What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How we looking Big Pete?

Big Pete

Referee
Queensland Under 19s Team
1. Isaiah Iongi - Penrith Panthers
2. Jacob Mene - North Queensland Cowboys
3. Sosefo Fifita - Gold Coast Titans
4. Robert Toia - Sydney Roosters
5. Xavier Chatfield-Mooka - Sydney Roosters
6. Harradyn Wilson - Brisbane Broncos
7. Thomas Duffy - North Queensland Cowboys
8. Xavier Va'a (c) - Sydney Roosters
9. Blake Mozer - Brisbane Broncos
10. Paul Bryan - Newcastle Knights
11. Edward Hampson - Newcastle Knights
12. Jack Howarth - Melbourne Storm
13. Luke Jack - North Queensland Cowboys

14. Jye Gray - Brisbane Broncos
15. Benjamin Te Kura - Brisbane Broncos
16. Josiah Pahulu - Gold Coast Titans
17. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - North Queensland Cowboys

18. Ragarive Wavik - North Queensland Cowboys
19. Tane Kiriona - Canberra Raiders
20. Kaleb Ngamu - Gold Coast Titans
21. Shaun Packer - Brisbane Broncos
22. Angus Hinchey - Norths Devils

Big Pete

Referee
Jye Gray now with the Rabbitohs @Big Pete
Ta, was just waiting for it to be official.

If I'm reading into it correctly, Souths offering him a place in their Development Squad and then a potential NRL spot was the clincher. Brisbane weren't prepared to make that commitment with Mam already being promoted to the NRL and Oloapu coming through. I'd have to check but I believe Karl is on a Development deal from next year.

If not, the Dolphins will be hot on his heels.

ALX25

Juniors
Queensland will now have an even deeper connection to the mighty Queensland Maroons this State of Origin series thanks to XXXX, Queensland Rugby League’s longest-running partner and one of Queensland’s most iconic brands.

XXXX is giving its prominent branding on the sleeve of the Maroons jersey to regional Queensland communities at Game II and III of the 2022 Origin series.

Game II Postcodes
Player number Player Community Postcode
1 Kalyn Ponga Mackay 4740
2 Selwyn Cobbo Cherbourg 4605
3 Valentine Holmes Townsville 4814
4 Dane Gagai Mackay 4740
5 Murray Taulagi Durack-Inala 4077
6 Cameron Munster Rockhampton 4701
7 Daly Cherry-Evans Mackay 4740
8 Lindsay Collins Brisbane Brothers 4053
9 Ben Hunt Dingo 4702
10 Josh Papalii Woodridge 4114
11 Kurt Capewell Charleville 4470
12 Felise Kaufusi Bundaberg 4670
13 Tino Fa'asuamaleuai Gympie 4570
14 Harry Grant Yeppoon 4703
15 Jai Arrow Palm Beach 4221
16 Pat Carrigan Holland Park 4121
17 Jeremiah Nanai Cairns 4870
18 Tom Dearden Mackay 4740
19 Tom Flegler Tully 4854
20 Beau Fermor Dalby 4405
21 Corey Oates Baralaba 4702
22 Reece Walsh Nerang 4211

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06...give-a-xxxx-to-celebrate-pride-of-queensland/

Big Pete

Referee
New South Wales 44 def. Queensland 12 (Kaufusi, Ponga tries; Holmes 2/2 goals)

Disappointing performance from Queensland. At 12-8 they appeared to have their noses infront but once Cobbo spilled the ball off the bomb and NSW were awarded repeat set after repeat set it took it's toll on the Maroons. With a player in the bin, NSW took full advantage and from there managed the game really well. Queensland couldn't cope and the young wingers struggled making errors that put the Maroons under pressure and allowed the Blues to score.

Once Luai scored to make it 26-12 you could just sense the flood-gates open as the Maroons clearly had their minds on the decider. Meanwhile NSW continued to go for the kill and loaded up on points.

A lot will be said about that five minutes leading into half-time, but from the Maroons perspective it was their right-side defence that let the team down. Cobbo's errors coming out of trouble and the efforts in defence just got exploited heavily by the Blues and made a big difference.

The loss of Cotter also proved vital. The Maroons interchange was amock as the other players struggled to maintain the intensity Cotter displayed in that opening game.

Obviously things look grim but with the decider to be played at Suncorp and the good-will Slater earned coming from Game I it'll be interesting to see what the Maroons come up with. I thought outside of the interchange usage, the early tackle kicks behind To'o actually backfired on the Maroons as the Blues are always strong working it out of trouble.

Reflector

Juniors
Queensland will now have an even deeper connection to the mighty Queensland Maroons this State of Origin series thanks to XXXX, Queensland Rugby League’s longest-running partner and one of Queensland’s most iconic brands.

XXXX is giving its prominent branding on the sleeve of the Maroons jersey to regional Queensland communities at Game II and III of the 2022 Origin series.

