What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
What?
Only argument? It’s THE argument. It’s been that way for years.
The rot starts at the top.
I'm sure we could all contribute some unbelievably dumb decisions from the top. Here are a couple of my favourites.
Chase Ado Carr but only if he leaves Melbourne a year early.
After it was obvious things won't working out for Madge and there were calls for him to go they extended his contract by two years.
We really needed a change at the end of last year but decided to keep doing the same old crop.
We sacked Todd Patten and kept Jason Taylor and backed him to sack Robbie Farah.
We have been doing the opposite of building a team for years.
Maybe other fans have some personal favourites.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm gonna have one last whinge about the club's decision to sack Madge, then move on from it.

Sacking Madge was a fkn stupid decision. Hastings, Papali'i and Api all signed with us to play under Madge, plus there are a number of reports that A. Chrichton was keen to join but only to play under Madge. This means that in 2023 we would see the best Wests Tigers roster assembled in years, all of which with their loyalty towards Madge and buying in to what he was trying to do. I'm not saying it was definitely going to work, but why the f**k wouldn't you at least just give him that last year to prove whether or not he knew what he was doing all along. If he failed, and we were still looking shithouse by this time next year, then we simply say "sorry mate but we are looking for a new coach for 2024 and won't be extending your contract". We don't lose any money as his contract was over anyway, plus it gives us more breathing room from the media because there are many ways we can spin it publicly.

BUT NOOOOOO, we had to fkn parade ourselves round like some highway prostitute, only to be rejected in full view of everyone passing by. Every day that goes by this year, the players lose more and more confidence in our club (yes, it's possible). We must be the only club in fkn history that hasn't had at least one stalwart senior player who will ride or die until the bitter end. How the f**k are we supposed to bring our juniors through when the senior playing group don't give a shit about our club? It's such a joke that I don't even bother watching games anymore.

I say this often, but I'm starting to think next year will be my final year supporting the Tigers, unless I can see some sort of legit improvement.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Little whisper about a very left field option. Roosters Flegg coach Anthony Barnes

I say sign him. Better option than what is being leaked from Tigers HQ.
I keep banging on about getting a coach that can attract quality players. If he could bring one or two of the players he has helped that would be awesome. Also he would have a good reputation among those players who would spread the word.
This is a gamble I would be prepared to take.
A possible game changer.
He might also fit the bill as it is not a matter of who we want but who would come. He might be willing to give it a go.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Imagine if he could jag 4 wins in his first year and get us to 2nd last in 2 years. That we be a success story that would delight the fans.
I’m afraid you may be too optimistic.
I'm gonna have one last whinge about the club's decision to sack Madge, then move on from it.

Sacking Madge was a fkn stupid decision. Hastings, Papali'i and Api all signed with us to play under Madge, plus there are a number of reports that A. Chrichton was keen to join but only to play under Madge. This means that in 2023 we would see the best Wests Tigers roster assembled in years, all of which with their loyalty towards Madge and buying in to what he was trying to do. I'm not saying it was definitely going to work, but why the f**k wouldn't you at least just give him that last year to prove whether or not he knew what he was doing all along. If he failed, and we were still looking shithouse by this time next year, then we simply say "sorry mate but we are looking for a new coach for 2024 and won't be extending your contract". We don't lose any money as his contract was over anyway, plus it gives us more breathing room from the media because there are many ways we can spin it publicly.

BUT NOOOOOO, we had to fkn parade ourselves round like some highway prostitute, only to be rejected in full view of everyone passing by. Every day that goes by this year, the players lose more and more confidence in our club (yes, it's possible). We must be the only club in fkn history that hasn't had at least one stalwart senior player who will ride or die until the bitter end. How the f**k are we supposed to bring our juniors through when the senior playing group don't give a shit about our club? It's such a joke that I don't even bother watching games anymore.

I say this often, but I'm starting to think next year will be my final year supporting the Tigers, unless I can see some sort of legit improvement.
I agree, they should have given Madge 6 months with his chosen roster next year because it took that long to clear out the dead wood. Sheens jumped in and hit reset prematurely imo. He put the cherry on top of this clusterf@!k sh$tcake that is the WT. I’ll always be a WT fan but I really feel for the players that love the club, they’re the ones that are being let down the most. The work rate from some of the players despite what’s going on around them really shows the quality of their character. I wish I had half the heart of some of these warriors.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I’m afraid you may be too optimistic.
Yeah, I got a bit overexcited there didn't I?
I agree, they should have given Madge 6 months with his chosen roster next year because it took that long to clear out the dead wood.
Maybe you are being a bit over optimistic here. Madge cleaned out the deadwood? Really?
The work rate from some of the players despite what’s going on around them really shows the quality of their character. I wish I had half the heart of some of these warriors.
I know I might be alone with this but I actually think the players are playing to their best ability. It's just that their best ability isn't that great. It's a bit like putting me in a race with Addo Carr and when he beats my by 70 meters saying I just didn't try hard enough. (that's assuming I could run 30 meters which I can't)

General Stripes

Juniors
Bullshit or at best you need to make a much more constructive argument. I made one above for you. You can't even pin point bad decisions they've made.

I'll do it for you. They appointed Sheens to manage the footy side of things and he is incompetent.

I think maybe it's worse than that though. I think that we have a structure that is a relic from the old Wests and Balmain days (more Wests now but it's beside the point) rather than a structure for a professional sports team today.

Successful professional sports teams tend to be owned by billionaires willing to put big dollars into a club.

It's not a matter of sacking Pascoe or the board. It's a matter of getting a supporter who is a billionaire and is prepared to buy a premiership.
🤣

Phil Gould

Juniors
Yeah, I got a bit overexcited there didn't I?
I was playing along and adding to your sarcasm.
Maybe you are being a bit over optimistic here. Madge cleaned out the deadwood? Really?
Well, the big cap money dead wood and the players not of his choosing at least. I didn’t mean in an absolute sense because I think there’s obviously still some ordinary performances out there. I mean more that he got the team of his choosing and all that big cap money tied up in players that didn’t even play hampered that. I’d say some of the dead wood performances at the moment may be due, in part, to Madge’s sacking.
I know I might be alone with this but I actually think the players are playing to their best ability. It's just that their best ability isn't that great. It's a bit like putting me in a race with Addo Carr and when he beats my by 70 meters saying I just didn't try hard enough. (that's assuming I could run 30 meters which I can't)
I don’t think your are alone here with some of the players but I don’t think a “one size fits all” assessment applies to the individual players themselves. The weakness in the team as a unit doesn’t allow the good players to shine, no matter how hard they try. But there are some really good players in the team. I don’t know anything about the internal politics of the team or the effect that has on them but performances from players like LL and Kelma wouldn’t cut it in a team like Melbourne, they wouldn’t be on the feild.

Tiger05

First Grade
Sacking Madge was a fkn stupid decision.

This was a Sheens decision and it was clearly articulated as being a Sheens decision.

Has anyone listed to this podcast. https://nospam.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0191/ (I can't post this for some reason - it's wests tigers podcast).

It's very pro Sheens and very pro the club.

Personally I find it really hard to justify Sheens role at the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

macnaz

Staff member
Sorry 05 , i tried to add it but there is LU software blocking it.
Anyway its Weststigers podcasts if anyone wants to google it

Tiger05

First Grade

Here is another one. This is pushing Sheens for the coaching role.

I think Sheens has stuffed us up big time but I'd still be okay with him as coach.

Tigerm

First Grade

Benji Marshall backs Tim Sheens to make SHOCK return to coaching​

It's coming? I'm still of the belief that Madge was pushed through player power?