What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How you would book....

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
This thread isn't a full on BTB as such.
More as ideas/run downs on how you'd book certain events
Say you didn't like the way nWo 2003 was booked, or you didn't like the invasion angle etc. How you'd book the ECW expansion. How you'd book the Shield break up etc etc

For me, one clear event stands out and its the Royal Rumble 2006. I felt it was very poorly booked (the rumble itself, rest of the card happy with)

This thread isnt another BTB as such, more as for certain PPVs/Angles that happened that you'd think you'd do better.

For example, I always refer back to the Royal Rumble 2006 (my BTB was heading that way until it stopped. Half tempted to start it again)

What happened? Triple H and Rey were first two in, and were both in the final 3. Rey being the face with Hunter and Orton heels. Rey ultimately going on to win.

How I'd book it - Given the same exact 30 entrants.

Order of entry would change to:

1. Nitro
2. Psicosis
3 . Super Crazy
4. Simon Dean
5. Mercury
6 Sylvan
7Orlando Jordan
8 Road Warrior Animal
9 Rey Mysterio
10 Chavo
11 Eugene
12 Carlito
13 RVD
14 Masters
15 HBK
16 Booker T
17 Benoit
18 Hardy
19 Vicsera
20 Kane
21 Coachman
22 Tatanka
23 Goldust
24 Big Show
25 Flair
26 Shelton Benjamin
27 Murdoch
28 HHH
29 Orton
30 Lashley

The way I'd look at it - First 10 entrants builds up tag teams Mexicools get eliminations on Dean and Sylvan. MnM get eliminations on Mexicools and Jordan
Animal comes in and basically stops MnM from dominating.
Rey/Chavo both get long spells in as an ode to Eddie.
Carlito and Masters work well together, no break up there.
HBK comes in with a target, eliminates MnM
Back-ending the rumble, as with a weakened roster I felt building up MnM, Carlito/Masters and with good showings from HBK, Rey and Chavo could compensate. The problem IRL with the rumble in 2006 was alot of their bigger threats to win came out early. The last 10 entrants only really had RVD and Orton as legit contenders.
Booker/Benoit take each other out continuing their long standing fued.

I'd look at having the following as the remaining competitors: Orton, Rey, Triple H, RVD, HBK, Lashley, Kane and Big Show
Final 4- HBK, Orton, Lashley and Triple H - Remember Lashley was unbeaten and hot at the time.
Final 2 of HBK - Orton
Orton wins the rumble.

Sets up the following card at WM

Orton Vs Henry for the title after Taker costs Angle the title at No Way Out.

Taker Vs Angle (Angle accepted Takers challenge at RR but peeterd out to nothing IRL)

MnM Vs Rey/Chavo for tag titles

Edge Vs Foley just like it happened

Triple H Vs HBK -

Benoit Vs Booker one final time, US title match

Trish Vs Mickie for Womens Title

Show/Kane Vs Carlito/Masters for titles

MITB Shelton, Matt Hardy, Flair, Lashley, Goldust (build him back to what he used to be) and JBL

Possibly another Divas match, Id have Lita wrestle against a Diva of Mick Foleys choice, Christy Hemme as she hasn't gone to TNA as of yet and Lita mentored her.

For good measure and to round the card out I'd have Helms defend his title against Kid Kash, Paul London and Jamie Noble.

Why have I gone this way?

All due respect to Rey and I see why they made him win. It stunk imo. Token gesture because Eddie went. Rey deserved to win the title, but on his own merit. I'd have waiting a year or so if they were keen on giving it to him. With so many big guys like Taker, Kane, Show, Lashley, Henry on the card with Batista to return and monsters like Khali and Umaga about to come - Rey was not a good choice as champion for that time. Might get a bit of hate here for it.

Angle would have been a much more credible opponent for Taker than Henry. Henrys match with Taker was probably the worst of the streak and most predictable.

Benoit/Booker have ALOT of history. This could even be built as the loser leaves SD! to stop more re-matches between the two.

I'd have Carlito/Masters give Kane and Show a good run for their money. Not just a squash match. I'd like to have seen CCC and Masters tag for longer because as far as two random wrestlers with not much else going - they worked very well. I'd rather see them tag than watch the Spirit Squad or The Highlanders.

Going back to Rey for a second, with MnM being built up nicely, and momentum going for Chavo/Rey (obvious Eddie push), I'd hope this would be a fairly unpredictable match and all 4 can put on good showings.

