What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want out: Henry.

Timbo

Staff member
I want out, says Henry

Adrian Proszenko | March 30, 2008

EXCLUSIVE

Canberra coach Neil Henry wants a release to take up a five-year deal to return to North Queensland.
Henry is set to stun Raiders officials by asking for a release from the final year of his contract, knocking back a deal to extend his stay in the nation's capital.
Asked about the development, Cowboys CEO Peter Parr remained tight-lipped. "I haven't commented on the coaching position for a while and I don't have any intention to now, mate," Parr told The Sun-Herald yesterday.
"I'm not going to confirm, deny or comment on the coaching position."
It's expected Henry will ask Canberra chief executive Don Furner for a release today, if he hadn't already done so after last night's match against St George Illawarra.
Should the Raiders stand firm and deny Henry's request, it's understood the Cowboys will elevate deputy Ian Millward into the top job to replace the departing Graham Murray at the end of the season.
The Cowboys are keen to have the matter resolved by the end of the week and Henry is expected to officially sign up in coming days.
It's understood Henry received an offer to extend his contract at the Raiders. However, he has told close friends and family he is disappointed with the deal, which is well below what the Cowboys are offering.
There is even a possibility Henry could join the Cowboys this season should he immediately part company with the Raiders.
Murray is under pressure to see out the year after a disastrous 0-3 start, including Friday night's meek surrender to Brisbane. Should that scenario unfold, Raiders assistant coach David Furner is expected to step into the breach at Canberra.
A move north will be a homecoming for Henry, who was the Cowboys' assistant coach from 2002-06.
After discussions with his family, he is keen to relocate to North Queensland, where he will reunite with star playmakers Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.
The move means that Brisbane have missed out on one of their possible replacements for Wayne Bennett. Broncos boss Bruno Cullen interviewed Henry last week, but must now shift his focus to other candidates. Bennett, who was an early favourite for the Townsville post, remains the wildcard in the ongoing coaching merry-go-round.
Henry has achieved reasonable results with a modest Raiders roster and is regarded one of the better tacticians in the game. Queensland Origin players have lauded the 47-year-old's nous and game plans as a key ingredient in the past two series wins, in which he assisted head coach Mal Meninga.
In another turn in the coaching carousel, the Bulldogs will have to put a pen through one of their candidates to succeed Steve Folkes after Catalans coach Mick Potter signed a three-year deal to take over at St Helens during the week.
It won't be the last twist and turn. Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy is still Brisbane's first choice, but it remains to be seen if the Storm will release him from the final year of his contract.
The Bulldogs and Dragons are likely to cut adrift Folkes and Nathan Brown respectively, while Matthew Elliott is also under pressure to lift the Panthers off the bottom of the ladder.

----------------------

Fan-effing-tastic.

If he signs elsewhere, show him the door ASAP. Why would any player be willing to put their body on the line for a coach who's mind is elsewhere.

I really thought we'd solved our problems at the helm after finally ridding ourselves of Elliot...

Mick_63

Juniors
You have to laugh.Why would Henry want to go back there.The management of the cowboys didnt think enough of him back then to assure him that they were going to move Murray on at the end of the 07 season and the job would be his.So he moves the family and all that involves.Its obvious they werent far sighted enough back then (2002-2006) to appreciate Henry and theyre hoping that he forgets that and wants to go back to the sweaty armpit which is Townsville.
He has little or no expectation down in Canberre,theyre expected to get the spoon every year.He will be able to experiment and learn his craft without the pressure.
But if he needs an example just look at Matt Elliot.

parra pete

Referee
My information is that he has asked for a release, as stated in the SH...
It begs the question 'What is the purpose of signing a contract ????'

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Crock of sh*t IMO.

Even if it was true and not just "understood" that Henry is unhappy with the Raiders offer then who's to say it's Canberra's final offer?
Anyone understand the word "negotiation"?

Timbo

Staff member
I hope I'm proven wrong, but this does NOT seem like BS to me. This wasn't some Rebecca Wilson puff piece, it's a full page spread in the Herald, not the Terrorgraph, and it's not usually that far off the mark (Parra Pete is usually right too so I'm further disenchanted).

Would anybody seriously be suprised if it was true? Our management couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a fistful of fifties so I won't be remotely suprised if our management is trying to pay unders and it's blown up in their face.

julian87

Juniors
He is a dog if he has asked for a release.

What is the point of contracts?

I am also sick of merkins saying they are committed to their contract and then up and leaving the club.

julian87

Juniors
Timbo said:
I hope I'm proven wrong, but this does NOT seem like BS to me. This wasn't some Rebecca Wilson puff piece, it's a full page spread in the Herald, not the Terrorgraph, and it's not usually that far off the mark (Parra Pete is usually right too so I'm further disenchanted).

Would anybody seriously be suprised if it was true? Our management couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a fistful of fifties so I won't be remotely suprised if our management is trying to pay unders and it's blown up in their face.[/quot

It isn't about what they're offering though, it is talking about this/next season where he is already under contract.

donkey|rope

Juniors
it's not a cooked up article - but it's open ended. if management come back at him with a decent offer, he may yet stay. but i couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I think his gone, good coach but if he doesnt want to be here...then time to get someone else..

I wouldnt drop him now...lol..thats just stupid..

Timbo

Staff member
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
I think his gone, good coach but if he doesnt want to be here...then time to get someone else..

I wouldnt drop him now...lol..thats just stupid..

Phil Gould just summed it up beautifully on The Sunday Roast.

If a coach signs elsewhere now, where is the incentive for the players to go hard? When things start to go bad, you give the players a way out, suddenly they're playing badly because of the coach, and he doesn't want to be there, etc etc.

I think if he's gone, let him go, install a caretaker until the end of the season, then try and get someone like Graham Murray or John Lang to takeover.

shear_joy9

Coach
what a tosser. When the season starts getting tough, he wants to jump ship.

I think he's looking at the mounting injury toll to key players, and simply can't deal with it.

Bay56

First Grade
I'd like to hear it from Henry himself but the old saying where there is smoke comes to mind ... this has been in the media for some time so it's not all a surprise.

Quite frankly I'm not a big fan of Henry yet ... still has to prove himself and it is well documented that he was not too popular with the players.

If he has been offered a 5 year contract at the Cowboys and we cant even match the dollars I think it is a no-brainer for NH.

If Raiders management want to get their man/player they must be willing to pay what is required to do so .... their only real success in recent times has been Carney and from all reports he didnt really want to go ... as I said before management at least didnt f**k up the unf**kable.

Lime_Green

Juniors
He was deliberately vague on Grandstand. Said he wasn't after an immediate release (as in this year) but sounded very possible that he'd be at the Cowboys in '09.

Apparently there may be some resolution by the end of next week.

dolphinboy

Juniors
Until something official is released its all bollocks with no substance.

I will not be fussed if he goes and whilst he is an improvement on Elliott (not hard) he is yet to show me that he is anything special.

Macko8

Juniors
i think he'll see out the year with the raiders whether he signs elsewhere for 2009 or not.

just wondering whether todd carney is locked in until 2010 or does he have a get out clause???
im not sure whether dave furner is the key to the head coach....what the heck,see what happens.

Latest posts