What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you attempt to build a gold coast team

bender

Juniors
How would everyone here, like to see the GC team built and purchased.

For mine, i would like to see the GC make an arrangement with the Tweed and Burleigh Bears, so that the majority of the club chooses at least 13 players (in their full squad) from these two teams. These should be the best 13 that these 2 teams can produce and it would be good if some of the loyal Gold Coast journeymen style players would make it to the GC squad. Further, I would like to see the GC add several ex chargers that are still running around. Players like Stuart Kelly, Andrew Dunneman, Russel Bussian, Adrian Vowles etc These are guys who likely will not win the competition or even necessarilly play in first grade for the full season, but who could fill in when needed and would hopefully give the GC a bit of a club feel. Hopefully several of these players would retire and go on to an off field role in the club.

I would like to think that this would give the Gold Coast about 17 back up players. From there, they should only purchase players who are of origin/test match star calibur such as Jason Lyons, Luke Bailey etc or who are prepared to play for a very good price, due to their connections to the area or other factors. From the players mentioned, this might include players like Jamaal Lolesi, Preston Campbell, Josh Perry. etc. I would not like to see more than about 2 journeyman style players and also would not like to see first grade size contracts handed out for more than about 2 promising players who dont currently hold down fulltime first grade positions eg Steve Turner, Brett Inglis style players. I am not picking on these players particularly or saying they definitely shouldnt be bought, but i would hate to see the GC end up paying the full salary cap for a squad which looks something like Souths did when they returned to the NRL a few years ago.

I would rather see the Gold Coast purchase for example (using players mentioned in the press already):
Bailey, Lyons, Campbell, Mason, Fielden, Perry, Lolesi and use Burleigh/Tweed and other bargain buy players to fill the rest of the team (presumably leaving a large chunk under the salary cap to purchase marquee players in year 2 and 3). In other words if they only sign 7 or less current NRL first graders then so be it, provided they are top of the range players.

Than for the club to purchase 25 Fringe first Graders (maybe even including most of the players i mentioned above) but have no room to buy next year.

nqboy

First Grade
Negative on the Kelly, Dunemann, Bussian, Vowles thing, this is not a retirement home we're building here.

Campbell and Bailey is a good start. Lyons would be terrific if they can get him but they need several good strong props so Fielden at the right price would be invaluable as well. Dunno if the quality is there for all the Burleigh/Tweed players to play NRL. Brent McConnell is a good cheap option at half (though we still want him at the Cowboys) and someone mentioned Devere as a professional with a great work ethic and goalkicker, there's probably none better.

Perry - definitely not. Mason - you won't get him anyway but you don't want him either.

Work on junior links and development, and then see what comes on the market next year.

Collateral

Coach
I think the Gold Coast need to look at South Sydney and how they went wrong at enterring the comp.

Gold Coast have a HUGE plus on thier side...Location.

If i was in the NRL I would consider leaving the Dragons to be able to live and play on the Gold Coast. It is an attraction that a lot of players can relate to.

They need to keep their finances top notch too, but with the sponsors and support going on up there that shouldnt be a problem.

They shouldnt fall into the trap of buying washed up has beens with nothing to offer (Josh Perry). If they are not going to buy a current first grader then invest in their younger players or young guns from other clubs.

Dakink

Bench
I beleive the GC need to sign players with the correct Attitude to training and club work. Luke Bailey is a big example of a perfect buy for the Coast. A hard training players who is regarded as a big club man. Someone who will help build the feel of a club and show loyalty to the club. Campbell is another that shows great loyalty and provided they surround him with the right defensive players, he could be another good acquisition.

The Coast itself and surrounding areas have a strong junior base to develop THE FUTURE.

bazza

Immortal
I think this year they should look at signing some good young players between 17 to 21 and getting them to play for Burliegh/Tweed for next year under the coaching staff for the NRL team.
This should get the players to get some combinations and used to the caoching they will get for 2007.
When the competition starts they will have the basis of a team with whatever experienced players they can get from current NRL/ESL sides.

dimitri

First Grade
I think they should just try and get a real good sprinkling of local juniors

that would sure get the crowds behind them

brokendigit

Juniors
I think that the GC should be overly-cautious in attempting to sign too many big-names.

Bailey & Campbell are a good start, & should attract some other quality players, but there are too many pitfalls in focusing on attracting 'names'.

It is a club the GC needs to build, not just a team.

With that in mind, I believe that hard-working, quality scouts at various levels around the country are the key. There are a great number of fringe NRL players running around at the moment who are destined to have a huge impact on the NRL, & they are the ones who should be snapped up whilst trying to crack 1st Grade.

Scouts should be focusing on Premier League & Flegg sides (as well as under-age rep sides) to make up the bulk of the squad, & supplementing them with 'key' signings (ie: Bailey, Campbell etc.).

joejoe

Juniors
I agree, its very important that the Gold Coast utilises and develops its juniors.

Latest posts