What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Like the NSW cup, if you dont have pokies or an NRL club backing you there is no way you can afford to run a competitive team in the Qlnd cup. Its a sorry state that we don't have viable second tier comps as they have become little more than NRL reserve grade pools.

It's not good for the game's long-term health to limit the state competitions to a few old clubs that are bankrolled by gaming machine revenue.

I've lived in Logan long enough to see the growth of fumbleball in its northern suburbs. The Lions have invested in the area and it's paid dividends at the grassroots level. The last thing the QRL can afford is to lose marketshare in Logan to fumbleball. No city has produced more representative players than Logan. I've seen kids in my neighbourhood running around in Brisbane Lions guernseys and kicking a Sherrin with their mates. That's the consequences of neglecting a city for 20 years while the main competitor has invested in it.

Pneuma

First Grade
It's not good for the game's long-term health to limit the state competitions to a few old clubs that are bankrolled by gaming machine revenue.

I've lived in Logan long enough to see the growth of fumbleball in its northern suburbs. The Lions have invested in the area and it's paid dividends at the grassroots level. The last thing the QRL can afford is to lose marketshare in Logan to fumbleball. No city has produced more representative players than Logan. I've seen kids in my neighbourhood running around in Brisbane Lions guernseys and kicking a Sherrin with their mates. That's the consequences of neglecting a city for 20 years while the main competitor has invested in it.

Potato

Pippen94

First Grade
I've spent the last few years doing up my car because it's more productive than trying to get the QRL to do anything good for the game. I gave up on the Queensland Cup in 2017 because there's nothing in it for me. It's hard to support any of the existing clubs when none of them represent Logan and have no intention of helping the game grow outside of their district.

South's logan

Stewbum

Juniors
Did Brothers-Valleys win a game?

I remember watching them on the ABC about 20 years ago. I think they only played one season of Queensland Cup before dropping down to Brisbane A Grade.

At one stage in the 90s the Diehards merged with the Caboolture Snakes. That was in 1995. At the close of the season the club went under.

It's a pity the Titans don't merge with Fortitude Valley to become the Gold Coast Diehards. In 87 and 88 the Diehards merged with Tweed Heads Seagulls to play as Seagulls-Diehards. In fact, the grand final of the 1988 Woolies Pre-Season Cup was contested by Logan City Scorpions and Seagulls-Diehards. That was as good as it got for the Scorpions that year. They finished the season with 2 wins and one draw.
I think they won a few. Their coach was an ex Logan player who gave me a couple of his old Scorpions jerseys. I thought they played A Grade the first year then joined the Q-Cup?

I was at the '95 Pre Season finals day at Davies Park that year. All 10 clubs played off in order of finishing. I think Caboolture Valleys was 10th and lost by 80. I used to work for an ex-Valleys half back and gave him shit all year about his club now having a yellow stripe on their jersey.

I recall the Seagulls-Diehards name. Everything Valleys touched in that era turned to shit.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think they won a few. Their coach was an ex Logan player who gave me a couple of his old Scorpions jerseys. I thought they played A Grade the first year then joined the Q-Cup?

I was at the '95 Pre Season finals day at Davies Park that year. All 10 clubs played off in order of finishing. I think Caboolture Valleys was 10th and lost by 80. I used to work for an ex-Valleys half back and gave him shit all year about his club now having a yellow stripe on their jersey.

I recall the Seagulls-Diehards name. Everything Valleys touched in that era turned to shit.

Somewhere in an alternate universe the Logan scorpions are playing the Perth reds at a sold out hbf stadium which has seating on all sides. Total participation in wa still below 40k tho..

Stewbum

Juniors
Deranged?

The QRL's job is to develop and govern the game in Queensland.

Logan has a population of 360k people and produced more Origin and Test players than any other city in Australia. To not have a Queensland Cup team in Logan for over 20 years is a dereliction of QRL's duties. In that time we've had AFL make serious inroads in Logan. They've built the Lions@Springwood Social Club, acquired Cronulla Park for the Springwood Pumas and use money from the former to fund the latter.

My plan was for the Scorpions to be based out of Cronulla Park. The QRL's laziness and refusal to listen to me led to the AFL taking the ground for itself. What would have been a great asset for the QRL is now in the hands of its biggest competitor!

By the time I contacted the QRL I had created the logo, jersey design and website for the club. The cost and labour that I put into it was substantial. I had to go into the state library to research the history of the Scorpions and the BRL in the 80s and 90s because the QRL is so useless and lazy it doesn't keep historical records of the competition on its website.

I suppose you're now going to say it's insane to expect the QRL to provide historical data for the BRL on its website?
I understand believe me.

I was a part of a group called The BRL Project in the mid nineties which approached the QRL / BRL to address the lack of media profile, promotion, and historical record-keeping of the 2nd oldest competition in Australia.

The sum total of the QRL's response was to invite a member to a BRL weekly meeting to complain about how cash poor they were. Founding member Greg Mallory released a book on the history of the BRL some years later.

Seagulls-Diehards won the 1988 Pre-Season Cup and BRL Premiership. They defeated Logan and Ipswich in both grand finals.

Does Ken Coles still coach in Toowoomba?

I understand believe me.

I was a part of a group called The BRL Project in the mid nineties which approached the QRL / BRL to address the lack of media profile, promotion, and historical record-keeping of the 2nd oldest competition in Australia.

The sum total of the QRL's response was to invite a member to a BRL weekly meeting to complain about how cash poor they were. Founding member Greg Mallory released a book on the history of the BRL some years later.
It's sad how little the QRL and ARLC cares about the history of the BRL. If the QRL had any brains they would have been happy that I was collecting data about the BRL from the microfilm archives at the state library. I was using my own money to go into the city to get the records. They were ungrateful and didn't even respond to my email. I then phoned them up and spoke to some really rude and dumb woman who didn't have a clue. They don't care and are just in it for the money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Somewhere in an alternate universe the Logan scorpions are playing the Perth reds at a sold out hbf stadium which has seating on all sides. Total participation in wa still below 40k tho..
Somewhere in the multiverse pippen isnt a troll and actually contributes something meaningful to the discussion.

Do you understand that sport can grow new audiences?
If RL does not develop a following in new markets then it will become obsolete. I think the NSWRL community who talk down expansion are afraid of their teams being left behind.

It drives me mad that our game refuses to expand into new markets because it's run by people from Sydney who want the RL universe to revolve around Sydney.

MugaB

Coach
If RL does not develop a following in new markets then it will become obsolete. I think the NSWRL community who talk down expansion are afraid of their teams being left behind.

It drives me mad that our game refuses to expand into new markets because it's run by people from Sydney who want the RL universe to revolve around Sydney.
It drives me mad that you are on repeat, start posting something new FFS

Perth Red

Post Whore

South Sydney are the leading light for Sydney clubs. Ditched the pokies, concentrated on building their brand, fan engagement and corporate relationships right across sydney and beyond, moved from their small traditional area to a centralised stadium. Now reaping the rewards with strong financial performance.

Latest posts