What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were coach right now

hazzbeen

Bench
Ok if you were coach of the team right now what changes would you make , how would you change the way we play ? For starters Id move Nene to center , for take your pick Aitken or Tim , Mann to wing , Lawrie , Lomax to the bench .... Lets see what we can come up with .....

Red V for life

Juniors
Yep...i’d get to grips with the fact I’m out of my depth. One occurrence of the team dropping it’s bundle can be an anomaly. Four occurrences is a trend that rests with how the team has been managed during the course of the year.

He has left it too late for mine to make any meaningful change. Some players could’ve done with a rest, others time in ISP, but it didn’t happen. All his eggs are in the one basket.

I’d like to see Pereira and Nene on the wings this week. Nighty gets a rest. Maybe swap Mann and Aitken around. Although, I think we’ll need 4 forwards on the bench given PV’s injury so there may not be room for Aitken.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We need spark, enthusiasm and drive. Play a bit of ad-lib footy and get the opposition second guessing our next play.
To do this we need to re-align our starting 17. I would go with (assuming Nene and Vaughan are out this week)

F/B - Dufty
Wings - Pereira and Mann
Centres - Lafai and Lomax
Halves - Hunt and Widdop
Lock - JDB
FR - Graham and Lawrie
SR - Friz and Sims
Hooker - McInnes

Bench - LAM, Leilua, Robson and Herbert.

Replace Friz with Leilua and move Friz to Prop around the 25 min mark replacing Graham and LAM replacing Lawrie. Robson can play hooker and a bit of second row which would compensate McInnes and even Sims if needed. Herbert can fill a job as centre, wing or fullback.
I would keep Lafia ahead of Aitken, because I think Aitken is mentally damaged from his encounter with Mitchell and missing out on SOO. A stint in reggies might just refresh him. I can find no room for Nighty of Latimore anymore.
Leilua's familiarity with both Dufty and Herbert would lead to some enterprising play. Not the crab running we have now.

That's what I would do if I were coach right now. It's a fresh approach mixed with experience and youth and plenty of enthusiasm. Yeah, they will make some mistakes but I'd rather see them doing that by having a go rather than the same mistakes with wishy washy play.

hazzbeen

Bench
We need spark, enthusiasm and drive. Play a bit of ad-lib footy and get the opposition second guessing our next play.
To do this we need to re-align our starting 17. I would go with (assuming Nene and Vaughan are out this week)

F/B - Dufty
Wings - Pereira and Mann
Halves - Hunt and Widdop
Lock - JDB
FR - Graham and Lawrie
SR - Friz and Sims
Hooker - McInnes

Replace Friz with Leilua and move Friz to Prop around the 25 min mark replacing Graham and LAM replacing Lawrie. Robson can play hooker and a bit of second row which would compensate McInnes and even Sims if needed. Herbert can fill a job as centre, wing or fullback.
I would keep Lafia ahead of Aitken, because I think Aitken is mentally damaged from his encounter with Mitchell and missing out on SOO. A stint in reggies might just refresh him. I can find no room for Nighty of Latimore anymore.
Leilua's familiarity with both Dufty and Herbert would lead to some enterprising play. Not the crab running we have now.

That's what I would do if I were coach right now. It's a fresh approach mixed with experience and youth and plenty of enthusiasm. Yeah, they will make some mistakes but I'd rather see them doing that by having a go rather than the same mistakes with wishy washy play.
Mate you got the job . Things need to change or we will continue our march out ....

The Damo

Juniors

F/B - Dufty
Wings - Pereira and Mann
Halves - Hunt and Widdop
Lock - JDB
FR - Graham and Lawrie
SR - Friz and Sims
Hooker - McInnes

This is good stuff.
Agree re aitken, his form was dipping and then Latrell broke him. Lomax should come in for him and he can get confidence back in reserves. Nighty gods love him needs to go with dignity, so Mann and JP unless nene is fit. Then Nene and JP.
Agree with Vaughan out that Frizz should start on the edge then move to the middle for Luc to play 50-55 minutes straight on the edge.
I’d also rest jack this week. His runs and metres are way down. He’s still doing his job in defence but needs a week off.
I’d also be telling McInnes to run at least twice as much, go at any opportunity that looks half ok.
So
Dufty, nene, JP
Lafai, Lomax
Hunt, Widdop
Graham, McInnes, Lawrie
Frizz, sims
Sele
Bench
LAM, Leilua, Robson, Mann

Frank Facer

First Grade
I could start a whole thread on what I would do if I was coach. lol

If I was coach, I would drop Aitken, Lafai and Nightingale. I would replace them with McDonald and Lomax in the centres and Mann on the wing. I would also move Frizell to prop to replace Vaughan and promote Lucky to start on the left edge with Sims on the right edge.

