What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Wizardman

First Grade
Could be interesting, if a team couldn't respect him nothing would work for them.
He strikes me as someone who would be great with a playing group, sponsors as well as identifying talent. He would be able to attract talent as well. We could do worse.

stryker

First Grade
Only way forward is junior development and sacking Madge now is only going to ruin that. Let him see out his contract and blood more juniors. Refuse to pay overs for marquee players and just front load salaries until we are at the point towards the end of Madge's contract where we have the biggest war chest ever assembled + the COE is well up and away. If by that time Madge then can't attract marquee players to lead the blooded juniors into battle then it's time to move him on. The new coach then gets to walk into a Cleary/Panthers like situation with a blank cheque to build the roster he wants. I'm not saying we should sign Flanagan but he is the type of coach that can walk into a situation like that and buy a grand final team
How is sacking Madge going to ruin junior development?
The rest of your post is well intentioned sugary fantasy.

BrotherJim05

Bench
How is sacking Madge going to ruin junior development?
The rest of your post is well intentioned sugary fantasy.
Well how is a new coach coming in going to help junior development? It makes more sense to persist with Madge to keep some stability while we get the rest of our house in order. I agree that the exception is Bennett, but I don't think bringing Flanno in right now will really improve things

WA Tiger

Bench
For mine it’s Bennett, Flanno, Madge…in that order.
Newbies and ‘green‘ coaches will be eaten alive by this woeful group of lazy, incompetent and heartless merkins.
I’d put Morris at 3rd position..He had the hard conversation with Fafita with no obvious drama and huge wraps from Sean Johnston who’s been around a bit …and with some strong personalities in that team he got them to the finals with cap restraints.. He just couldn’t compete with bulldogs coach for Burton and others naturally but for a new coach he was impressive and could be a hidden gem.. ..I’d have no problem with Morris as coach I’d just much prefer Bennett (unlikely) and then Flanagan

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Well how is a new coach coming in going to help junior development? It makes more sense to persist with Madge to keep some stability while we get the rest of our house in order. I agree that the exception is Bennett, but I don't think bringing Flanno in right now will really improve things
Maybe they’ll take a fresh perspective, improving upon what is already established. I mean our current development programme’s are not setting the league alight. The best young players in the team have come from other clubs. Bennett and Flanno are both very good at building rosters. They target the right people. There is little evidence that this has been occurring here during the past 3 years.

Fordy20

Juniors
If you could get Bennett here you would, but there's no way in hell he'd coach us. He has no interest at all in coming across despite what people have said in the media.

The Rosco

Bench
I think we are looking too closely at the 'riff when we say " develop our juniors for success"
They have a shitload more juniors than us, and seem to have their shit in order.
I say we take a Roosters approach to this shitfight.
Go to the schoolboy carnivals and pinch everyone else's best juniors. Blend them in with our own home-grown talent, add a few seasoned NRL players . . . and voila ( from the French meaning ta-daa!) we have a respectable side.
We do have a lot of things wrong with us. It's funny how NRL 360 is having discussions over the past few nights, and EVERY single point they bring up has been flogged to death on this very forum.
The biggest problem we have is the lack of heart in our roster. You can build a COE and a GFY, too. You can have Bennet and Bellamy together as coaches. You can have a superstar home ground. You can have pretty new jumpers.
All that don't count for shit while our players aren't up to scratch, but worst of all, don't give a shit.

All that don't count for shit while our players aren't up to scratch, but worst of all, don't give a shit.

Why not be innovators, introduce a new payment scheme, what about payments based on Win, Losses & Draws, nah there's no more draws, win by 20+ get a win bonus, keep opposition to 10 points or less get a bonus - they might start to give a shit if there's dollars involved.

With tongue set firmly in cheek 😏

WA Tiger

Bench
I think yous underestimate what a snake Madge is and the negative effect he has on the team…couple that with lack of strategy in attack and defence and within a team that negative effect has a life of its own..its hard to arrest a downhill slide when the head is off coz of a lack of trust for the leader regardless of the want to win ..

2 players supported Madge ..Tamoes a yes man by the sounds. He leads by example when he can find it. And that’s the most Ive seen or heard him talk..Leilua, That much is a mystery but one things for sure BJ won’t be sending him a Christmas card…Whatever Madge did to help his family tho you can’t begrudge his support right there..Still 2’s not a lot…and neither of them said anything that I can remember, apart from the helping the family bit o yea and turning him into an 80 minute player.

