What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the origin rules were different....

Joker's Wild

Coach
Tamou is from Auckland

The Auckland RU team is called the Blues

Tamou is eligable for the NSW Blues

Any questions?

Canard

Immortal
Ha good one, I see Palmerston North is Auckland now?

Is there any sporting event that has eligibilty criteria based on where you were "born" only?

Certainly not any of the major football codes. There has to be some cut-off though, and I think first game of footy at age 16 is sufficient, with some criteria relating to where you were born secondary etc.

I agree that it is getting a bit grey by both states however.

Maybe there should be an independant board (made up of English RL officials) that makes the final call?

Last edited:

Chainshada

Juniors
First game of footy at age 16 can also be bad..Imagine if you were a born and raised QLDer, at 15.5 years old your parents get a job in NSW (I know growing up I was bouncing all over the east coast of AUS). So you move down there for a year or 2, then back to QLD and spend the rest of your life living there.

Unless your parents are willing to send you to a boarding school because you might one day be an origin player, you'll most often be where your parents are at that age.

I'd say set the age at 16, but divide up where the player spent their time growing up, if a player was born in QLD, but spent over half his life (9+ years) in NSW, he plays for NSW.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
First game of footy at age 16 can also be bad..Imagine if you were a born and raised QLDer, at 15.5 years old your parents get a job in NSW (I know growing up I was bouncing all over the east coast of AUS). So you move down there for a year or 2, then back to QLD and spend the rest of your life living there.

Unless your parents are willing to send you to a boarding school because you might one day be an origin player, you'll most often be where your parents are at that age.

Case in point: Korbin Sims

Grew up in Gerringong. Moved to Brisbane with his brothers and played TC at 16. Moved to Newcastle at 18 to play with the Knights. Eligible for Qld :crazy:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So what? Jamie Buhrer and Tony Williams won a comp in the QLD Cup playing for Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles. Doesn't make them Queenslanders.

What? If he stayed fit for longer, Tony Williams is good enough to be a Queenslander. :cool:

Buhrer was right to choose NSW. He would never have got a look in.

Found a picture of Queensland according to Queenslanders:

260px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

:roll:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
1. Ken Nagas (Bundaberg),
2. James McManus (Scotland),
3. John Hopoate (Tonga),
4. Timana Tahu (Melbourne),
5. Hazem El Masri (Lebanon),
6. Peter Wallace (Melbourne),
7. Peter Sterling (Toowoomba),
8. Dean Pay (Melbourne),
9. Ben Elias (Lebanon),
10. Justin Poore (Bunbury, WA),
11. Ian Roberts (London),
12. Willie Mason (Auckland),
13. Mario Fenech (Malta)
14 Noa Nadruku (Fiji)
15 Akuila Uate (Fiji)
16 James Tamou (NZ)

Looks like a bloody world team.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think NSW might have the game tonight.

But seven straight would be sweet.

Maybe NSW should consider a residency rule? So the clubs based in NSW represent NSW and those outside play for Queensland.

Best of:

Cows
Broncs
Tits
Storm
Warriors

vs the rest.

beave

Coach
I was born and bred in Tvl til I was 12 years old but played all my highschool/seniors years in NSW (Moorebank, Albury and a half season of U19's for windsor where it finally dawned on me that I wasn't really going anywhere with it and gave it up). I have always identified myself as a maroon and have always supported them but I probably qualify more as a blue by eligibility criteria from a playing perspective. If I was actually any good and asked back in my playing days to play for NSW I would have politely declined and gone and washed myself in the shower for a few hours a-la The Crying Game...........

I guess each case has to be judged on it's own merits, maybe once a player reaches 14-15 years old, they have to nominate when they register for their junior club/school, the state at which they will pledge allegiance to should they make it to NRL level. I guess it's early enough where states can't really go out and buy allegiances as the talent identification is probably a tad too soon so it's still a massive gamble as to who will be a gun player when the kids are still in puberty.

I guess some basic eligibility criteria have to exist (born ,area predominantly raised, first went to school, whatever) but there has to be flexibility in the system to allow for people who have moved around as a kid. The world is not as black and white as it used to be.

Last edited: