What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if only...

B_Tiger

Juniors
I wish we had kept Villasanti. Everytime I watch him he has a blinder. Like brook has said many a time losing him was a huge mistake. The worst part was that he wanted to stay here and it was only because we offered him next to nothing that he left. We'd have no prop problems if he were here.

jirskyr

Juniors
Guess you can't win them all.

He wasn't that consistent when he was here and maybe only became better playing in NZ. I don't reckon you can predict that a guy might become good if his current form isn't super duper.

oro

Juniors
I remember sitting on the hill watching Villasanti making break after break and thinking it was only a matter of time before he made the top grade. Great player and a great shame that we lost him.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
In hindsight it seems a pity (like many things!) but at the time he was not in anything like the form he displays now. Was that when Junior was the coach?

brook

First Grade
Villa was 21 when we released him, had just been promoted to the first grade squad straight out of flegg and well on the way to showing the type of form he does now, any reasonable judge of footy could have seen exactly what he was going to become (for the record i don't think he's anywhere near reached his potential yet)

Go villa - the tryscoring freak!! :)

godsuglychild

Juniors
brook said:
Villa was 21 when we released him, had just been promoted to the first grade squad straight out of flegg and well on the way to showing the type of form he does now, any reasonable judge of footy could have seen exactly what he was going to become (for the record i don't think he's anywhere near reached his potential yet)

If we still had villasanti, would we have developed laffranchi as much as we did, prolly not and i beleive boof is better then villa

brook

First Grade
godsuglychild said:
brook said:

If we still had villasanti, would we have developed laffranchi as much as we did, prolly not and i beleive boof is better then villa

you are kidding?

even if we ignore the fact that i don't care where sheens is playing him laffranchi is a back rower they are ENTIRELY different sorts of players

villa is exactly what we have been missing all year - an old fashioned hard man who can create genuine fear in opposition players, the type of player who can be counted on to add a bit of agression to the game when its needed.

Boof is an (extremely talented) workhorse - he is the player i can see eventually taking over o'neills crown as the teams unsung hero, the player who puts in the hard yards all game.

All great teams have both types of players, the wests tigers have the workhorse types but we lack anyone genuinly intimidating - viane does (and lima will) provide some elements of that but neither have the physical presence of a player like villa and it is something we sorely need.

anyway its not laffranchi that has filled the spot that would have been still villa's it is patterson and NOONE can tell me that has been a good swap.

brook

First Grade
B_Tiger said:
I thought he was playing bloody well back then.

He was playing well enough to be included in the New Zealand train-on side which I think you will find was the only time the wests tigers have had any player considered for international selection (minor world cup teams do not count)

Mighty Tiger

Bench
godsuglychild said:

Um I think Boof is a harder worked but he isn't a better player than Villa and to be honest I don't think he ever will be!

simon says

First Grade
I thought Villa was going very well when he left.He hs got much better,and i think he will continue to do so.Bis stuff up that we let him go,we really lack a big yards and agro man like him.

I dont think you can compare Boof and him,totally different style of player,bith very good.

westie

Bench
brook said:
B_Tiger said:

He was playing well enough to be included in the New Zealand train-on side which I think you will find was the only time the wests tigers have had any player considered for international selection (minor world cup teams do not count)

Tyran Smith, Jason Lowrie, Jarrod McCracken were internationals. Plus Villa and that was virtually the enitre NZ forward pack. And we had Skando and Tex in our side. Not bad if you ask me.

Lochie

Juniors
westie said:
brook said:
B_Tiger said:

Tyran Smith, Jason Lowrie, Jarrod McCracken were internationals. Plus Villa and that was virtually the enitre NZ forward pack. And we had Skando and Tex in our side. Not bad if you ask me.
Beat me to it. Tyran and Lowrie were the ones I was going to come up with. :D

brook

First Grade
I didn't think either were selected when playing for us?
learn something new every day i guess

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Tyran did make the NZ train on squad while at the Tigers - but never made the team - while Lowrie was past his rep days when at the club!

As for the Villa V Boof debate - which is black and white to me - (a natural prop V a quality back rower is a foregone conclusion) - it is entirely a moot point as the real issue was Villa V Runciman!!!

Runchy was the man preferred by Baa at the time Villa was let go (despite the big fella wanting to stay in Balmain)!

And given what Trent offered - the value of Villa is even more black and white!!!

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Correct bald one!!!

That is from the horse's mouth as Villa himself was a neighbour of mine in Balmain and told me he was desperate for a new contract - but was unwanted!

Lochie

Juniors
Snide the Tiger said:
Tyran did make the NZ train on squad while at the Tigers - but never made the team - while Lowrie was past his rep days when at the club!

21st April 2000

AUSTRALIA 52 (B. Fittler 2, M. Rogers 2, W. Sailor, G. Tallis, C. McKenna, R. Girdler, S. Timmins tries; M. Rogers 8 goals) d. NEW ZEALAND 0 at Olympic Stadium, Sydney. Referee: B. Harrigan (Australia). Crowd: 26,023

Australia: Darren Lockyer, Mat Rogers, Ryan Girdler, Shaun Timmins, Wendell Sailor, Brad Fittler (c), Brett Kimmorley, Jason Smith, Gorden Tallis, Bryan Fletcher, Shane Webcke, Rodney Howe, Jason Hetherington. Interchange: Jason Stevens, Robbie Kearns, Scott Hill, Chris McKenna

New Zealand: Richard Barnett (c), Richie Blackmore, Stacey Jones, Stephen Kearney, Tasesa Lavea, Jason Lowrie Henry Paul, Robbie Paul, Matt Rua, Craig Smith, Tyran Smith, Richard Swain, Willie Talau, Joe Vagana, Nigel Vagana, Lesley Vainikolo, David Kidwell, Tony Puletua

per http://rl1908.com/Tests/NZ/2000.htm

:D

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
Good onya Lochie - it was 1999 when he only made the squad but did not play!

Unfortunately for big T-Bird - he never got another run after the game you have cited!!!

He has never made a squad since!

Lochie

Juniors
I couldn't help myself. I was sure that Lowrie and Smith played for the Kiwis when they were with us.

Its good to see that they havent fixed your . key yet either Snide :D

Latest posts