What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I still think our best team is...........

coach

We are 2-1 and sitting 2nd on the table. Cannot ask for much more then that. But I see some problems with the team.

We were great against the Roosters, ordinary against the Eels and for a fair part of the Knights game we were ordinary again. If it was not for Wing I have no doubt we would have lost to Newcastle.

I don't believe we are putting the best team on the field. If I was picking the team this is what it would be

1 Wesser
2 Merritt
3 Best
4 Champion
5 Talanoa
6 Wing
7 Sandow
8 Asotasi
9 Luke
10 Greenfield orr Geddes
11 Fa'alogo
12 Stuart
13 Sutton

14 Greenfield or Geddes
15 B Lowe
16 J Lowe
17 ?

JetRider

Juniors
Coach I agree with your team though I think Eddy deserves a place in the 17. I am not sure how Geddes has been playing but if his form is good we could use his size. I would also find a spot for Greenfiels if his form warrants as he is able to provide variety in attack.

Having said all that I do have faith in JT as a coach and he is a better judge of form.

1 Wesser
2 Merritt
3 Best
4 Champion
5 Talanoa
6 Wing
7 Sandow
8 Asotasi
9 Luke
10 Greenfield orr Geddes
11 Fa'alogo
12 Stuart
13 Sutton

14 Greenfield or Geddes
15 B Lowe
16 J Lowe
17 ?

Luke Stuart has been the best Prop in our team so far this year. On his current form you would not move him. Pettybourne has been a revelation off the bench and should be on the bench at the very least. Wing's impact off the bench was the match winner for us on Sunday. I would leave him there.

I'm still not convinced about Geddes after all these years. When fully fit, I think that Greenfield will find his way into the team.

Dave Q

Coach
* subject to change:-

1. Wesser
2. Max
3. Best
4. Wing
5. Talanoa

6. Sutto
7. Sandow

8. Stuart (c)
9. Luke
10. Asotasi

11. Pettybourne
12. JLo/McPherson

13. Fa'alogo

Bench TBA but will include a utility.

Playing at lock will keep Dave busy and the Wungster into the backline will make defences feel decidedly ill before a ball is passed.

Pettybourne is explosive atm, he must start in the first string side.

My side was determined with attack capabilities in mind.

Last edited:

Paul Hewson

Juniors
This would be my team for the Warriors game.

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa
6. Sutton
7. Sandow
13. Fa'alogo
12. McPherson
11. Kidwell
10. Asotasi
9. Wing
8. Stuart

14. Luke
15. Pettybourne
16. J Lowe
17. Geddes/Crossman/Greenfield

The Warriors will be really fired up for this game. I think with the fact that Wing is an 80 minute player that Luke can come on after 20 minutes and play the remainder of the game. From there McPherson can come off for Luke and put Luke in at Hooker, Wing to the Lock/5-8th roll as well as Sutton and Fa'alogo to the backrow.

I would also leave Pettybourne on the bench to come on as an impact player. The only reason that I have decided to drop Ben Lowe is because of the opposition. We need another big man on the bench. It was always going to be between him and McPherson in which I believe McPherson is better suited.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Keep in mind that the team yesterday was missing Wesser and Merritt for various reasons and they would have been there otherwise.

Dave's suggestion of Wing to centre is interesting. Has he played much there before? I like the idea of him being able to get his hands on the ball when he sniffs an opportunity, rather than having to wait for it to be delivered to him ... but the defensive point is a very good one.

I'd be willing to make Stuart captain too, as long as it had more of a positive impact on Stuart and Asotasi than a negative one. I'd definitely be willing to make him co-captain (especially after the embarrassment on the weekend when the Bunnies didn't even know who their captain was hahaha).

I think my 17 would look like this ...

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa (his hands have improved out of sight this year, which I'm very glad for)

6. Wing
7. Sandow

8. Stuart
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Fa'alogo
12. Pettybourne
13. Sutton

14. McPherson
15. Kidwell
16. Jaiman Lowe (I'm really not a fan, but it's hard to drop him out of a winning team and he seems to be trying hard)
17. Greenfield/Crossman

Despite the numbers on their backs Sutton would be as much the 5/8 in the team as Wing. I'd just want to try to have as many of the Bunnies' attacking guns in play at once at crucial points of the game.

I think the Rabbitohs are a real confidence driven team. When their blood is up and there's a sniff of fear on the opposition, they really press the advantage. On the flip side, though, when decisions or the run of play is going against them they can go into their shells and play fairly negatively.

I'd have Sutton playing the 5/8 role for the last 15 minutes of the first half, with Wing at dummy half and Luke having a rest. Have Wing play the first 15 of the second half at hooker and then exchange him for Luke. Give Wing a 10 minute rest and then get him on at the same time as the other two and have the opposition wondering if the attack is coming left, right or centre (or all of the above from Sandow).

With Wesser in the side, the Bunnies potentially have one of the most enviable 1/6/7/9/13 attacking combinations in the game.

Better, in my opinion, than last year's premiers and not too far off a super-side like Melbourne (Slater/Inglis/Cronk/Smith/Johnston is only so-so in one slot ... I'll leave it to you to decide which one hahaha).

