What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i feel a win coming

O

ozbash

3rd test starts tomorrow. way to hell away at perth at a ground called the wacci.
capt flemming and the lads are in with a real show here. apparently this waccy ground will suit our world class pace men and help our outstanding batsmen score some quick runs.
i predict.
nz by 4 wickets

O

ozbash

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top></td></tr> <tr> <td width=450 height=10>&lt;SPACER TYPE="block" WIDTH="450" HEIGHT="10">&lt;/SPACER></td></tr> <tr> <td width=450 bgcolor=#000000 height=1>&lt;SPACER TYPE="block" WIDTH="450" HEIGHT="1">&lt;/SPACER></td></tr> <tr> <td width=450 height=10>&lt;SPACER TYPE="block" WIDTH="450" HEIGHT="10">&lt;/SPACER></td></tr> <tr> <td> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 align=right border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
cairns_chris_cel_200.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>New Zealand is ready to make some cricket history by winning the decisive third test - and the series - against Australia. Lou Vincent, who will make his debut in the critical test, said there was a "good buzz" in a Kiwi team which felt it deserved to come to Perth with the series level. After almost winning a thriller in Brisbane, the Kiwis were saved by the rain in Hobart. The promotion of Vincent to the top of the New Zealand order in place of Matthew Bell typifies New Zealand's nothing-to-lose attitude. Bell has looked ill at ease in making 15 runs in three innings and Vincent, an exciting one-day player with a reputation as a sharp fielder, can't do any worse than his predecessor. The other change to the New Zealand line-up was the belated use of fast bowler Chris Martin, who comes in for the injured Daryl Tuffey. Vincent said the New Zealanders would love to be the first team to win a series in Australia since the West Indies triumphed in 1992-93. And it's been just as long since New Zealand won a test against its arch-rival. And you have to go back 16 years to find New Zealand's one and only series win in Australia which was sealed at the WACA. "This is our opportunity to be something big in history," Vincent said. "We probably should have won the first one - we were gutted after that first Test. "But we've come here at 0-0 and we've got an opportunity to win the series and all the guys feel that way." Vincent has played most of his cricket as a middle order batsman but has no qualms about opening the batting against the likes of Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie and Brett Lee. "It's a huge task but we all want to get challenged with the hardest thing possible because if you succeed with the hardest thing possible you feel like you're half-decent." Vincent, 23, once lived in South Australia and recalled playing against Gillespie in Adelaide when he was 16. "He was pretty fiery then and I don't remember scoring too many runs off him but I was about four foot nine and could hardly hold the bat." Martin, who has 28 wickets in seven tests, admitted he'd been frustrated at sitting on the sidelines for so long on this tour and was itching to have a go at Australia's left-handed openers Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer. The pair have put on two double-century stands in the first two tests to practically eliminate New Zealand from the game - and that's something Martin wants to change. "I like to bowl to lefties because I tend to jag the ball away from them - that's my natural action," Martin said. "And the lefties seem to be getting a lot of hundreds over here at the moment...so I'd like to make a difference to the way we're bowling at the top order. "I bowled to Hayden in the Queensland game and it was a good challenge but I eventually got him. And I've watched a bit of Langer and he's been a bit lucky to be honest." </td></tr></tbody></table>

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol.more like you feel a 'wind' coming... the one that's finally gunna blow you kiwis away.

You have to admire their optimism though...
Unable to bowl Australia out and saved by the rain in 2 Tests is hardly whatI call something to write home about... but they are writing home about it...I love thewhat NZ are saying,'chance of a series win' - ha ha ha! Like I said, gotta admire them for having hopes and dreams.

No rain on the horizon.... therefore Australia by an innings.

(btw... what odds do I get on 'mr' Fleming winning the toss and sending Australia in... LOL)

