What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hynes Insight

Special K

Coach
Storm utility Nicho Hynes has revealed he was keen to stay at the Storm and telling coach Craig Bellamy he had signed with the Sharks was the hardest moment of his young career.
Hynes, 24, agreed to join the Sharks earlier this month on a three-year deal after looking for a club where he could start more regularly.

Hynes has filled the shoes of Ryan Papenhuyzen in the no.1 jersey after the star fullback suffered a nasty head knock in Magic Round but has mostly been a bench utility.
The skilful back is expected to join the Sharks in the starting five-eighth spot, but revealed in an ideal world he would have stayed in the purple jersey of Melbourne.

“I would have loved to stay at this club, this club’s given me everything,” Hynes said.
“If I could’ve stayed here and started, without taking anything away from me signing with the Sharks, I would’ve loved to stay here and be here forever. Because this is the club that gave me the opportunity to be an NRL player and live my dream.”
Hynes signed a three-year deal with the Sharks earlier this month.

Hynes signed a three-year deal with the Sharks earlier this month. CREDIT:GETTY
Hynes said the signing came as the result of a conversation with incoming coach Craig Fitzgibbon, whose vision for the club was similar to Bellamy’s.
The youngster will be coming in for a rebuild, with trio Shaun Johnson, Josh Dugan and Aaron Woods all told their services will no longer be needed at the Shire for 2022.

“To the media, (the Sharks deal) seemed to happen very quickly, but Fitzy was in contact with me for a couple of weeks there,” he said.
“He was the one who made me decide to go to Cronulla because of his vision for the club and the way he wants to turn things around and the way he wants to play footy.

Hynes was also being pursued by the Raiders and Warriors.
Hynes said it was tough to meet with the Storm bosses to let them know of his decision to join Cronulla.
“It got a little bit emotional, as it would, but they knew that they probably couldn’t keep me because I wanted to be a starting player. I was dreading it, but I’m glad I did it with them because I really wanted them to know before the media found out,” he said.

“They did want to keep me and I had a lot of conversations with Craig and Frank (Ponissi) about them wanting to keep me.
“But we were all honest with each other from the start and they were happy with me going and speaking to other clubs and seeing what the best opportunity was.
“I looked at Craig as a really big role model to me. He’s been unreal for me and my footy. It’s easily one of the toughest things I’ve had to do.”

chewsta

First Grade
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere,

Hynes co-hosted on The Matty Johns Podcast today and he was asked about signing with the Sharks.

I will paraphrase but basically, he said that the sharks weren't an option he had considered until he spoke with Fitz, those conversations left him wanting to come to the sharks and be part of what Fitzgibbon is building.

It's only a brief comment but it all sounded pretty positive - worth listening to - he also compared Fitzy and Bellamy as defensive-minded coaches.

It only goes from about the 3rd till the 6th minute so you don't have to listen to too much of Matty's jibbering.

Hynes co-hosted on The Matty Johns Podcast today and he was asked about signing with the Sharks.

I will paraphrase but basically, he said that the sharks weren't an option he had considered until he spoke with Fitz, those conversations left him wanting to come to the sharks and be part of what Fitzgibbon is building.

It's only a brief comment but it all sounded pretty positive - worth listening to - he also compared Fitzy and Bellamy as defensive-minded coaches.

It only goes from about the 3rd till the 6th minute so you don't have to listen to too much of Matty's jibbering.
Thanks, and I'm glad I don't have to listen to the whole thing. Matthew Johns started the whole rut in Cronulla, along with Chris Anderson, that really is only just fully disappearing . Those laughing eyes can't hide the fact that he's just a true f**king merkin.

snout

First Grade

Thanks mate - but l still subscribe to quicksilvers theory that jonny morris wouldve taken us to the world club challenge.

Wasnt aware that was his theory, feel free to show me where it was . You are just jumping on the BBB and Carch Bandwagon of putting an argument into someones mouth that is not what they said in order to promote your own exhaulted point of view without resorting to actual facts. I thought you were above that.

snout

First Grade
Wasnt aware that was his theory, feel free to show me where it was . You are just jumping on the BBB and Carch Bandwagon of putting an argument into someones mouth that is not what they said in order to promote your own exhaulted point of view without resorting to actual facts. I thought you were above that.
Are you putting words in my mouth?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
At the end Johns calls his dickhead son over and tells him to be more like Nicho.
Polite.
Respectful.
Appreciative.
He speaks with genuine humility. Respects his teammates and even raps a bloke whos been playing for 10 minutes in harry grant.
Bellamy gives him the biggest rap in saying hes never seen a bloke impress as much in preseason
Yes- wanted my mob to sign him but Hook wouldn't go there-don't know where you Sharkies will play him but he'll be a class act wherever it is

Quigs

Immortal
That would have to be the weakest, most pissant Mod warning ever issued in this joint.

Harden the furhuck up Bluey. Put fear into the heathens heart. Banish him off to the Red V.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Oh that's so sweet of you BF. I bet Freddy feels better knowing you got his back :heartbeat:

bluefox68

Staff member
Ha ha - Nah - I was attempting to have a dig at the guy who slammed me for being nasty to Chad.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We could play him in the grandstand and we'd still beat the Dragons.

I came in peace to your website to congratulate your club on a signing that my mob didn't make(and imo should have made)- you chose to have a shot.

Just more proof that you Shire supporters are an insular, inbred lot with little brother chips on both shoulders to balance you up. Let me remind you of the future Big Bloke.

Your mosquito infested mangrove swamp development in the middle of nowhere means zilch to NRL powerbrokers. Where you are playing at the moment (at Nestrata) is your future once the NRL work out the order of boutique stadiums to be built. But the real problem for you is that the Dragons have you surrounded. When the inevitable future rationalisation of clubs occurs, you will be swallowed up by the Dragons and the Sharks will be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I came in peace to your website to congratulate your club on a signing that my mob didn't make(and imo should have made)- you chose to have a shot.

Just more proof that you Shire supporters are an insular, inbred lot with little brother chips on both shoulders to balance you up. Let me remind you of the future Big Bloke.

Your mosquito infested mangrove swamp development in the middle of nowhere means zilch to NRL powerbrokers. Where you are playing at the moment (at Nestrata) is your future once the NRL work out the order of boutique stadiums to be built. But the real problem for you is that the Dragons have you surrounded. When the inevitable future rationalisation of clubs occurs, you will be swallowed up by the Dragons and the Sharks will be consigned to the dustbin of history.
3 out of 10 for originality
5 out of 10 for accuracy
10 out of 10 for a waste of energy

Frenzy.

Immortal

Didn't that happen to the former St George Dragons? Swallowed up by Wollongong to become the St Stains ILLAWARRA Dragons, right?

HAHAHAHA

Merged scum