What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt is No7 for Queensland

getsmarty

Immortal
STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt selected for Queensland Origin
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Mon 28 May 2018, 10:11 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons halfback Ben Hunt has been named to play for Queensland ahead of State of Origin I on Wednesday, June 6 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Hunt will start in the No. 7 jumper following the retirements of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston, and will be joined by Melbourne Storm's Cameron Munster in the halves.

The 28-year-old has only featured once previously for the Maroons, in last year's series decider from the bench.

Brisbane's Andrew McCullough, Gold Coast's Jai Arrow and Melbourne's Felise Kaufusi have all been named to make their respective State of Origin debuts following Tuesday morning's announcement.

Queensland State of Origin I team –

1. Billy SLATER - Melbourne Storm
2. Valentine HOLMES - Cronulla Sharks
3. Greg INGLIS (c) - South Sydney Rabbitohs
4. Will CHAMBERS - Melbourne Storm
5. Dane GAGAI - South Sydney Rabbitohs
6. Cameron MUNSTER - Melbourne Storm
7. Ben HUNT - St George Illawarra Dragons
8. Dylan NAPA - Sydney Roosters
9. Andrew McCULLOUGH - Brisbane Broncos
10. Jarrod WALLACE - Gold Coast Titans
11. Gavin COOPER - North Queensland Cowboys
12. Felise KAUFUSI - Melbourne Storm
13. Josh McGUIRE - Brisbane Broncos
Interchange:
14. Michael MORGAN - North Queensland Cowboys
15. Josh PAPALII - Canberra Raiders
16. Coen HESS - North Queensland Cowboys
17. Jai ARROW - Gold Coast Titans

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/28/hunt-selected-for-queensland-origin/

getsmarty

Immortal
STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt handed keys to Maroons castle
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Mon 28 May 2018, 03:30 PM

New Maroons half Ben Hunt has been told it is "his team" to run as Queensland selectors urge the new members of the spine to own the positions for the next six years.

A tally of 101 games of Origin experience walked out the door with the representative retirements of Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston and Cameron Smith over the last 12 months.

Origin debutant and Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough and halves combination Cameron Munster and Hunt, with two Origin games between them, were unveiled in the key spine positions at the Maroons team announcement at the XXXX Brewery in Brisbane on Monday.

Titans forward Jai Arrow and Storm forward Felise Kaufusi will also make their Queensland debuts in Game One of the Holden State of Origin series on June 6 at the MCG.

Queensland chairman of selectors Gene Miles urged Munster, Hunt and McCullough to grab their golden chance to pin down long-term Origin careers.

"The guys that have retired have over 100 Origin games between them and these guys in their early days can hopefully settle in those positions for the next six years," Miles said.

Walters names Origin I team

"They are so important the seven, six and nine these days. They have it all in front of them and we just hope they grab this with both hands and run with it.

"They have to step up. There is no more JT, no more Cooper Cronk and no more Cameron. This day was unfortunately coming at some stage, and here we are."

Hunt is set to be the lynchpin in the Maroons side.

"It will basically be Hunty's team and Kevvie [Walters] has told him that," Miles said.

"He's been doing a very good job for St George and we want that to transition into State of Origin footy. His kicking game is vastly improved and he will be required to kick ... and do some organising as well."

The long-standing combination between McCullough and Hunt is set to be crucial, Miles said.

"They have been playing footy together for 15 years and not only that, they are besties. So their understanding obviously came into calculations as well," Miles said.

"That is always beneficial on the footy field when you know what [the other] is thinking."

Hunt did not finish the clash with the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night due to a leg cork, but coach Walters said he was "very confident that he will be right".

"It is some sort of cork but we believe he will be fine and do a great job for Queensland," Walters said.

"I really enjoyed working with Ben at the Broncos and I could see the skill level and the desire in Ben to become a really good halfback.

"We have seen that progression this year at the Dragons and I expect that to continue at the next level for Queensland."

Broncos captain Darius Boyd missed selection after 28 Origin games for Queensland, with Valentine Holmes and 2017 player of the series Dane Gagai preferred on the wings.

Veteran front-rower Matt Scott also was overlooked after 22 appearances for Queensland, with Dylan Napa and Jarrod Wallace preferred as starting props.

"The worst part of my job is ringing those players [like Darius Boyd and Matt Scott] and letting them know they're not in the team," Walters said.