Game II Postcodes
Player number Player Community Postcode
1 Kalyn Ponga Mackay 4740
2 Selwyn Cobbo Cherbourg 4605
3 Valentine Holmes Townsville 4814
4 Dane Gagai Mackay 4740
5 Murray Taulagi Durack-Inala 4077
6 Cameron Munster Rockhampton 4701
7 Daly Cherry-Evans Mackay 4740
8 Lindsay Collins Brisbane Brothers 4053
9 Ben Hunt Dingo 4702
10 Josh Papalii Woodridge 4114
11 Kurt Capewell Charleville 4470
12 Felise Kaufusi Bundaberg 4670
13 Tino Fa'asuamaleuai Gympie 4570
14 Harry Grant Yeppoon 4703
15 Jai Arrow Palm Beach 4221
16 Pat Carrigan Holland Park 4121
17 Jeremiah Nanai Cairns 4870
18 Tom Dearden Mackay 4740
19 Tom Flegler Tully 4854
20 Beau Fermor Dalby 4405
21 Corey Oates Baralaba 4702
22 Reece Walsh Nerang 4211

See: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06...give-a-xxxx-to-celebrate-pride-of-queensland/
I thought how it'd be funny if GI was still playing and the postcode on his sleeve began with a 2...

Sure Cobbo was bad but Nanai...wtf was he doing? He looked completely lost out there tonight.

I don't know where we go from here. Stick with the same team out of loyalty, or bring in a bit of experience to replace the young guys (but who?) Flegler, Mo, Fermor, B Lee, Brimson are a few names that come to mind, nothing earth shattering but far more experienced (except Fleg) and hopefully safer than the guys they'd be replacing.

And what's the point in having Papa in the side if he's only gonna be able to play 25 minutes a game? And even when he was on the field in both of those games he's been so underwhelming. What's happened to him?

Last edited:
I thought bringing in Tuilagi over Coates was a big mistake by Qld and it proved right in the end. The kids a weapon but he has pressure mistakes in him and NSW exploited that.

Also how long can Qld carry Gagai and Ponga with their terrible defencive records? They both need to spend some time with The Axe and Tunza working on their commitment to contact

ALX25

Juniors
QLD Injury Report
Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga has been ruled out of Friday's game against the Titans due to concussion protocols.

The Maroons number one was taken from the field for a head injury assessment in the final stages of Sunday's Origin clash after a tackle from Blues halfback Nathan Cleary. Category one protocols require Ponga to sit out for a seven day period, meaning he will be unavailable for the match against the Titans. The Maroons will be hopeful of having him available for Game Three, which will be played on Wednesday, July 13.

Elsewhere in Origin, Maroons superstar Cameron Munster will undergo scans for a shoulder injury that rendered him a "passenger" in Queensland's 44-12 loss to New South Wales. Munster injured his left shoulder and left Optus Stadium with his left arm in a sling after a 45th minute tackle by NSW centre Stephen Crichton.

"I was a bit of a passenger out there," Munster told reporters after the match. "My body's not holding up as good as I'd like it to be, but fingers crossed I can get myself right. I'll get a scan tomorrow and we'll go from there."

See: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/25/nrl-casualty-ward-all-the-latest-injury-news/

Spot On

Coach
Also how long can Qld carry Gagai and Ponga with their terrible defencive records? They both need to spend some time with The Axe and Tunza working on their commitment to contact

Hopefully for many, many more years.

QLDers just too loyal to see the obvious weaknesses in their side.

ALX25

Juniors
Storm superstar Cameron Munster is out of Thursday night clash against Manly with a shoulder injury suffered in Origin Two.

Munster will rest his irritated AC joint this week but is expected to be available in round 17.

Trent Loiero out with back spasms.

Big Pete

Referee
Queensland Maroons Game III
1 Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights
2 Selwyn Cobbo - Brisbane Broncos
3 Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys
4 Dane Gagai - Newcastle Knight
5 Murray Taulagi - North Queensland Cowboys
6 Cameron Munster - Melbourne Storm
7 Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles
8 Lindsay Collins - Sydney Roosters
9 Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons
10 Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
11 Kurt Capewell - Brisbane Broncos
12 Jeremiah Nanai - North Queensland Cowboys
13 Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Gold Coast Titans

14 Harry Grant - Melbourne Storm
15 Jai Arrow - South Sydney Rabbitohs
16 Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos
17 Tom Gilbert- North Queensland Cowboys

18 Tom Dearden - North Queensland Cowboys
19 Thomas Flegler - Brisbane Broncos
20 Beau Fermor - Gold Coast Titans
21 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - North Queensland Cowboys
22. Sam Walker - Sydney Roosters

Big Pete

Referee
Only one change to the Queensland line-up with Tom Gilbert coming in for Felise Kaufusi. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow also returns to the squad for Corey Oates and Sam Walker gets his opportunity to be around the squad.

I like the selection of Gilbert. Slater had the opportunity to select Fermor or Fifita but I feel like Tom's physical style lends itself better to the Origin arena and it's a good reward for the Cowboys who are playing quality team-first footy.

I'm not sure if Slater will continue to run with that starting squad. I felt the Maroons didn't rotate their pack as well as they could have and I would not be shocked at all to see a Carrigan come in for Tino. I also wouldn't be shocked if Nanai starts from the bench, but I like the idea of trying to get Nanai into the game earlier. He made a bad defensive error in Game II but Queensland were well and truly on the back-foot before he came on.