What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to know whats going on

handyman2190

Bench
What the F is going on!!!!
Its time Richo and Madge came clean on the fiasko that is our team.
We dont buy players ...why?
If we dont have cap why? You cant say our team are world beaters.
Why are we holding onto players past it eg tyrell,there is no other team that would have him in first grade why isnt musgrove in his place. Sutton is past it tap him on the shoulder corey parker was playing good footy and he was tapped. We are the leagues nursing home stewart grant etc etc avau out carter out where is their money gone?
Rusty where are you? Why are you not doing anything about this mismanagement. Why was mark hughes who recuited decent players booted?
There are answers we deserve to know...i need and want to know...im bleeding and i dont like it...how the hell are other teams affording high quality and we buy u20s maybes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liberate Souths

Juniors
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/06/03/ask_the_bosses_part_.html

Mate not sure if you've seen this. It's a couple of months old now.
Might answer some questions.

Were all frustrated but I think some of the young talent we are recruiting will bear fruit over time. Just not this year. Maybe not even next.

We get rid of the best recruiter in the nrl and wait 4 or 5 years before reach competition grade. Not good enough. Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland don't have to wait this long. It's too long and the good will is shot to pieces.

southsport

First Grade

Curns13

Juniors
That's how I see it also mace, add to that the twins and Reyno are currently worth about half of what they are being paid.
This is the big problem. Reyno is getting paid like a top 5 half but in reality is probably 10-15. Tom has been pretty good but between his suspensions and poor form, George has been the team's biggest disappointment.

handyman2190

Bench
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2017/06/03/ask_the_bosses_part_.html

Mate not sure if you've seen this. It's a couple of months old now.
Might answer some questions.

Were all frustrated but I think some of the young talent we are recruiting will bear fruit over time. Just not this year. Maybe not even next.

Mate ive seen it all heard it all yes its great to buy young talent i dont mind burns jennings etc but its the over the hill older 1s that come and dont perform and the long term ones who just are stale and are not moved on then we let Dwalker and others performing at other clubs go the recruitment is crap and the excuses have worn thin why dont other teams fall ? st least newcastle and tigers have reasons why, we dont and iam sick of it no1 wants to come by the looks of it and there is no quality left to buy even when the cap is approved....its a big joke snd Richos excuses are BS

Itsamansgame

Juniors
We get rid of the best recruiter in the nrl and wait 4 or 5 years before reach competition grade. Not good enough. Brisbane, Melbourne and North Queensland don't have to wait this long. It's too long and the good will is shot to pieces.
Why are we holding onto players past it eg tyrell,there is no other team that would have him in first grade why isnt musgrove in his place. Sutton is past it tap him on the shoulder corey parker was playing good footy and he was tapped. We are the leagues nursing home stewart grant etc etc avau out carter out where is their money gone?
Rusty where are you? Why are you not doing anything about this mismanagement. Why was mark hughes who recuited decent players booted?
There are answers we deserve to know...i need and want to know...im bleeding and i dont like it...how the hell are other teams affording high quality and we buy u20s maybes.
Handyman
If you look on the vs Raiders match thread page 11 you will see my comments.
I can guarantee you we are not the minority with this opinion!

Pommy

Coach
This is the big problem. Reyno is getting paid like a top 5 half but in reality is probably 10-15. Tom has been pretty good but between his suspensions and poor form, George has been the team's biggest disappointment.

Even though tom has been pretty good he just isn't worth what he is being paid.
George needs to make sure he is as shit for the next few games as he has been all season I don't want a little burst of form to cement him a white jersey come October and him to revert to form.

greg jay

Juniors
And how about Sam B and G. Inglis when he plays??? Do you really believe that those two are worth their Salary Cap number?? The Cap is clogged largely because of Burgess Brother + Inglis + Reynolds i.e The Gang of Five. Sam B earns close to $1m POUNDS p.a. The team is almost at the bottom so don't tell me that "Oh without Sam B we would be spooners". Balderdash!!! WITH Sam B and the other 4 The Crisps are almost last and in many games they are leaderless and not up to the pace. Leaving The Gang of Five with more Maguire is a recipe for utter disaster.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah it's ridiculous.