"Matt Scott for mine needs to play some more football yet. I said to him by no means is he out of the picture and he can play a role in this Origin series."

More than 55,000 tickets have been sold for the series opener, with a crowd in excess of 80,000 expected.

Ponga will join Maroons camp

Maroons team for game one: 1 Billy Slater, 2 Valentine Holmes, 3 Greg Inglis (c), 4 Will Chambers, 5 Dane Gagai, 6 Cameron Munster, 7 Ben Hunt, 8 Dylan Napa, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Jarrod Wallace, 11 Gavin Cooper, 12 Felise Kaufusi, 13 Josh McGuire. Interchange: 14 Michael Morgan, 15 Josh Papalii, 16 Coen Hess, 17 Jai Arrow

Witness Australia's greatest sporting rivalry when Origin comes to the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6. Tickets available at NRL.com/tickets.

Maroons Out For Blood!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/29/hunt-handed-keys-to-maroons-castle/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-180529703.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt ready to shoulder load in Origin series
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 31 May 2018, 06:01 AM

Queensland halfback Ben Hunt said he is excited, rather than burdened, by being given the keys to the Maroons team.

With state greats Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston no longer on the Origin stage, Hunt has some big shoes to fill.

He told this week's Big League magazine that he welcomed the challenge.

''A lot of people have asked me if I'm burdened by the weight of a state after Kevvie [Maroons coach Kevin Walters] came out and said that he wanted me to take control of the side. If anything, I'm excited about it,'' he said.

"That's my role as a halfback and I'm used to it at club level. I'm grateful that Kevvie believes in me to do that at Origin level, and I've got to repay that faith and lead the team around.

"You only have to look at guys like Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston and Allan Langer to realise how special it is to wear this jersey.

"Every Queenslander dreams of wearing the No.7 jersey for their state from the moment they kick the footy around for the first time."

The fact Hunt was playing for Ipswich in the Intrust Super Cup this time last year only adds to the pride the St George Illawarra halfback will feel will he runs onto the MCG on June 6.

"What makes this moment even more special is where I was a year ago," he said.

"I was dropped back to reserve grade to play for Ipswich, and since then, it's been a wild journey.

"I went back to Queensland Cup, got called up for game three, got an opportunity at the World Cup and now I'm wearing the seven this year at a new club.

"I've worked pretty hard over the past 12 months to get in this position."

The wily No.7 also dispelled any doubts over his fitness after he left the field with a cork during the Dragons' loss to Penrith last weekend.

"I'd play with one arm if it meant I could represent my state, and thankfully on Monday, I got the call from Kevin Walters," he said.

"I saw the phone ringing and Kevvie's name popped up and the heart started racing.

"It's hard to describe the feeling you get because it's something every rugby league player strives for."

Witness Australia's greatest sporting rivalry when Origin comes to the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6. Bronze tickets available from $49 HERE!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/31/hunt-ready-to-shoulder-load-in-origin-series/

nontime111

Juniors
love him or hate him, this is a cracker of a league doco on one of the greats of all time.... Yes Im a Queenslander but bleed red and white and have done since 1975....as a QLDER its pretty special to have a Dragons player back in the maroon again, we had Coyney and Barto those were the days, good luck Benny Hunt! watch this in your spare time for some inspiration we WILL need it this year, the only year I have had any fear at all of a Blues team thanks to the massive Dragons presence

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons recruit Ben Hunt's chance to dominate State of Origin era
Dragons Den News
r0_139_3136_2021_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Half chance: Ben Hunt at Queensland training this week. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt
They’re remembered for the big moments. Especially in Origin.

Ex-Wests Red Devils coach Brett Kimmorley – the man who forced the greatest halfback of all-time, Andrew Johns, to hooker for NSW – played 307 games for seven ARL, Super League and NRL clubs.

But his legacy is the infamous cut-out pass intercepted by Matt Bowen to seal Queensland victory in game one of 2005.

He was dropped and Johns returned to lead the Blues to a series win before the Maroon gloom set in.

Steelers and Dragons great Shaun Timmins played 12 seasons at the top, but his 2004 State of Origin golden-point field goal alone ensures he still gets a ticket on the public speaking circuit.

