What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you like to be Sam Burgess??

He is the 18 year old who absolutly smashed Fui in the NZ/GB test; once legitimately and once illegally.

NZRL 'gobsmacked' by decision regarding Gilmour

Written by: NZRL media

image.php
[z]1725[/z]New Zealand Rugby League chairman Andrew Chalmers says he’s “gobsmacked” no action is to be taken against Great Britain prop Sam Burgess for a high tackle that has left Kiwi front rower Fuifui Moimoi with jaw and neck injuries.

Moimoi (28) is on painkillers after being collared by Burgess (18) in Saturday night’s 14-20 first test loss at Galpharm Stadium in Huddersfield.

The Kiwi prop is expected to play in Saturday’s second test in Hull but couldn’t take part in a field training session with the team today. Since the test, he has also been unable to eat most solid foods.

But despite the nature of the tackle and its after-effects Burgess, who was put on report by referee Tony Archer, was today cleared for the second test by a three-man match review panel.

Convened by Rugby Football League employee and former test referee Stuart Cummins, the panel also included Great Britain team manager Abi Ekoku and NZRL board member Neville Kesha, also a former test referee.

Kesha advocated Burgess’ tackle should be referred to a judicial hearing but he was again out-voted 2-1, as he was last week when considering a high tackle case involving Great Britain front rower Adrian Morley.

“It’s déjà vu. It was an appalling set-up job to let Morley free last week and this one just leaves me gobsmacked,” said Chalmers, who sat in on today’s hearing as an observer.
“Great Britain coach Tony Smith invited us to ‘send someone with some weight’ to future hearings. We took his advice. We sent two of the heaviest people we could find – All Golds manager Malcolm Boyle and me – but we were still carved up faster than a pork roast at a hangi.

“There is absolutely nothing equitable about the system the RFL has in place. They have two sets of rules – one to suit them and one for dealing with us.”

Immediately after making a “loaded” decision not to refer Burgess’ charge, the Great Britain camp counter-charged Moimoi for allegedly using an elbow with his leading arm when tackled by Burgess in a separate incident late in the match.
Chalmers said neither he nor anyone involved with the New Zealand camp had been notified in advance that Moimoi would be cited.

“These people show a flagrant disregard for their own rules, or they just simply opt to use them or discard them as and when it suits them,” he said.

“The regulations in place require any citing, apart from players put on report or ordered off, to be lodged in writing by 10.30am the day after the test.

“This wasn’t done in this case. The first we knew of anything to do with a potential charge against Fuifui was when we walked into the RFL’s hearing at Red Hall (RFL headquarters) this morning.

“Instead the RFL told us a verbal citing was lodged with the match commissioner immediately after the test on Saturday night. But who bothered to let us know? No one. We don’t have a clairvoyant on staff.”

Chalmers said a report from Kiwi team doctor Simon Mayhew was tabled at the meeting, noting that Moimoi had suffered a whiplash injury from the tackles but this evidence was barely considered.

“There wasn’t a moment’s hesitation from the home-based parties in dismissing the case against Burgess. They staggeringly said it was in his favour that he didn’t let go of Fuifui,” he said.

“But once they moved onto Fuifui’s incident, the tone changed completely.

“Abi (Ekoku) claimed Fuifui ‘went with intent into this challenge’. As an observer I wasn’t entitled to speak but I couldn’t stop myself from pointing out the video clearly showed the contact (by Fuifui’s forearm) was with Burgess’ upper chest.”

That resulted in the panel dismissing further action against Moimoi but the meeting finished with a discussion about the RFL’s judicial process and the need for updating and greater neutrality.

“Stuart (Cummins) agreed the process was out of date,” said Chalmers.

“He said they needed to look at systems for the World Cup to develop something he called more neutral.

“With this current system in place the numbers will always be stacked against us Kiwis. They seem intent on treating us like a bunch of natives from the colonies.”

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=14931

1. The kid gave Fui a concussion
2. He forced Fui to get on the painkillers
3. He has made him miss training
4. The tackle was cleared!! even though it was very similar to Moimois on Kite which saw him suspended for 10 weeks!
5. They accused Fui of lifting his elbow
6. and perhaps the thing that will infuriate Fui the most, he has been unable to eat most solid foods!

I think its safe to say that Bugess is a DEAD MAN next time they play this weekend! We are just lucky that the Judicary panel over there is lenient... because after this match, who knows what charges Fui might be facing?

strider

Post Whore
i'm not doubting Fui's toughness or ability to fight - but when was the last time Fui actually decked someone?

I think he's a changed player these days - he recognises the importance of staying on the field ..... parra fans are always "oh look out - fui's gonna smash you" or "don't run at fui or else" ..... but reality is he's no longer a hit man - he's a destructive running forward

The Colonel

Immortal
Pathetic decision by the RFL...... VERY ordinary tackle but then so was Morely's tackle from the week before. Had it been Moimoi on Burgess we would have been missing Fui for half the season....

The Colonel

Immortal
And just on Fui...... I honestly think he should count himself lucky to have been selected on this tour and I'm not sure that he will be there again if the Kiwis are at full strength. He works well in the Eels rotation but he hasn't had the same impact at the International level.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
And just on Fui...... I honestly think he should count himself lucky to have been selected on this tour and I'm not sure that he will be there again if the Kiwis are at full strength. He works well in the Eels rotation but he hasn't had the same impact at the International level.

I think, in fairness to Fui, he is being used as a "hitman" when he isn't one. From what I saw of the match he was poorly utilised, they wanted him to make the big hits rather than running him on a fringe and hitting him up after fast play the balls...

Bigfella

Coach
“Great Britain coach Tony Smith invited us to ‘send someone with some weight’ to future hearings. We took his advice. We sent two of the heaviest people we could find – All Golds manager Malcolm Boyle and me – but we were still carved up faster than a pork roast at a hangi.

This bloke is doing avery good job of highlighting the unfairness and old-fashioned approach of the international judiciary process on this tour.

Colourful language, provocative, but making a very strong point.

I hope something comes of it.

lucablight

First Grade
The Colonel said:

He isn't being used correctly IMO. He should be coming off the bench as an impact player.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bigfella said:
Fui wasn't looking though, totally blindsided

:lol: :lol:

I'll email ricky stuart to demand he tells aussie players to tap Moi Moi on the shoulder pre warning him :lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
He might be used incorrectly but good players adapt - he may take some time but I highly doubt he will be playing for the Kiwis at the World Cup...... Tonga will welcome him back,

lucablight

First Grade
Fui is a great player. Getting through heaps of dirty work like a Bailey, Price or Asotasi just isn't his go.

The Colonel

Immortal
I am aware of that. But once you bring back players like Fa'alogo, Jason and Nathan Cayless, Sonny Bill Williams etc there won't be a place for him as either type of player.