We are playing the worst out of anyone currently.

No spirit or passion or anything.

Tom and George are on about 500-600k each I believe.

I'm hurting too mate.

It's a shambles.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The answer to this thread is pretty simple. Souths should've had a rebuild after 2015. We failed to do so because Maguire decided that targeting the top 8 every year was going to work with the roster we have. The reason our recruitment has been so poor the last few years is because our salary cap is full. We have overpaid players but we can't do anything about it as long as they have contracts.

A lot of people on here dislike Clark and turner as players but the fact of the matter is that we literally have no other option. Clark, turner and Tyrell are on peanuts. Im almost certain Tyrell works a 2nd job. Even though they're not the greatest NRL players they have played a fair amount of NRL and maguire's thoughts were obviously that they were safer than upgrading a junior.

The problem is our high paid players aren't delivering. AR, The twins, GI (season ending injury). These players are roughly worth 2.7 out of our salary cap. Then you have Surgess on 800k. That's 3.5 mil out of your salary cap spent on 5 players out of your 25 man squad.

Let's put this into perspective. With 3.5 million we could have replacements of these players as according to paychecks

2 props: Fifita, Debelin, Bromwich (all on around 500k on current deals)
Fullback: N/A but I'll put James Tedesco in there anyway
Half: Cooper Cronk
Lock: chuck a cheaper one in like Mannering or Gallen.

Can you imagine having players like this in the squad? This is what the equivalent pay is to our players. I should also add next season isn't looking better as we are paying Farah upwards of 350k plus...

Only player in our squad who is earning their pay check is Sam. Until our major players pull their heads out Souths are going nowhere. We either need our players to earn their paychecks or we're gonna have to wait till they're off contract.

All is not doom and gloom however, Souths have some really promising juniors coming through. Murray, Graham, Hunt, Doueihi.

We can't just recruit a bunch of players because Souths are waiting for the salary cap figure to be released. There are already 3 teams supposedly over the cap. Souths does not want to be one of them.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The answer to this thread is pretty simple. Souths should've had a rebuild after 2015. We failed to do so because Maguire decided that targeting the top 8 every year was going to work with the roster we have. The reason our recruitment has been so poor the last few years is because our salary cap is full. We have overpaid players but we can't do anything about it as long as they have contracts.

A lot of people on here dislike Clark and turner as players but the fact of the matter is that we literally have no other option. Clark, turner and Tyrell are on peanuts. Im almost certain Tyrell works a 2nd job. Even though they're not the greatest NRL players they have played a fair amount of NRL and maguire's thoughts were obviously that they were safer than upgrading a junior.

The problem is our high paid players aren't delivering. AR, The twins, GI (season ending injury). These players are roughly worth 2.7 out of our salary cap. Then you have Surgess on 800k. That's 3.5 mil out of your salary cap spent on 5 players out of your 25 man squad.

Let's put this into perspective. With 3.5 million we could have replacements of these players as according to paychecks

2 props: Fifita, Debelin, Bromwich (all on around 500k on current deals)
Fullback: N/A but I'll put James Tedesco in there anyway
Half: Cooper Cronk
Lock: chuck a cheaper one in like Mannering or Gallen.

Can you imagine having players like this in the squad? This is what the equivalent pay is to our players. I should also add next season isn't looking better as we are paying Farah upwards of 350k plus...

Only player in our squad who is earning their pay check is Sam. Until our major players pull their heads out Souths are going nowhere. We either need our players to earn their paychecks or we're gonna have to wait till they're off contract.

All is not doom and gloom however, Souths have some really promising juniors coming through. Murray, Graham, Hunt, Doueihi.

We can't just recruit a bunch of players because Souths are waiting for the salary cap figure to be released. There are already 3 teams supposedly over the cap. Souths does not want to be one of them.
With the fact Tyrrell is off contract though we have to let him go.

We probably have to hold onto Clark too.

On my League live app which I can't unfortunately post the link but it's available in App Store it gives stats for the Bears and Clark last week made 11 for 86m and 39 tackles.

We need to make players work for contracts though and I reckon Turner would be on about 250k. We gave Turner his contract too quickly imo.

