What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we can't beat the Tigers, what hope are we?

Inept

Juniors
one positive i got out of the game was reick. look comfortable all game, i cant remember him dropping any ball and on many occasions only a desperation tackle stopped him running the field.

ali

Bench
It wasn't the worst performance ever, but it did have a 2003 look to it. Despite what the Bulldogs did later, that was never going to be a game where our attack fired. High humidity always leads to lots of dropped ball. I didn't think either team was terribly convincing Friday night, in similar conditions, and the only team to really fire was the Dogs in their first 40.

Secondly, that field was a shocker. Those of you who weren't there (namely most of the whingers in this thread), probably didn't notice how sandy it was out there. It wasn't set up for free flowing footy between 2 evenly matched teams. Guys would have had some very heavy legs. I still think we are a top 8 side, but I think there needs to be a few changes before Raper finds his best 17.

Our defence looked pretty decent and I too thought Sully and Reick looked good. One run imparticular from Galloway showed he is going to be in firsts all year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Millers you be wrong

Souths 385 Pts
Canberra 471 Pts
Nth Qld 496 Pts
WESTS TIGERS 498 Pts
Nthn Eagles 503 Pts

Souths 457 Pts
WESTS TIGERS 470 Pts
Brisbane 497 Pts
Cronulla 497 Pts
Warriors 545 Pts

Macca

Coach
WOW! Possibly the worst game of Rugby League in history. I think too many people are just looking at the scoreline here. Tigers won it from a dropped ball by Peach and a dummy half try to Senter over the Sharks try, (however that was awarded) from a kick. There was simply no spark to this game. The Sharks seemed to go out there with no game plan. It was like watching premier league before the Dogs - Eels match. I don't know where they go from here, if we had scraped out a win then atleast they'd be a bit more confident but this is one that got away. A top 4 side would have won this game by 30 points. What I saw was 2 teams that won't make the 8. I realise it's only round 1 but thats all we have to go on so far. They certainly didn't play as a team but as individuals. No one was hitting the line or backing up.

Stevens, Hilder, Sullivan, Bird, Saleh, Galloway and Reick were the only guys who seemed to be motivated, although none of them did anything special they just played better than the others.

Kimmorley was in second gear, Peachey made costly errors, Bailey looks happy to be getting his paycheck and Beattie looked like he had run a Marathon prior to taking the field.

McGoldrick seems to be out of his depth and created nothing, Gallen wanted to fight everyone, Nutley tried hard but was out muscled, Bosnich wasn't his best and Isemonger did very little.

I desperatley hope we improve next week but my confidence has been well and truly quelled. :(

chili pepper

Bench
Spot on McSharkie, I agree with you 100%.

Did they watch some old Harlem Globetrotters game before they went out on the field? I was amazed at our lack of discipline with the ball. Once in the 1st half we tried to throw 600 passes straight after the Tigers had dropped it. First tackle and they were trying to produce a miracle try! The scary thing was that Noddy and Peach were the chief culprits.

I get the feeling we are in for another long season. Hopefully we will get back to some basics and use some common sense next week.

Cheer yourselves up everybody. Go over to the Eels forum. You think we were unhappy with tonight's result. Brian Smith is probably more unwanted at Parra than CA was here with us. Go on. Go over and give yourself a lift.

wittyfan

Referee
Coastal Shark said:
Cheer yourselves up everybody. Go over to the Eels forum. You think we were unhappy with tonight's result. Brian Smith is probably more unwanted at Parra than CA was here with us. Go on. Go over and give yourself a lift.

I've been over to there last night and they are probably more frustrated with lack of success than what we are! :lol: But 1986 wasn't ALL that long ago.

incredible_holc

Juniors
Lomu cost us the game, It was the turning point they scored from that mistake.
No more excuses, who do we blame now Anderson??????????????
ummm hate to break it to you but we never looked like we were going to win, even when we were infront. It wasnt a turning point, maybe it was an increase in the decline but there was nothing there for it to turn

Macca

Coach
I felt the same as holc too. It was just a bad feeling right from the start right til the end! I never wanna feel like that again.

incredible_holc said:
Lomu cost us the game, It was the turning point they scored from that mistake.
No more excuses, who do we blame now Anderson??????????????
ummm hate to break it to you but we never looked like we were going to win, even when we were infront. It wasnt a turning point, maybe it was an increase in the decline but there was nothing there for it to turn

It was a turning point. We were in front at the time.

Macca

Coach
We were in front as both you and Holc have mentioned but that isn't the point. It never felt like we had the upper hand. When Lomu dropped it, it just felt the same only the Tigers finally did capitalise.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I still maintain after round one, we are as good as a chance as many, all sides will improve.

McSharkie said:
We were in front as both you and Holc have mentioned but that isn't the point. It never felt like we had the upper hand. When Lomu dropped it, it just felt the same only the Tigers finally did capitalise.

I agree we didn't play well, but in my opinion, we held field position, and had the ascendency over the Tigers at that point of the game.

Lomu's fumble was a clear turning point. The Tigers didn't really look like scoring in the second half, until we handed the ball to them on a platter.