Johnathan Thurston helped create the greatest ever Origin dynasty, but even then, his biggest moment will be the field goal to secure North Queensland’s first ever NRL premiership in 2015.

Which brings this column to Dragons recruit Ben Hunt.

Thurston thought his earlier sideline conversion was going over, only to watch it hit the post and away, which instead sent the grand final into extra-time.

Hunt then dropped the ball from the extra-time kick-off, handing up Thurston’s one-pointer and the trophy.

r0_155_3030_1865_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Golden boot: Johnathan Thurston celebrates in 2015. Picture: Johnathan Carroll

After being moved to hooker at Brisbane last year, Hunt has found another level to help the Dragons to the top of the ladder, ensuring he would lead the post-Thurston Queensland era at halfback. For all the discussion of Queensland now being underdogs without Cameron Smith and Thurston, they now have a perfect motivator in Billy Slater’s farewell.

If they can win game one in Melbourne, they have the safety net of a decider in Brisbane at the very least.

The are many other game-breakers in this Origin series, but Hunt’s role will be crucial.

New NSW coach Brad Fittler has found the need for speed in the Blues line-up, with James Roberts, Latrell Mitchell, James Addo-Carr and Tom Trbojevic among the fastest players in the game. The pack is mobile and Helensburgh-bred Damien Cook’s pace around dummy-half could open the Maroons up.

How the ruck is policed and how Hunt steers Queensland around and controls the tempo could prove vital to winning the series.

Probably unfairly, the knock on Hunt before arriving in Wollongong was his ability to handle the big moments.

If he owns the Origin stage this year, it could not only ensure yet more heartache for long-suffering NSW fans, but spur him to more success with the Dragons in September.

STATE OF ORIGIN

Game one

Wednesday (8pm-ish)

NSW v QUEENSLAND

MCG

TV: Live on Nine Illawarra

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5442147/can-hunt-dominate-on-origin-stage/?cs=3713

Johnny King

Juniors
If Ben Hunt plays well for Queensland this year you'd have to think he has the inside running for the halfback position in the Australian side as the selectors would surely prefer him to a 20 year old (Cleary). I can't recall the last time the Dragons had the Australian halfback. Was Billy Smith the last one or am I missing someone?

getsmarty

Immortal
If Ben Hunt plays well for Queensland this year you'd have to think he has the inside running for the halfback position in the Australian side as the selectors would surely prefer him to a 20 year old (Cleary). I can't recall the last time the Dragons had the Australian halfback. Was Billy Smith the last one or am I missing someone?

Ben Hornby..1 game at halback..it was a shocker from memory.

Johnny King

Juniors
Thanks getsmarty. I thought Hornby may have got the job once but I wasn't sure. I do remember him getting a start in SOO one year. To me he was always a better fullback than a half, even though he was part of the Dragons premiership winning team in 2010.

nontime111

Juniors
it was Ben Kusto wasnt it?

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt says leaving Red Hill to wear the Red V has given him the confidence to lead Maroons
AAP
June 1, 2018 5:07pm
HALFBACK Ben Hunt never wanted to leave Brisbane - but he is sure glad he did.

New Queensland No.7 Hunt says he has the confidence to step up and make the Maroons “his team” in next week’s State of Origin opener thanks to a lucrative move to NRL club St George Illawarra this year.

The long serving Bronco’s decision to sign with the Dragons appeared a no brainer after they offered Hunt a five year, $6 million deal. But Hunt said he was reluctant to sever his eight year Broncos stint despite admitting it had at times tested his self belief.

2b13cd3b1ca1125af8c863c22a5fe446

e7449acf9e51bc98075e56128e3bf6ed

Ben Hunt gives update on injury
“I never really wanted to leave the Broncos when it comes down to it,” Hunt said.

“But I was excited about it as well, a new challenge.

“I had been here a long time and it was a change I thought could spark my game and take me to another level and I feel like it has done that.”

Hunt will make his debut in the Maroons No.7 jersey in Wednesday night’s Origin I at the MCG after staking a claim as the NRL’s form halfback thanks to a dream start with his new club.

f1a3fafed43e8989cf79838f302f42f6

Ben Hunt has found another gear since moving to St George Illawarra. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
It is in contrast to Hunt’s rollercoaster Broncos ride since his 2009 debut. His fortunes were best summed up last year when he was relegated to Queensland Cup reserve grade in June, only to make his Origin debut off the bench a month later.

