What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Lockyer goes back to FB, will the Aussie no.1 jersey be a formality?

Tommy Smith

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/bennett-weighs-switch-to-reignite-lockyer-spark/2006/03/17/1142582530594.html

"Maroons selectors are already considering playing the Test skipper at fullback in this year's Origin series and any move at club level would make his return to the No.1 Queensland and Australia jerseys a formality."

Do people agree with that? Because i personally reckon Lockyer would have to earn the right to replace Mini who in his own right has become a great FB for the Roosters, NSW and Australia.

Think about it. Mini was Australia's player of the Tri-nations tour for 2004, Player of the Origin series last year and he then backed all that up by again being named Australia's best player on the Tri-nations tour for 2005.

Mini is in the prime of his career and is now himself being considered one of the best FB's of the last 20 years. Lockyer on the other hand has been struggling of late.

So i would like to think that past reputations are cast aside (something which didnt happen on the Tri-nations tour and probably cost Australia any chance)because as of now Mini has a firm and deserved hold on the Aussie no.1 jumper. So when (and i reckon it is when not if) Locky moves back to FB he will have to play extremely well over an extended period to replace Mini in the no.1 jersey for Australia.

Agree? Disagree?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mini is an awesome fullback, but Lockyer is probably the best fullback ive ever seen (im 18 so i didnt get to see Jack, much of badge or alike)
he'd be a cert IMO

I wouldnt agree that he should just be handed the jersey.

However....

I think Minichello could use a break from playing for Australia. Like Buerdus, Lockyer and basically any other player that has regularly played for Australia over the last few years, Minichello looks like he could use a bit of a break.

Maybe, this is a chance.

Yeah, its not ideal, but I think maybe for Mini's career and the Roosters, it would be for the best.

Big Pete

Referee
No I think Lockyer should prove himself. IMO he can't play Fullback anymore, he's lost too much pace and hasn't played there in 3 years.

I always thought Minichelle was a better winger though.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think Lockyer's been the same player for the last two or so years, and certainly I think Minichiello is a great player at the back and his position shouldn't be in any real danger.

Jono078

Referee
Minichiello is really great imo at fullback.. So if anything id like to see Lockyer earn his spot and out peform Minichiello each week.

KFC

Juniors
Mini has the form.

Mini has the coach.

Darren will not play fullback for Australia.

yobbo84

Coach
Mini deserves to hold on to his spot. However, when you compare both players at FB in the primes of their career, Mini doesn't come anywhere near Lockyer. Lockyer was absolutely brilliant at FB.. the last 3 years in an unfamiliar position have ruined him.

A bit like Craig Wing in the number 9...

Razor

Coach
No Mini is a better fullback than Lockyer. Lockyer shouldn't even be on the bench. As Australia's captain he should admit to that and withdraw from the upcoming test. The captain should have the teams best interest at heart, not his own.

Ghoulies

Bench
As Australia's captain he should admit to that and withdraw from the upcoming test. The captain should have the teams best interest at heart, not his own.
Geez you're a crackhead.

So even if he's selected, Lockyer should turn down honour of representing his country because his form isn't up to scratch? :lol:

If they pick him, he'll play; only a dimwit would reject the opportunity to captain his country.

Carlito

Juniors
If QLD win SoO with Lockyer at FB then yes, otherwise no. NFI how they would decide for the Anzac Test though. Probably keep Lockyer at 5/8

Lockyer has torn it up for Australia at 5/8th.

Im a big Lockyer fan, he's a brilliant player, there is no doubt about that.

But I think his problem right now is that he plays for Brisbane....and he has to drag them kicking and screaming through games with NO help at all.

Then at Origin level its a similar story. Its all up to Lockyer to get the job done.

Then for Australia, he has been the main man once again....and its just worn him down.

I look at Origin and I wonder how Queensland can not pick Thurston at 5/8th, and then leave Bowen, Wesser, Slater and the like out of the side to play Lockyer.

Tough decisions to be made.

cookie36

Juniors
I cant believe anyone is seriously talking about Lockyer playing at 5/8 for Australia. Are you saying that there isnt someone better for that position?? I dont think Lockyer would make the side on his current form, when that happens to the current Aust Capt he retires from rep football - wouldnt surprise me.

The Devil

Bench
nospam49&#8482 said:
But I think his problem right now is that he plays for Brisbane....and he has to drag them kicking and screaming through games with NO help at all.

I agree with you on this point, there is not another established playmaker in the Broncos squad. Mcguire and Seymour are simply aren't up to scratch for a playmaker role.

nospam49&#8482 said:
Then at Origin level its a similar story. Its all up to Lockyer to get the job done.

At Origin he has had capable playmakers playing at #7. Scott Prince in 2004, Thurston in 2005.

Also they've also had a few players who can create something out of nothing is Slater and Bowen. Matt Sing and Ty Williams are a few others. So Lockyer carrying the Maroons team is way off the mark

nospam49&#8482 said:
Then for Australia, he has been the main man once again....and its just worn him down.

Australia have always had a talented HB playing in the Australian team at all times. Johns, Gower, Prince and Barrett could slide into #7 as well. So he has not always been the main man for Australia.

One reason he may have been the main man when Johns pulled out of the tour due to injury, was because of the coach. But i agree with you on the point that Lockyer is worn out.

nospam49&#8482 said:
I look at Origin and I wonder how Queensland can not pick Thurston at 5/8th, and then leave Bowen, Wesser, Slater and the like out of the side to play Lockyer.

That is the biggest crockpot statement i've ever heard. Lockyer is basically assured a QLD spot at 5/8 regardless of form. Also on current form and circumstances, Bowen, Slater and Wesser all deserve to be ahead of Lockyer in the FB pecking order.

He hasn't played at the position for 2 seasons and the extra burden on being the main playmaker at the Broncos has just worn him out.

simostorm

Bench
Lockyer is fine at 5/8, its Wayne Bennetts fault, he should use his brain if he even has one, and have lockyer defend on the wing like what the tigers do with Benji.

JW

Coach
Razor said:
No Mini is a better fullback than Lockyer. Lockyer shouldn't even be on the bench. As Australia's captain he should admit to that and withdraw from the upcoming test. The captain should have the teams best interest at heart, not his own.

And the funny thing is that you're deadly serious :lol: