What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hynes Insight

Chimp

Bench
6 - Hynes
7 - Pearce (or Trindall if not)

I think Pearce would be exactly the sort of player we need. He’d really stiffen up the defence out wide, and is the old head we desperately need.

R-15-3

Bench
Hynes kicked all night for them in general play. He needs some practice but they weren't terrible.

What is the preferred halves partnering for next year?
Hynes with:
Trindall
Metcalf
Moylan

I see some good things happening with both Trindall and Metcalf. If something was to happen to Kennedy *touch wood, I'd have no hesitation in throwing Hynes to FB and these two as a combo.
I understand the Moylan signing, it gives the spine a senior player, and some grounding for a year, but I do not think he should be a starter.
Trindall seems to be finding his place in 1sts as a HB, and his kicking game is coming along.
Metcalf has something else though. His energy for the game is infectious. I get the feeling he will be an excitement machine.
I'm torn between the two of them. It's gunna be an interesting time in pre season.
I’m in the minority but with a full off-season I’d be starting with Hynes & Metcalf together.

Tracey is our 14, with HIA and injuries you need someone that can slot straight in. Has that no fear hard running if we need to put him on in the middle for a quick boost of go forward and fast play the ball.

Moylan to me can play Center or for the Jets.

Trindal is the tricky one, he shows a lot of promise definitely deserves a shot but to me Metcalf just has that X factor you need in your team to win a comp and would rather we try Metcalf and fail for 6 weeks with that chance of unlocking a superstar than the opposite of waiting for trindal to fail to give Metcalf a shot.
Trindal is first choice back up if we have any problems in the spine.

Eion

First Grade
I’m in the minority but with a full off-season I’d be starting with Hynes & Metcalf together.

Tracey is our 14, with HIA and injuries you need someone that can slot straight in. Has that no fear hard running if we need to put him on in the middle for a quick boost of go forward and fast play the ball.

Trindal is the tricky one, he shows a lot of promise definitely deserves a shot but to me Metcalf just has that X factor you need in your team to win a comp and would rather we try Metcalf and fail for 6 weeks with that chance of unlocking a superstar than the opposite of waiting for trindal to fail to give Metcalf a shot.
Yeah a lot will depend on who impresses in person-season.

Weaponhead

Coach
I expect the halves to be
6. Hynes
7. Trindall

Trindall has grown immensely during the past 6 weeks. Hopefully, he really kicks on with some quality around him. Hynes is just class. He is going to be so fun to watch.

Kennedy is a lock for 1. I could see McInnes starting at 9 for 20 mins then bring Brailey on with McInnes to 13.

Moylan is cover for injury if Hynes or Kennedy get injured. Metcalf looks really exciting and needs a role to develop into. If Fitz plays Brailey or McInnes as an 80 minute hooker then he is a logical 14.

The exciting thing for the club is the fact that so many the possible spine players are home grown. That makes a massive difference to squad development.

Next year is a bit of make or break for brailey i reckon. See how he goes under decent coaching, minutes being managed and much more importantly no aaron fkn woods on the field.

That is pretty much how I am feeling as well.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
6 - Hynes
7 - Pearce (or Trindall if not)

I think Pearce would be exactly the sort of player we need. He’d really stiffen up the defence out wide, and is the old head we desperately need.
Sorry but hell no…. We have the halves well and truly covered. Finnucane and McInnes will provide the wise heads that we need and Wade will be back as well.

Chimp

Bench
Sorry but hell no…. We have the halves well and truly covered. Finnucane and McInnes will provide the wise heads that we need and Wade will be back as well.
Wade will be back for 5 mins until he gets his head in the wrong spot again. I love him, and love what he’s done for us in the past, but I feel he’s burning a spot next year, it’s inevitable he gets sparked again, then the media will be all over him, and we’ll be a marquee player short again for the year.
Finucane will be the forward leader, McInnes will also show the way in terms of grafting his nuts off, Hynes will have all the flair in the world, but we’ll be missing an old fashioned game manager. Pearce would be exactly that

DJDL

Bench
It’ll be Trindall and Hynes.

The thing no one here has mentioned is which side they all prefer.

Hynes is the only certainty and he looks more comfortable on the left.
Trindall looks heaps better since he’s switched to the right. He played his best games last year on the right as well for that matter.

So that’s the natural fit.

Moylan is a left side player.

Metcalf has played left each time he’s been out there. No idea if he can play right as well at this stage, but for mine it’s he and Moylan fighting it out for the bench spot.

And if one of the young centres coming through starts to kick on, its Tracey left right out.

Weaponhead

Coach
It’ll be Trindall and Hynes.

The thing no one here has mentioned is which side they all prefer.