Asked if there were times his Broncos stint tested his self belief, Hunt said: “There definitely has been.

“There have been some up and down stages in my career.

“I played Queensland Cup last year so there have been some down stages there but you have to get back to trying to enjoy your footy.

“And when people start believing in you, you start to get confidence.”

76c33e0cfed56313b8e4c0ffeef44892

Being demoted to Ipswich while still with the Broncos shook Hunt’s confidence. Pic Tim Marsden
Queensland begin life without halfback Cooper Cronk and fellow retired Maroons greats Johnathan Thurston and Cameron Smith on Wednesday night. Hunt said he felt ready to answer coach Kevin Walters’ challenge and make the Maroons “his team”.

“I do, it (take control) is the role of the halfback these days,” he said. “It’s been something I have been developing in my game for a few years now.

“I am grateful Kevvie believes in me and has given me an opportunity to do it - I will work hard this week to get it done.”

Hunt was confident of overcoming a thigh injury and combining with Cameron Munster in the halves in Melbourne.

Hunt appeared restricted wearing a thigh guard while on light duties at Queensland’s Gold Coast training session on Thursday, taking part in the final 10 minutes.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/ben-...k=38e26ce16deb998801bd3fbcda659030-1527899934

Gareth67

First Grade
I can see Ben having an excellent series , more so in his leadership role which will not only boost the young mans confidence tremendously , but shall also be of huge benefit to the Dragons come finals time . Just hoping that his Dr. Jekyll and Hyde roommate can behave in a more mature manner on this occasion , then he did on the Kangaroo tour .

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-180531705.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Hunt declares himself a certain Origin starter
Author
Joel Gould & Katie Brown
Timestamp
Fri 1 Jun 2018, 02:03 PM

Ben Hunt has declared he will be fit and ready to play for the Queensland Maroons on Wednesday night after training strongly in a field session on Friday.

The 28-year-old Maroons half has been battling a corked thigh and was moving gingerly on Thursday while wearing a guard on his leg.

He came out for Friday's session and moved with fluency and on completing the session confirmed he was right to go for the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series in Melbourne on June 6.

"I had a really good session today. I got through the whole session. I felt pretty good," Hunt said.

"I am definitely playing. That was the main test today and I got through it comfortably, so I will only get better from here.

"Kevvie [Walters] asked me how it went and I said I had no issues so we are all good."

Hunt said the injury was getting better the more he trained, in a positive sign for the coming days.

Maroons medicos have been working around the clock to get Hunt right to make what will be his starting debut for Queensland.

"I was running freely actually. The warmer I got the better I got so it will only get better from here," Hunt said.

"Yesterday was a big thing, just moving helped me free up the area. I iced it up last night and it felt a lot better today.

"I've been having a couple of massages a day, the physios have been getting stuck into my leg and it's come up well.

"I can't wait now, I'm looking forward to doing the best I can next week."

The Maroons have the day off on Saturday and will train again on Sunday.

Coach Kevin Walters told NRL.com he would make the final call then but shared Hunt's optimism.

"He's heading in the right direction," Walters said.

"We'll make a final decision on Sunday. He looks to be in good shape."

Anthony Milford had been training with the Maroons but Queensland forward said Hunt was vital to the Maroons. He said Hunt had proven he could come into the side and make a difference.

"I don't think we had a Plan B so I think Hunt's playing," Cooper grinned.

"A few of the boys came into camp to help us out and obviously Milf has played Origin before so he knows what it is all about.

"Hunty only got a couple of games in game three last year but he's not coming in to be Cooper Cronk. Everyone talks about big shoes to fill and it is the same with Macca.

"Macca is coming in to give his best impression of himself. He's not coming in to be Cameron Smith. I don't think anyone is ever going to be another Cameron Smith and no-one is going to be another Cooper Cronk, so both those boys are in there on their own merit and they will do fine."

Maroons prop Jarrod Wallace agreed it would take more than a cork to stop Hunt.

"Ben Hunt will play," he said.

"He ran around with us today. I can tell you now he would have a broken leg and still go out and play. It's just a cork, he had a full session today and went fine."

Witness Australia's greatest sporting rivalry when Origin comes to the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6. Bronze tickets available from $49 here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/02/hunt-declares-himself-a-certain-origin-starter/