Travitoh

First Grade
With the fact Tyrrell is off contract though we have to let him go.

We probably have to hold onto Clark too.

On my League live app which I can't unfortunately post the link but it's available in App Store it gives stats for the Bears and Clark last week made 11 for 86m and 39 tackles.

We need to make players work for contracts though and I reckon Turner would be on about 250k. We gave Turner his contract too quickly imo.

I'd be surprised if DT was still at the club next season, sadly. The game has passed him by.

Clark would be good to hold onto to assist Murray in the coming seasons, especially if Sam goes to prop (which is probably more in hope from myself)

Turner's contract is an interesting one, obviously he would've gotten a raise but i feel that the way he was signed up almost immediately would suggest to me that the club got him with a deal they wanted him on, otherwise negotiations would've gone deeper into the season.

DC_fan

Coach
Don't worry guys, all our problems have been solved. We have signed Dane Gagai, an outside back for next season, when what we really need is some quality forward signings.

As for those who wish to criticise the play of Turner, Clark and Tyrrell, you may want to ease of a little. Yes they are not outstanding players, but do give their best each and every week unlike a few of the big name players. It is not the fault of that trio that we are where we are.

Pommy

Coach
Don't worry guys, all our problems have been solved. We have signed Dane Gagai, an outside back for next season, when what we really need is some quality forward signings.

As for those who wish to criticise the play of Turner, Clark and Tyrrell, you may want to ease of a little. Yes they are not outstanding players, but do give their best each and every week unlike a few of the big name players. It is not the fault of that trio that we are where we are.

Why would you sign more forwards when we have probably spent too much on forwards as it is.
That's not a sensible way to handle the cap, quality forwards will come but not until the twins contracts have run their course.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well right now our pack is looking like

1. GI/Gagai/AJ
2. AJ/Gagai
3. Gagai/GI
4. Hunt
5. ??? Burns? We probably need a signing here.
6. Walker
7. Arey
8. Musgrove
9. Farah/cook. Please just choose 1.
10. Tom Burgess
11. Fuimaono
12. Crichton
13. Surgess

14. Sutton??
15. Clark
16. George Burgess
17. Murray

18. Turner

I have no idea what the layout would be of our back 5 with GI and Gagai all coming in.

I'm hoping that hunt can force his way into the top 25 next year. I also hope graham does as well. Both are excellent players. If we grab a winger it's definitely not a bad top 17. We just need to get our higher paid players to perform. Burgess twins are starting to find some form however I reckon they'll be picked for England pommy.

Even if we grab another prop and have Clark as an 18th man that could work. Or maybe Clark can share the lock role with Murray and Sam can move to prop.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd be surprised if DT was still at the club next season, sadly. The game has passed him by.

Clark would be good to hold onto to assist Murray in the coming seasons, especially if Sam goes to prop (which is probably more in hope from myself)

Turner's contract is an interesting one, obviously he would've gotten a raise but i feel that the way he was signed up almost immediately would suggest to me that the club got him with a deal they wanted him on, otherwise negotiations would've gone deeper into the season.
Yeah we need to stiffen up that prop position.

I'd be all for having Murray at lock.

Yep we have to hold onto Clark. You can't question his commitment.

At the game the other night I actually met Jason Clark. He's a top bloke!

He did very well the other night defensively and his running game will come along as he settles in.

I just continue to wait for Turner to lift but tbh with you he has disappointed me this season, mind you we've had quite a number that have disappointed.

Imo I'd have re-signed Goodwin for 2yrs and if he was too slow by 2019 you could've just played him at Norths the year. He wouldn't have cost anymore than 250k.

I just hope we get another back. Not sure who we could get though.

If Sutto plays on he can't be in the starting line up. Got to be off the bench.

Fui should be in the starting back row.

It'll be interesting as to what we do with the twins.

DC_fan

Coach
Why would you sign more forwards when we have probably spent too much on forwards as it is.
That's not a sensible way to handle the cap, quality forwards will come but not until the twins contracts have run their course.

The problem is we have spent too much money on the wrong forwards, as in the Burgess twins. Get rid of both of them, or at least redo their contracts. I would also rid ourselves of Farah.

Latest posts