What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howell Re-signed

raidersforme

Juniors
Howell a Raider until the end of ‘08
howelld_426.jpg
March 15, 2006
spacer.gif
Bustling centre David Howell has committed the next two seasons to wearing the lime green, after resigning with the Raiders until the end of 2008.​
Howell who has moved into the centres in the early rounds of 2006, has been earmarked as a star of the future by Canberra officials, and has been a priority signing since the end of last season.
Howell came to the Raiders in 2005 after two seasons with St George Illawarra, and ironically made his debut against Canberra in Round two of 2003.
Howell said he is happy that his future for the next couple of seasons is now secure, with the club assuring him a suitable replacement will be found for departing coach Matt Elliott.
“I don’t have to worry about it anymore and I can concentrate on my footy,” Howell said. “The coaching influenced my decision a bit and I held off a bit longer, but they have assured me here that they will make a good decision with the coaching staff for next year.”
Howell said the focus of the team is securely fixed to a solid season start, and said with his teammates also starting to re-sign, the future looks positive at Canberra.
“We’re all concentrating on football at the moment and trying to get the club off to a good start,” he said. “I’ve had a word to some of the guys who are thinking about re-signing, and we have a lot of young blokes coming up through the ranks so it looks like we have a big future at the club.”
Howell said his recent move to centre has given him the chance to cement a spot in the outside backs, and said he will look to fill the role as long as he can.
“I’ve got the chance to play centre now, I had a good game last week, so I’m looking to hold it there for the rest of the year,” he said.
Canberra Raiders General Manager Don Furner said the club is thrilled to have Howell’s name on another contract, and his recent form indicates he will be a key part of the Raider outfit in the upcoming seasons.
“We’re very happy that we have retained David Howell for a further two years by extending his contract from 2007 until the end of 2008,” Furner said. “He has shown some good form in the trials this year, and with his solid back end to last season he has been one of the priorities that we had targeted as having retained before the kick off this year.”
Furner said negotiations with Howell had been started at the end of last year, and he praised the help the club had received from out going Coach Matt Elliott.
“We commenced preliminary negotiations with him and his manager before Matt had made his decision to leave,” he said. “I’m very happy to say that Matt’s been very helpful in that negotiation process and encouraged David to stay here, and as Matt said to us all along, he was going to help us retain as many as we good players we could so we’re very happy that he’s over the line now and our retention policy is still very much in place.”

I cant believe they have done this and not resigned chalk or weyman

ak47

Juniors
i just heard this

F**CKIN F**CK

the ole trend continues

Hopefully he wanted 10K per year

thickos

First Grade
i'm not blaming management/coach/god/etc for it, I just feel Chalk will go. He knows he wont be fullback here until 2009 when Schif is retired and the Titans give him a shot at FB as of next year.

He may love it at the Raiders and stay, and that would be great, but I just feel it won't happen.

Howell's a good signing for depth.

peter_raiders

Juniors
No don't think Greenshields has signed with them yet. The dragons will obviously wait to see what Barrett is doing before they release Greenshields.

paulquinn49

Bench
I think Chalk is a lost cause, he could get starts at other clubs at Fullback, where as Thick said he would have to wait till 2009 here.

I'm a big Howell fan, so it is great to see him stay at the club.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I think its a good signing. He's no superstar, but then none of our players are. This signing was most probably undertaken under direction from the new coach, who ever it is.

Roy Rover

Juniors
After Saturday's stellar performance we'd be mad to let him go!
I sure hope he's not getting paid too much.
'Star of the Future'!!??!!
It's interesting he thought he had a good game last week because I thought he was sh*te!

raider_ktj

Juniors
I thought he played well last weekend, and im happy about his resigning. Pity if it causes Chalk to go though.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
most amusing quote ever " I had a good game last week"
WTF bomed a try and didn't do anything special what so ever...chalk is far better i dunno what they see in Howel

Paullyboy

Coach
You are kidding arent you Mr Howell? If you consider that a good game - Im terrified to see what happens when you have an average game or even, heaven forbid, a poor game.

He was absolutley atrocious out there - I guess we can kiss goodbye to Ale as well if this clown is going to hang around for 2 more years.

Macko8

Juniors
hmmmmm not the best resigning management could of made that is for sure.
2008 is a long time to have howell at the raiders if he under performs.

aussies1st

Staff member
Management said he had good trials and good games last year. Good? Solid yes but Good I don't think so. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Latest posts