest and courageous wins in State of Origin history, forced to come from behind with 15 players to take out the 2022 series 22-12 at Suncorp Stadium.

Maroons forward Patrick Carrigan has taken out the 2022 Wally Lewis medal for player of the Ampol State of Origin series.

Carrigan made his Origin debut in Game One of this year's series with a stunning performance in the opening match in Sydney before another barnstorming effort against the Blues on Wednesday night.

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/07/13/maroons-surge-to-seal-one-of-great-origin-series-wins/ & https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/07/13/i-dont-know-what-to-say-carrigan-claims-wally-lewis-medal/

ALX25

Bench
During Saturday's loss to the Sea Eagles, Newcastle coach Adam O'Brien said Edrick Lee suffered a foot injury which the winger fears is a recurrence of that which saw him miss the 2021 season.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
2023 Queensland Team / Depth

1. Kalyn Ponga / Reece Walsh / AJ Brimson
2. Murray Taulagi / Corey Oates
3. Val Holmes / Philip Sami / Brenko Lee
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow / Dane Gagai / Corey Allan
5. Selwyn Cobbo / Kyle Feldt / Jojo Fifita
6. Cameron Munster / Tom Dearden / Ezra Mam
7. Daly Cherry-Evans / Sam Walker
8. Christian Welch / Lindsay Collins
9. Ben Hunt / Reed Mahoney