I think only having three of your four strike weapons on the field at the same time for most of the game is not as good as having all of them. Luke wants to be considered an 80-minute hooker and be used as such, but I hope he realises that it's quality not quantity and that he'll be more devastating when he's had a short rest in the middle of the match. He's a very competitive player and obviously hates watching a game from the sidelines ... but I hope JT can convince him that winning is more fun than playing 80 minutes.

Finally, in Asotasi and Stuart I think the Bunnies might have the front row pairing with the most endurance in the game. Cayless, Civoniceva, Price and maybe Kite are the only guys I think could match Roy and Luke's sustained impact over 60 to 80 minutes of a game.

My train of thought has been interupted and is now well and truly derailed ... sorry if the above is incoherent. :)

Ike E Bear

Juniors

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa
6. Sutton
7. Sandow
13. Fa'alogo
12. McPherson
11. Kidwell
10. Asotasi
9. Wing
8. Stuart

14. Luke
15. Pettybourne
16. J Lowe

The Warriors will be really fired up for this game. I think with the fact that Wing is an 80 minute player that Luke can come on after 20 minutes and play the remainder of the game. From there McPherson can come off for Luke and put Luke in at Hooker, Wing to the Lock/5-8th roll as well as Sutton and Fa'alogo to the backrow.

I would also leave Pettybourne on the bench to come on as an impact player. The only reason that I have decided to drop Ben Lowe is because of the opposition. We need another big man on the bench. It was always going to be between him and McPherson in which I believe McPherson is better suited.

Can I change my vote to this? Hahaha.

Simple and effective.

The only fear here is that Isaac Luke might feel slighted. He's still young and fiery, and seems susceptible to unnecessary angst.

As I said in my last - muddled - post, I hope Luke realises that winning is more fun than playing 80 minutes.

glory glory

Juniors
My team

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa
6. Wing
7. Sandow
13. Sutton
12. Fa'alogo
11. Pettybourne
10. Asotasi
9. Luke
8. Stuart

14. Kidwell
15. McPherson
16. B Lowe
17. Greenfield

Last edited:

big country

Juniors

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa
6. Sutton
7. Sandow
13. Fa'alogo
12. McPherson
11. Kidwell
10. Asotasi
9. Wing
8. Stuart

14. Luke
15. Pettybourne
16. J Lowe

exactly this team except start Luke because he will chuck a wobbly if doesn't and it may affect his attitude/performance and use wing/luke exactly the same way we did yesterday.......also, I'd put Simpson at 17.....wow, are we spoiled for choice or what this season - this team simply MUST have a good year

Paul Hewson

Juniors
exactly this team except start Luke because he will chuck a wobbly if doesn't and it may affect his attitude/performance and use wing/luke exactly the same way we did yesterday.......also, I'd put Simpson at 17.....wow, are we spoiled for choice or what this season - this team simply MUST have a good year

The only reason I would have Wing start is because he is a genuine 80 minute player. I think Luke would be quite happy with 60 minutes at this stage. The more time we have Wing, Luke, Sandow and Sutton on the field the better we will be. One thing I like about JT as coach is that he is not scared to make the tough decisions. I don't care if Luke is not happy with the decision. He has to learn that he is part of a team.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Can I change my vote to this? Hahaha.

As I said in my last - muddled - post, I hope Luke realises that winning is more fun than playing 80 minutes.

That is exactly right. Being part of something. Being part of the team. I think eventually Luke will be a genuine 80 minute player, but he still has a way to go. I just think that it is a waste of an interchange having Wing on the bench.

Dave Q

Coach
Keep in mind that the team yesterday was missing Wesser and Merritt for various reasons and they would have been there otherwise.

Dave's suggestion of Wing to centre is interesting. Has he played much there before? I like the idea of him being able to get his hands on the ball when he sniffs an opportunity, rather than having to wait for it to be delivered to him ... but the defensive point is a very good one.

I'd be willing to make Stuart captain too, as long as it had more of a positive impact on Stuart and Asotasi than a negative one. I'd definitely be willing to make him co-captain (especially after the embarrassment on the weekend when the Bunnies didn't even know who their captain was hahaha).

I think my 17 would look like this ...

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Best
4. Champion
5. Talanoa (his hands have improved out of sight this year, which I'm very glad for)

6. Wing
7. Sandow

8. Stuart
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Fa'alogo
12. Pettybourne
13. Sutton

14. McPherson
15. Kidwell
16. Jaiman Lowe (I'm really not a fan, but it's hard to drop him out of a winning team and he seems to be trying hard)
17. Greenfield/Crossman

Despite the numbers on their backs Sutton would be as much the 5/8 in the team as Wing. I'd just want to try to have as many of the Bunnies' attacking guns in play at once at crucial points of the game.

I think the Rabbitohs are a real confidence driven team. When their blood is up and there's a sniff of fear on the opposition, they really press the advantage. On the flip side, though, when decisions or the run of play is going against them they can go into their shells and play fairly negatively.