O

ozbash

well,, seeing you mentioned it willow,,,,,,,,

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 width=145 align=right border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
fleming_head.jpg
</td></tr> <tr> <td>Stephen Fleming </td></tr></tbody></table>To put it bluntly neither captain gives a toss about the toss. Ahead of Friday's series-deciding cricket test between Australia and New Zealand, both captains were ambivalent about whether to bat or bowl. After winning the toss in both Brisbane and Hobart only to see Australia walk away with first day honours, New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming would like to have the bat or bowl dilemma fall to his opposite. "I'd like to lose it probably," Fleming said, referring to the fact the WACA wicket looks good for batting but also offers plenty for the pace bowlers. Steve Waugh said he would assess the situation on the morning of the game. "If it's really dry you have to think about batting first," Waugh said. "But if we think we can bowl them out on the first day we'll send them in." Either way, the captains agreed too much can be made of which way the coin falls. "It won't really matter what happens at the toss," Waugh said. "The toss is overstated anyway. It's quite irrelevant - the best team will always win no matter what happens at the toss." Fleming said it was more of case of making sure a team could back up whatever decision it made - something the Black Caps didn't do in Brisbane and Hobart. "The toss of the coin doesn't win a match," said Fleming, who has put Australia in twice. "At times too much is put into the toss - once you make your decision it's about backing up that decision. "Unfortunately for us in the past two tests we haven't backed it up with quality bowling."

O

ozbash

btw. if its midday in sydney,,what will the time be in perf

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its the usual talk from captains Ozbash. They never want to win the toss in Perth. Thats why I was asking for odds on mr Flemming to send Aust in.
emwink.gif

Yeah, as El Duque said, it's a long way west and will startearly3 hours earlier in Syd,2 hours earlier in Bris and an eon earlier in Auckland.

I guess it'll be prime time viewing on NZTV for a Friday morning.
emclock.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I go with whatever you say El.
I was going the wrong way... it'll be prime time viewing in Auckland for a Friday night then.... sorry...
Time is an illusion anyway.....

Garbage

Juniors
i can feel a win coming too, probably within 4 days weather permitting. there is no way the kiwis will stand up too the awesome pace barrage they will be facing. it is a pity the waca test wasn't scheduled against seth efrika, although i think i understand why it wasn't - both teams have good pace bowlers but only the one team has a decent spinner, so playing on spinning wickets (melb, syd, adel) should provide a slight advantage.

El Duque

Bench
I'm used to converting time(adding and subtracting hours)as I have to do it every time I look at a god damn TV guide or have an appointment or meeting in bloody Qld
emangry.gif

You should be used to that too willow?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So an 11am start in Perth =
1pm start in Bris
2pm start in Syd
4pm start (as El says) in the land of the long wind clod

Hope that helps to avoid any confusion, Ozbash....lol
emcrook.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
El Duque: I get very confused about the clock at this time of year. I havethree and oftenfour time zones to consider at work every day and to be honest, I've never gotten used to it. If we had Daylight Saving in Qld, it would make life easier.

O

ozbash

lou vincent will dazzle you lot.everyone is talking about the "lee" factor,the faster he goes the more erratic he becomes-expect lots of extras frome lee.
fatty (350) has got no show. he goes to the pack up there and danny-boy will show the tub of lard who is the worlds best spinner.
your batters are good but our bowlers are better when not playing in swamps.
this kiwi will be glued to the set in anticipation.
ps. on the nz news tonite,langer was mouthing off about scoring his next century,,,,
first ball justin,first ball.......

El Duque

Bench
Last Test Match Brett Lee played in Perth he took 7/113 (combined innings')

Not too bad if you ask me.

imported_bronco

Juniors
"lou vincent will dazzle you lot"

Come on ozbash Vincent is a solid cricketer but this is his debut and most of his cricketing experience comes in the shorter form of the game. Hes mentally tougher than Bell and that'll be his key advantage over Bell who always seemed to be walking on ice out there.

If anyones going to stun the Australians it'll be Chris Martin. Hes only played 7 tests and already has 28 wickets to his name. Hes got some real zip in him and is a genuine strike bowler and will work well in combination with Cairns.

I do like the comments coming out of the NZ camp. They know they've been lucky to be at nil all after 2 ordinary performances. They know they've been given a chance but every single player has to step up for 5 days against Australia and at the end of the day even their best may not be good enough, that they can live with.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Interesting theory....
I thought that footage was sent over to show the Kiwis what a century maker looks like... afterall, it's been a long time between drinks....

Garbage

Juniors
you're right about langer. the 1st 2 tests he was lucky, but the kiwis couldn't take the chances he gave and he made them pay - playing at their best the kiwis will always give at least 1 or 2 chances to the australian batsmen no matter how well their bowlers play whether it is waugh, martyn, hayden etc. they will definitely make them pay. there is almost no chance of bowling the entire australian team out for less than 450. yeah nz will try hard, but they are simply outclassed and will lose.