Triple H Vs HBK Many of you will be thinking snooze, another fued between these two. Lets build a scene here first, DX reunion fully on the go after the Rumble UNTIL Vinnie Mac decides (as he is fueding with HBK) that the two best buddies will face each other. Tensions are raised between the two former buddies, corporation 2.0 looks to be on the cards, HHH, Shane, Steph, Cade/Murdoch, Spirit Squad all get involved. HBK calls for help from former friends, but with Outlaws and Nash in TNA, the only ones who come to his aid are Xpac and Marty Jannetty. At WM they have a battle for the ages, which Triple H eventually wins. The McMahons come out to celebrate/congratulate Triple H in which he pedigrees them both! Helps HBK up and shakes it hand. DX is revived. HBK/HHH and Pac are back! Jannetty doesn't return. Later revealed Bishoff is behind the return of DX as last we saw he was 'Fired' and taken away in a garbage truck.

Trish/Mickie fued had been building for a while and had to culiminate in a WM match.

Edge/Foley writes itself. Their match was epic, my favourite on the card.

The MITB match, I'd use to elevate either Benjamin or Hardy to the next step up, not RVD. While a fan favourite and was nice to see him win, he didn't actually need it.

Lita/Hemme is more a filler match, but it has history, utilizes Hemme and adds to the Edge/Foley storyline. Lita is a great divas wrestler, one of my favourites of all time. I'd rather have seen this than a playboy pillow fight.

The Cruiserweight division is a fun one, I'd look at re-building it to its former glory days in wCw.

"The Rise of Samoa Joe"

With Seth Rollins out injured and the introduction of a tournament to crown a new champion at the Survivor Series, WWE COO Triple H announces one spot in the tournament will be allocated to a worthy NXT performer. In a rematch of sorts, a battle royal is announced by NXT GM William Regal, to be showcased on Raw. The final four are Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Barron Corbin and Apollo Crews. Corbin and Crews eliminate eachother, and start brawling ringside, and somewhere between bein eliminated and security breaking up the ruckus, a chair ends up in opne of the corners of the ring. Joe and Balor go at it for five minutes, and finally Joe eliminates Balor on the back of a chairshot. Joe advances.

In his preliminary bout, Joe makes his Raw singles debut against the Big Show, and taps the veteran giant out in under five minutes with the coquina clutch. Commentators are left shocked as Joe, refused to release the chokehold, and referees and security storm the ring and eventually get Joe to let go. Later on that night, Joe is congratulated by Triple H and Stephanie, but at the same time is warned to respect the rules of the ring. Joe responds by saying that respect is earned, and right now, no one on this roster has earned it.

Back in NXT, Joe's fued with Finn Balor heats up, after Balor's NXT title match ends in a no contest with Barron Corbin attacking number one contender Apollo Crews. Samoa Joe hit the ring to chase Corbin off, only to turn on his Dusty Rhodes tag team tournament partner, dropping Balor with a huge muscle buster, leaving fans stunned and chanting "why Joe, why?"

More to come

2009 Wrestlemania 25

Pre Royal Rumble
-Randy Orton had just punted Vince McMahon
-Jeff Hardy, going into a WHC match against Edge had been the victim of several random attacks, believed to be Edge who denied it
-HHH had been pulled from the rumble unless MVP (on a losing streak) won a match against a 'mystery' opponent, which ended up being the Big Show in a last man standing match, which he won courtesy of a HHH interference.

Rumble itself
Final 4
HHH (around 10)
Randy Orton (mid 20s)
Ted DiBiase (around 20)
Jericho (entering 30)

The three heels team up on Hunter, before Jericho takes out Ted. Randy flips out on him and sends him out, before HHH almost gets him out only for him to be saved by an already eliminated Ted DiBiase. Orton manages to get the win.

In the WHC match Hardy is all over Edge before CM Punk comes out and lays out Jeff Hardy with a GTS for Edge to retain.

Road to Wrestlemania
Orton says he has a guaranteed WWE Title shot at Wrestlemania. If he gets fired for what he did he will still have his shot and will take the title with him. Cena interjects, he has never had a problem with Randy until now. He doesn't appreciate him holding the company and the fans to ransom. Should he still hold his title after EC, he will take down Randy Orton on the biggest stage of all and embarrass him on the way out. Cena retains his title at EC, and Randy challenges him for the title at Wrestlemania. If Orton loses it is highly implied that he will be fired for punting Vince. Cena promises the fans that he will end Randy Orton for good.

MVP and HHH form an unlikely partnership against La Familia, HHH Wins a number 1 contenders elimination chamber match for Edge's title at Wrestlemania.

CM Punk starts his straight edge savior gimmick, complaining he is the perfect image to promote yet a guy like Jeff Hardy gets all the spotlight despite being a multiple time violator of the wellness policy. He has no regrets about repeatedly taking him down and will do the same to anyone else he feels gets unfairly favoured to him.

Jericho goes on his anti-legend spiel, he breaks up matches and rants about all the hall of fame inductees and hangers on who can't let it go. Kingston is on the receiving end of one of his beatdowns and takes exception to him bashing his idols.