I'd have Sutton playing the 5/8 role for the last 15 minutes of the first half, with Wing at dummy half and Luke having a rest. Have Wing play the first 15 of the second half at hooker and then exchange him for Luke. Give Wing a 10 minute rest and then get him on at the same time as the other two and have the opposition wondering if the attack is coming left, right or centre (or all of the above from Sandow).

With Wesser in the side, the Bunnies potentially have one of the most enviable 1/6/7/9/13 attacking combinations in the game.

Better, in my opinion, than last year's premiers and not too far off a super-side like Melbourne (Slater/Inglis/Cronk/Smith/Johnston is only so-so in one slot ... I'll leave it to you to decide which one hahaha).

I think only having three of your four strike weapons on the field at the same time for most of the game is not as good as having all of them. Luke wants to be considered an 80-minute hooker and be used as such, but I hope he realises that it's quality not quantity and that he'll be more devastating when he's had a short rest in the middle of the match. He's a very competitive player and obviously hates watching a game from the sidelines ... but I hope JT can convince him that winning is more fun than playing 80 minutes.

Finally, in Asotasi and Stuart I think the Bunnies might have the front row pairing with the most endurance in the game. Cayless, Civoniceva, Price and maybe Kite are the only guys I think could match Roy and Luke's sustained impact over 60 to 80 minutes of a game.

My train of thought has been interupted and is now well and truly derailed ... sorry if the above is incoherent. :)

Wingy can play almost anywhere.

When a forward is running to the line attracting defence ( the blocking player) you want the recipient of the offload to be another ready threat and the player he gets the ball away to..to also have some skills.

And Wing is an accomplished go-to man. He presents us with plenty of options.

Whatever disease we caught in the eels game continued into the last game then we made a bit of a recovery.

I thought it was JT up his safety-first tricks, but then the knights run out of puff and we responded. The dissapointing thing was the last try against us. That hurt.

The Warriors have a tremendous pack and they will be hungry for revenge for last year. They will be difficult to beat if we stick to safety-first.

I think there should be some scope for some rapid ball movement earlier on. But I could almost bet my car that we wont get that, we will play the arm wrestle and see what happens a la knights. There is a lot of pride at stake too.

My bet is Taylor will eventually surrender to Luke 80 mins. He's earned the right and should be given a go. He is one of the best d-h runners in the game and generally speaking, his defence is quite good.

Stuart should be signed for another year or two.

Nickmm

Juniors
We are 2-1 and sitting 2nd on the table. Cannot ask for much more then that. But I see some problems with the team.

We were great against the Roosters, ordinary against the Eels and for a fair part of the Knights game we were ordinary again. If it was not for Wing I have no doubt we would have lost to Newcastle.

I don't believe we are putting the best team on the field. If I was picking the team this is what it would be

1 Wesser
2 Merritt
3 Best
4 Corrigan (I reckon he deserves another game or 2)
5 Talanoa
6 Wing
7 Sandow
8 Asotasi
9 Luke
10 Stuart
11 Fa'alogo
12 B.Lowe ( not sure on this one either)
13 Sutton

14 Greenfield
15 Geddes??????Cleal??????or someone just dont know who.
16 Kidwell
17 Tyrrell

Jamie Simpson seems to light up the place when he comes on, i think he is well liked and the players want him in the side, he is dynamic in attack just needs to improve his defense a little. Champion give 100% every game but i think Simpson is a lot smarter footballer.

Dave Q

Coach
If Eddie keeps playing the way he has been, he will be close to being a better player than Aso by the end of the season.

Sensational games, hes big, strong, fast and bullet- proof. Needs a few jinky skills and thirst for second phase that Roy has.

Very good mental come-back v knights, brilliant mid-second half, that will do a lot for the boys upstairs (where it counts).

Wd rabbitoh recruitment for spotting Eddies wonderful talents.

Eddie may be the black Glenn Lazarus!

And hes still just a kid.

Amazing player.

Criswell

Juniors
If Eddie keeps playing the way he has been, he will be close to being a better player than Aso by the end of the season.

Sensational games, hes big, strong, fast and bullet- proof. Needs a few jinky skills and thirst for second phase that Roy has.

Wd rabbitoh recruitment for spotting Eddies wonderful talents.

Eddie is a (Mascot) Junior and played all through the NSW and Aust junior reps. My blind granny could have seen him coming through..:)

Dave Q

Coach
Eddie is a (Mascot) Junior and played all through the NSW and Aust junior reps. My blind granny could have seen him coming through..:)

Yes, but this year he has shown us that he is just about the most promising player in the entire competition, the sky is the limit.

I will concede that such a rapid rate of progression was wholly unexpected by me.

But this sort of thing is precisely what we need and makes me very pleased.

Without capable forwards, our talented backs are at a real disadvantage.

With regards to the Newcastle game, we found results when we speeded up the play from the ruck and moved up rapidly in defence.

None of this waiting for the attack to be upon you before doing anything.

That just allows attacks to move the ball around and set their formations without pressure.

Move up and kill until you cant move anymore and have to be replaced. Thats my defence policy. But its a policy which requires massive levels of fitness and mental toughness. Not everyone can manage that atm but we are seeing glimpses of it.

Last edited: