What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If a player throws a ball deliberately into another player there will be a penalty

Tiger5150

Bench
When Toddy thinks some thing is positive....its "I". "I have done this", "I have told them", "I will".

When things are falling apart in the NRL because he cant run an organisation its...."The NRL", "The board has asked for a review",

He is a complete fraud and has built a house of cards career out of saying the right things, all talk no walk, style over substance. His career is built on sounding like the smartest person in a room full of dumb people. He always sounds to me like someone doing their second year of Business Management at TAFE.

Google his career pre Bulldogs. The BSB called him out on it when he got the NRL gig. Only time I've heard anyone do it. He of course went the smother and didnt answer.

mave

Coach
The guy is angling for a political career.
Nothing is surer.

*edit for spelling*

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah this is going to have players trying to get in the way now to milk a penalty that was even less deserved. I hope common sense prevails and referees penalise the player trying to milk it.

But you just know they won't. Players will milk the penalty. Refs will give it to them.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
meh, players will just make it look more legit... they'll still take those opportunities late in the tackle count, or when under pressure. On the other hand, defenses will lay in the ruck to disrupt and earn penalties...

Maybe the solution is to stop penalising it to the same extent, hookers will step over people and clear the ball if there's nothing to be gained?

Not sure, but seems the 'bosses' are creating problems with their tinkering, and players and coaches just want to win, so will work out how to leverage things as best they can. Goal-kicking becoming very important

Munted

Bench
Maybe the solution is to stop penalising it to the same extent, hookers will step over people and clear the ball if there's nothing to be gained?

Hopefully it's this.
Hookers should see it as an opportunity as there will either be 1 marker or 1 less bloke in the defensive line as a result.
Attack you lazy merkins!

Vozzy

Juniors
Yeah this time a player will move into the pass and earn his side a penalty maybe if it happens then it's play on but player on the ground can't dive on loose ball

rockcod

Juniors
Why will they be penalized? They're just replacing one annoying penalty with another, just don't penalize a player unless they deliberately disrupt the play, otherwise play on.

Smart players always look to extract a penalty when it is mandatory, that is the problem.

adamkungl

Immortal
Deliberate milking should never be a penalty.
For play to be interfered with the players have to make a legit attempt to execute that play.
Clearly not the case with these ridiculous dummy half milks. Play on.

Same with obstruction. If the defenders throw up their arms or flop on the ground with no attempt to make a tackle, play on.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Did the NRL ever change that rule which gives the attacking side the scrum feed when the ball makes contact with the ref and play is irregularly effected? I read an article which said josh Reynolds did this in a semi against Manly in 2014 when he put a kick in close to the line and it hit the ref. Started clapping his hands like he kicked a 40-20 and rushed at the ref when he awarded the scrum to manly, which was then overturned.

I thought they were to change this to the give the defending team the scrum to take out teams exploiting the rule.

It doesn’t happen very often at the minute but rest assured if they havent changed it, expect more of these tactics once the deliberate ploy of passing into players has been stopped.

I love it when the NRL make up rules on the run. They always turn out to be so wonderful.

How about, instead of penalising players for trying to milk penalties in the ruck, we just ask the referee to use their own discretion to enforce the law as it currently stands?

If someone is laying in the ruck and trying to slow the play the ball, penalise them. If they're making a reasonable effort and the dummy half attempts to milk a penalty anyway and throws the ball into the guy laying on the ground (or standing behind the play the ball as we saw on the weekend), then the result should just be a turnover.

Latest posts