What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I saw Warne with match fixer: Indian businessman

The Colonel

Immortal
By Trevor Marshallsea
February 16, 2004

Shane Warne was seen during the 1999 World Cup in the company of an Indian gambler who remains the subject of investigations into match fixing, according to an explosive new report.

India's Outlook magazine has published the claim that Warne and West Indian batsman Brian Lara were seen emerging from a London pizza restaurant with Delhi-based punter Ratan Mehta.

The allegation is reportedly contained in a statement tendered to the International Cricket Council's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit by an unidentified Indian businessman, which details startling claims of match fixing involving Mehta at the 1999 tournament.

Last night, Warne's brother and manager, Jason, told the Herald that the champion cricketer was unavailable for comment, but he was confident his brother would not have been involved in any wrongdoing.

"I'm sure there wouldn't have been anything untoward going on," Jason Warne said. "If he was in the company of someone who was involved in match fixing, I'm sure Shane wouldn't have known that guy was involved in any of that. It would have been fairly innocent." The Indian businessman's statement makes no suggestion that Warne or Lara were in any way connected with match fixing, which is said to have involved Indian and Pakistani cricketers.

advertisement

advertisement

The link made between Warne and Mehta, however, will be the last thing the leg-spinner wants as he begins his comeback from a year-long drugs ban. It will also revive Warne's infamous past - accepting $5000 in 1994-95 from an Indian bookmaker known only as "John" to provide information about pitch and weather conditions. The then Australian Cricket Board fined Warne $8000 for accepting the money.

Outlook reported that in confidential correspondence with the Pakistan Cricket Board, the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption unit suggested Mehta fixed the result of a Super Six match at the tournament between Pakistan and India, which was won comfortably by India after they had scored only 227.

The unit's chief, Paul Condon, had referred to a statement given by a high-flying Delhi businessman to the unit when it visited India in September, 2002. The explosive three-page statement carries allegations that he witnessed Mehta making phone calls to cricketers to fix the India-Pakistan match.

"Two or three days after the India-Pakistan match," the statement says, "I bumped into Mehta again. This time he was coming out of the Pizza Pomodoro restaurant in Beauchamp Place, Knightsbridge. He was with Shane Warne, Brian Lara and another cricketer, whose name I cannot be sure of."

Jason Warne noted this alleged meeting came years after Warne rejected an approach from Pakistan cricketer Salim Malik. "When Shane was offered money [from Malik] he reported it to officials. I'm sure he was not going to have any thoughts about getting involved a few years after that."

Good to see him back in the headlines for the wrong reason. Cricket definitely needs this guy to uphold its image!

:roll:

wittyz chick

Coach
Knew it wouldnt take long for him 2 b back up in the headlines for the wrong reasons
he's had more bad headlines then he has good headlines

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think this was brought up before when Hansie Cronje got caught, if not it shouldve been brought up at that time.

cheese

Bench
just another freerider trying to cash in on warnes' media atraction abilites

...just look at the timing

ozbash

Referee
no smoke without fire.

i suspected this all along you know,, oh yes,, i knew SKW and waugh were up to no good when the tried their hands as weather presenters.. :lol: :lol:

your heros are cheats .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Funny how they could have released his storey and time over the last 5 years, yet they release it as soon as Warnie is available again.

His manager/brother has denied the allegations.

Meth

Staff member
Pretty predictable stuff really...I don't think there's anything to it

Does this guy have a name other than 'Indian businessman'?

ozbash

Referee
his surname is singh :lol:

""Pretty predictable stuff really"" of course it is,, shane warne is a cheat. period.

he wouldnt have an honest bone in his body,, he is a bloody get rich quick man who gets caught out.

ozbash

Referee
i am quite interested in what "the grouse one's " greatest fan has to say about this latest scandal.

over to you ED :clap:

PB

Bench
I doubt there is anything to this particular aligation, but you never know with S.K. Warne.

And honestly i wonder what used to happen in the Warne household when he and his brothers where kids.

2 Boys are out the back playing cricket, Shane belts a cover drive straight through his parents bedroom window. Dad comes running to the window to see whats happened! "Who did this" he yells. Shane standing with bat in hand looks at his brother, and his brother says.. "It wasn't Shane dad, it must have been another kid..."

His brother either thinks he is a saint, pays him a sh!t load, or he is as dodgy as Shane himself....

El Diablo

Post Whore
ozbash said:
i am quite interested in what "the grouse one's " greatest fan has to say about this latest scandal.

over to you ED :clap:

What scandal?

If Fleming had been there as well maybe I'd pay some attention to it.