Hynes is the only certainty and he looks more comfortable on the left.
Trindall looks heaps better since he’s switched to the right. He played his best games last year on the right as well for that matter.

So that’s the natural fit.

Moylan is a left side player.

Metcalf has played left each time he’s been out there. No idea if he can play right as well at this stage, but for mine it’s he and Moylan fighting it out for the bench spot.

And if one of the young centres coming through starts to kick on, its Tracey left right out.
Seeing Trindall and Moylan link together and get on the same side for shift plays has been good to see and gives the attack much more flow. When Johnson was playing with Trindall, he parked himself on the right and called the ball every play severely limiting the attack and Trindall's game.

Expect Hynes and Trindall to link and seek to play up tempo. We should have the forwards who can lift the tempo as well making the Sharks a greater attacking threat.

Tracey at left centre is still a concern for me. His main attribute is good carries out of our end. Its important but centres need more than that. His one on one defence has been iffy at best. Not sure he demands a position in a best 17 but is a very good back up.

carinashark

First Grade
We need Tracy for the bench. He can play halves, hooker, wing, Fb . I think he is wasted at center.
Wilton and Ramien should be our centres. To have a player like Tracy on the bench frees up the bench for bigger scary players.

Maccas4177

Juniors
I saw on FB that he sent a personal Fathers Day msg to a Sharks fan - introduced himself a current Melbourne Storm player, future Sharkie. Also said he looked forward to seeing them at the games etc.
Obviously the fan requested the msg but for him to do it and say what he did just shows what a quality human he is.

ghoti

Bench
I hope Hynes works out.. I have no idea what my problem is (must be the long hair, or I'm poisoned by all the ex-Storm players who stink it up after leaving), but I have real reservations about him being the level of player he's been hyped up to be. Hope he kicks on and proves me wrong (I honestly thought he was a shithouse error machine last year and first half of this year), but just stating my concerns here for someone's eventual screenshotted quote for when he wins us a premiership in 2023 ig uess

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Hynes kicked all night for them in general play. He needs some practice but they weren't terrible.

What is the preferred halves partnering for next year?
Hynes with:
Trindall
Metcalf
Moylan

I see some good things happening with both Trindall and Metcalf. If something was to happen to Kennedy *touch wood, I'd have no hesitation in throwing Hynes to FB and these two as a combo.
I understand the Moylan signing, it gives the spine a senior player, and some grounding for a year, but I do not think he should be a starter.
Trindall seems to be finding his place in 1sts as a HB, and his kicking game is coming along.
Metcalf has something else though. His energy for the game is infectious. I get the feeling he will be an excitement machine.
I'm torn between the two of them. It's gunna be an interesting time in pre season.
Reckon you’ll find the Tricky/Nicho combination will be first choice. The versatility of Nicho gives us top rate cover for WK as does McInnes for Brails. I understand the excitement around Metcalfe and he would be my back up choice for the halves….even over Moylan. I’d have him at 14 in the meantime. I still don’t have a permanent position for Tracey but injuries and suspensions will no doubt see him get a stack of game time. Moyza is the odd one out in my opinion. I feel the game has just about passed him by and with his body failing him I’m glad he’s only here for one more year on reduced coin.

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I hope Hynes works out.. I have no idea what my problem is (must be the long hair, or I'm poisoned by all the ex-Storm players who stink it up after leaving), but I have real reservations about him being the level of player he's been hyped up to be. Hope he kicks on and proves me wrong (I honestly thought he was a shithouse error machine last year and first half of this year), but just stating my concerns here for someone's eventual screenshotted quote for when he wins us a premiership in 2023 ig uess
f**k ya….I’ll quote you now Ghoti. I reckon Nicho will turn out to be one of the most frugal Sharks signings ever. He’s a gifted eyes up footballer with great hands. Can’t wait to see him and WK play in the same team together. Throw in the fact he’s a Central Coast boy and a skeg and the Shire lifestyle will suit him to the ground. We need to get a dentist sponsor to sort out his and Cam McInnes’s Barry Beath and he’s a marketing dream as well. Can’t wait for ‘22 and the return to our spiritual home too.

Craigshark

First Grade
f**k ya….I’ll quote you now Ghoti. I reckon Nicho will turn out to be one of the most frugal Sharks signings ever. He’s a gifted eyes up footballer with great hands. Can’t wait to see him and WK play in the same team together. Throw in the fact he’s a Central Coast boy and a skeg and the Shire lifestyle will suit him to the ground. We need to get a dentist sponsor to sort out his and Cam McInnes’s Barry Beath and he’s a marketing dream as well. Can’t wait for ‘22 and the return to our spiritual home too.

an old coach might be able to help with the teeth

Latest posts