Mania card
Singles Match
Jericho vs Kingston (Rourke and Flair watching from the front row)

Street Fight
CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy

IC Title vs Career
Rey Mysterio (title) vs JBL (career) - essentially the same match that happened but do it properly

4 Corners Tag Team Title Unifcation match
Legacy vs Cryme Tyme vs Colons vs Miz/Morrison

MITB
MVP vs Kane vs Matt Hardy vs Shelton Benjamin vs Christian vs Big Show vs Evan Bourne vs R-Truth (MVP wins and cashes in on HHH when he wins the title off Edge a month down the line, turning him back to his cocky heel persona)

World Heavyweight Championship
Edge vs Triple H

Singles match
Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker

Divas match
Who cares vs who cares

WWE Championship
Randy Orton vs John Cena

Randy wins after he punts Cena in the head. JR and King claim they have never been more disgusted with anything in a WWE ring before. They feel sick to their stomachs about this. Cena shows up on Raw and everyone backstage feels let down by him. The mid card to upper mid card faces can't look at him, and nobody wants to talk to him. In a tag team main event match on Raw the at the culmination of the show (Jeff/HHH/Cena vs Orton/Edge/Punk) both Jeff and HHH walk out on Cena leaving him to be beaten down by the three heels. Cena slowly melts down over the following weeks before snapping, and turning heel.

Big Pete

Referee
Cool thread.

Looking back, the most obvious change anyone could make to Wrestlemania 22 is shifting Angle v Taker to Wrestlemania. Normally I'm against putting all your eggs into the Wrestlemania basket, you've got to at least have 11 other marquee matches to sell me on and it's better to strike while the iron is hot. However, Taker's got his streak and including the Angle match on there would have been great for his legacy.

Or at least better than Mark Henry...

And I love the Hall of Pain, don't split my wig afinalsin666.

From there, it's a really interesting situation to be in because this show really set a tone for what was to come.

Do you ignore the vocal sub-section of fans who boo Cena at every major city? Or do you continue to promote him as the millenial Hogan?

Do you keep Money in the Bank around?

Does Rey still win the belt

etc. etc.

Personally, I still think Cena would have been over regardless. The cream rises to the top and Cena is just a step above in terms of how he carries himself. However, it was difficult to feel sympathy for him and I always think it's important to have a babyface overcome a really big odd. So I would have kept the championship off him when Edge cashed in, but still had him feud with Hunter. An interaction happens at the Rumble, they collide and they have a heated rivalry which leads to a street fight at Wrestlemania.

This allows Edge to remain as WWE Champion. My goal at this point would be to book him as the biggest heel in the promotion, so I'd put him against the biggest babyface which in my view was Shawn Michaels. These two would have torn the house down and having Edge beat him would buy him more resentment. Unfortunately we'd have to bid farewell to Edge v Foley, which was of course Mick's best Mania match, but then I thought that match just made Edge more sympathetic.

Then on SmackDown, I'd have Randy Orton win that Battle Royal in January for the vacant World Championship. At the Rumble, I'd have him face off against Taker and for whatever reason I'd have Angle there as my special guest referee where you would do the whole SummerSlam 97 deal with Angle in the role of HBK costing Taker the match. Those two would go their seperate ways, allowing Orton to get himself over as champion.

On the other side of the coin, Rey would still be my go to guy. While he wasn't originally supposed to win the championship and I'm sure the WWE were trying to profiteer from Eddie's death, Rey was still over with the SmackDown crowd and seemed like the next guy that was going to graduate from the mid-card. I would have capitilised on that and made Rey the biggest babyface on SD, starting off with the Rumble victory. However, the key here is turning down the Eddie aspect of his run and just letting his body of work do the talking. He'd be like Bret Hart circa 93-94. He wouldn't go out and cut big promos, he'd just give his honest assessment and his matches would be his bread and butter. So Rey wins the Rumble, Orton builds heat by beating The Undertaker and Benoit on consecutive PPVs before losing to Rey who goes on his run before you build to Dave's return.

Those would be my big four matches.

Now for the rest of the card...

Mickie James and Trish Stratus would take place as per program. That was one of the best diva programs of all-time and I don't see any reason to change it.

WWE were huge on Lashley at the time, so I'd put him into a showcase match against Booker T.

I need a fun sprint, so RVD v Carlito can fill that spot.

MNM and London/Kendrick were the two best tag teams going, so I'd book them into a program together, with the thought of making it a ladder match.

Is there a celebrity for the Big Show to face?

So in a nut-shell...

World Championship
Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton (c)

WWE Championship
Shawn Michaels vs Edge (c)

Kurt Angle vs The Undertaker

No Holds Barred
John Cena vs Triple H

Women's Championship
Mickie James vs Trish Stratus

WWE Tag Team Championship Ladder Match
The Hooligans vs MNM