Also ones an old man and the other had Mary as his last coach

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Team rebuilding is for old coaches not new ones. I'd be doing everything I could to get Madge the origin job with Qld and get someone new. A Sheens ,Ciraldo, Dean Pay combo could work. Pay does the coaching, Ciraldo does defence, Sheens does the attack. Sheen also does junior development and gets Wests to sink money into Campbelltown to make sure every Islander and houseo kid out that way is playing in one of our junior comps.

WA Tiger

Bench
That actually makes sense..And I don’t mind Pay as the head coach. Ciraldo may prefer to stay on defence only. We’d take what he’s got to offer there, although then why would he leave Penrith..Pay could prob handle the other 2

Last edited:
Why not be innovators, introduce a new payment scheme, what about payments based on Win, Losses & Draws, nah there's no more draws, win by 20+ get a win bonus, keep opposition to 10 points or less get a bonus - they might start to give a shit if there's dollars involved.

With tongue set firmly in cheek 😏
I know you're having a bit of a laugh OTT but I'd love to do something along these lines. Unfortunately the RLPA won't allow it. You must spend 90% of the cap allowance provided by the NRL ($9.6 million) on your top 30 roster. This is what is killing us.

The NRL trot out the line that every team has the same amount of money to spend, which is debatable to say the least, but why should we be forced to spend it on a top 30 that isn't worth a quarter of the amount we are given? By their own laws we are forced to overpay players. This breeds the laziness and lack of care we see at the Tigers. It'll only get worse once 1 or more teams are added.

I'd put them all on the NRL minimum which I believe is $110,000 and if you make the 8 a bonus kicks in. The bonus increases for each week you progress. If they end winning the comp they get a shit ton. I wouldn't give a shit if they went over the cap and NRL stripped them of it on paper. It'll always be in your memory. I'd only ever sign most of them to 1 year contracts making easy to piss off players not having a dig. 2 years for most and only ever 3 years if we could unearth the love child of Joey Johns and Turbo.

Maxxn99

Juniors
Bennett would be the dream. He wants to keep coaching, I think even just for 2 years he would do a great job, he’ll I’d even ask him for 1 while we find a longterm replacement for 2023. Wayne loves money, he’ll come for the right price.

I know we’re a bit of a mess but overall I think we’re a somewhat attractive club to coach. The COE Will attract players, todays athletes love something new and shiny, off the field we’re turning a profit, the Jersey Flegg side was undefeated so there’s talent coming through.

Ciraldo would be good however he’ll have Ivan in his ear warning him off us. Bit left feild but I’d look at Kristian Woolf, Tongas coach since 2014. The players love him and what he’s done with them is remarkable. He has now had St Helen’s for 2 years, won the comp last year, the Challenge Cup Final this year and currently has them second.
Woolf interests me… he’s had success with the Tongan team. With the amount of Polynesian now and growing could be worth a go.

Maxxn99

Juniors
Woolf interests me… he’s had success with the Tongan team. With the amount of Polynesian now and growing could be worth a go.
Cause I truly believe this is our biggest issue is the % of Polynesian in our team has been multiplying over the years. As much as Madge is or was nz coach, week to week these guys struggle. Someone has to get thru to them imo

WA Tiger

Bench
I read an article yesterday about Bennett announcing he didn’t want to coach Queensland next year ..He said “he had no plans next year” I like the sound of that…Not “I need a rest” ……I’m going to save a little bit of hope. God knows we deserve that kind of lift

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I read an article yesterday about Bennett announcing he didn’t want to coach Queensland next year ..He said “he had no plans next year” I like the sound of that…Not “I need a rest” ……I’m going to save a little bit of hope. God knows we deserve that kind of lift
i hold Hope for Bennett also. he's surely worth calling to at least ask the q?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
If Madge does get the arse I feel he has nobody to blame but himself for two key reasons

1. Recruitment of Senior players - I won't hear anyone say Madge had no say in the signings of BJ, Jet and Joffa. He brought those players to the club. They have all been shit. Playing Joffa on an edge has had a direct influence on the outcome of some games. He's not up to NRL. We need senior players /leaders more than anything.

2. Poor assistant coaches. Defence has been woeful all year. Players are too flat in attack week in, week out. Wayne Collins and Shane Millard might be good blokes but its clear they arent adding too much value in training.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Agree Mario, also I don't understand why Tamou was appointed captain before he had played a game for the club. Useless choice as captain, and that follows on from the equally useless selection of Mbop as captain.
Also I think Madge is too much of a red-faced shouter on game days, which the players obviously don't repond to.

Latest posts