What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's Faumuina looking, Raiders fans?

Kipper

Juniors
OK, I know that barb would have a lot more sting in it if you weren't about to go to 10/12 this season, but I'm liking this guy more and more. Obviously he prefers it when the going's good, but why was the hate so strong? From what I hear it was your jeers more than just homesickness that made him itch. We thought he had flair and potential, and we're the Warriors for God's sake.

Generally winter night games in Auckland are painful to watch and this was not really an exception (only watch the highlights and you'll think you missed a classic), but there was also a lot to like about tonight I think. Finally we've got that infusion of keen young blood just when our workmanlike jeans were starting to hang over our arse. Suddenly any apathy created by snug pay rises and long-term contracts has been stripped bare by yet another new batch of young talent. More missed tackles and bad options, Hohaia? Cut! Bad attitude Toopi? Cut! Zero line-breaks, Carlaw? Cut! Want to drop any more pill, Koopu? You'll be cut! More shocking passes from dummy-half, PJ? Origin smorigin, you're cut! Looking fat and driven back, Tookey? Cut! Millhouse, you're cut...

I'm obviously going overboard now, but you get the point. The hard part now is to keep morale up (which has seem strained) until a core line-up for our finals assault can be settled on.

kaon

Juniors
The great thing about the Raiders this year is that all the players want to be there (and why wouldn't you). In other years there were players who were wishing that they played for other clubs like the Roosters and Broncos. Faumuina didn't want to be at the Raiders and the best thing for both parties was for him to leave. From a Raiders fan point of view, he has never looked as good as he does in his current jersey. If he had stayed with the Raiders, he wouldn't have even had a chance at first grade.

The Warriors are probably suffering from a bout of over confidence where most of the players are expecting things to happen by themselves or by a teammate. It might take a few years for them to build the "dynasty" culture where every player has to put in every week.

BTW, great to see you here Kip.

legend

Coach
Good luck to the bloke I say. If he plays well elsewhere, then that's fine with me but putting it simply, he had no place in the Raiders squad. He stood out like a sore thumb and if Daniel Anderson can bring out the best in him, more power to the Warriors.

He makes a lot of mistakes but I will admit his game is gradually improving. Another defeat from the Raiders in a couple of weeks should knock the stuffing out of him again. :lol:

AliN

Live Update Team
Well Tony's always harped on about Faumuina aye Leg..
He played out of his skin last night, it was great to see..Anderson's finally done the big cut..Hohaia should enjoy his time in the Bartercard, he'll be there a while..

JoeD

First Grade
I don't know about Hohaia, I thought he was playing alright. The guy who I think it real lucky to still be there is Brent Webb. I don't know if it is his Qld upbringing or what but he seems to struggle the most in wet weather. Will somebody give him longer sprigs already. He seems to slip over nearly every time he gets the ball. Plus its not like Motu was doing anything wrong when he was playing at full back. Faumuina is going well, if he culd cut down his error rate a little more (and I don't think he is far away from doing that) he could be great. Monty had a good game on Sat night which I think proves he is playing out of position. His natural spot is at hooker not loose forward.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Brent Webb is having second season syndrome. Surely you have someone else like Motu Tony to play at fullback?

In response to the original question, he looking damn ugly :lol:

p666.jpg

AliN

Live Update Team
I don't think I have a snitcher on Hohaia, but I reckon he was getting a bit big headed. His tackling in which he was usually impressive, was lazy at times.
A stint in the Bartercard Cup will soon get him back on track.
Tony can fill at stand off really well, so it's no loss, except I reckon Webb shouldn't be fullback.

Tamazoid, both Fa'afili and Toopi if playing, can fill in at fullback if required. Motu Tony played very well there in the earlier games, and like Joe said, Webb tends to fall over in the slippery ground more often than not.

Back to Faumuina, his confidence is growing with each game. He's on the bench again this week, and will make an impact in the game against the Eels.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Aargh, dont get me started on Webb, Tony is twice as safe at the back, Webb does good things but makes way too many errors.
I think Kipper nailed it about Faumuina, our forward pack were starting to look too workmanlike with Lauiti'iti out but he's put the flair back into it. I mean look at our other back-rowers:
Betham, Koopu, Swann, Guttenbeil, Te Mata, they're all defensve grafters and hit-up merchants, with the possible exception of Swann, who is dodgy when he tries to be fancy anyway. We need the flair of a Lauitiiti type player to balance their style. I do like our front row setup though, a rotating propping lineup of Seu Seu, Tookey, Villisanti and Palea'esina is the way to go for us imho.

JoeD

First Grade
I agree with you SM, Faumuina adds balance to the pack. Motu is way safer than Webb and that front row rotation is looking real good. Villa back is just the tonic the Warriors needed to really get back on track.