McDonald was a centre entering first grade with Easts, he played s bit of centre at the Gold Coast too. I am not sure how he would go, but I think he would do better than Aitken and Lafai. The other option would be to play Herbert at centre and move McDonald back to the wing.

I am not sure if Lomax is ready or not, but I believe he would also do better than Aitken and Lafai right now and he would be getting a taste of first grade, which should help for next year.

I picked Mann on the wing, because there isn't any better options.

I said that I would have moved Frizell to prop earlier in the season when while we were still undefeated. He is more suited to the middle. He would make a great lock, but we already have a great lock in DeBelin. He is tough, runs hard, tackles hard and has a high work rate in the middle. I would be leaving him at prop even when Vaughan comes back.

Lucky has been one of our few positives over the last several weeks. He is really starting to look like a genuine first grade prospect, maybe even better. He adds another dimension to our attack and gives us a forward with X factor.

I would have Ah Mau, Latimore, Host (if fit and Lawrie if not) and Aitken on my bench. My side would be

1 Dufty
2 Periera
3 Lomax
4 McDonald
5 Mann
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Lucky
11 Sims
10 Frizell
9 McInnes
8 Graham

14 Aitken
15 Host
16 Ah Mau
17 Latimore

I think our attack looks a bit flat, I would want to see it get a bit deeper. I would remind our players of one of the most simple, but effective plays in the game, the run around. I would ask Widdop and Hunt to straighten up our attack. I would have Dufty sniffing around the middle of the field on our early tackles, looking for an offload. I would tell Nene to get angry and play hard and tough.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I could start a whole thread on what I would do if I was coach. lol

If I was coach, I would drop Aitken, Lafai and Nightingale. I would replace them with McDonald and Lomax in the centres and Mann on the wing. I would also move Frizell to prop to replace Vaughan and promote Lucky to start on the left edge with Sims on the right edge.

McDonald was a centre entering first grade with Easts, he played s bit of centre at the Gold Coast too. I am not sure how he would go, but I think he would do better than Aitken and Lafai. The other option would be to play Herbert at centre and move McDonald back to the wing.

I am not sure if Lomax is ready or not, but I believe he would also do better than Aitken and Lafai right now and he would be getting a taste of first grade, which should help for next year.

I picked Mann on the wing, because there isn't any better options.

I said that I would have moved Frizell to prop earlier in the season when while we were still undefeated. He is more suited to the middle. He would make a great lock, but we already have a great lock in DeBelin. He is tough, runs hard, tackles hard and has a high work rate in the middle. I would be leaving him at prop even when Vaughan comes back.

Lucky has been one of our few positives over the last several weeks. He is really starting to look like a genuine first grade prospect, maybe even better. He adds another dimension to our attack and gives us a forward with X factor.

I would have Ah Mau, Latimore, Host (if fit and Lawrie if not) and Aitken on my bench. My side would be

1 Dufty
2 Periera
3 Lomax
4 McDonald
5 Mann
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Lucky
11 Sims
10 Frizell
9 McInnes
8 Graham

14 Aitken
15 Host
16 Ah Mau
17 Latimore

I think our attack looks a bit flat, I would want to see it get a bit deeper. I would remind our players of one of the most simple, but effective plays in the game, the run around. I would ask Widdop and Hunt to straighten up our attack. I would have Dufty sniffing around the middle of the field on our early tackles, looking for an offload. I would tell Nene to get angry and play hard and tough.
Agree with almost all of these suggestions I'd be going all out too with Lomax to the centres in Aitkens place. I would also be having a word to McInnes to step up and get back to his earlier season form and consider playing Robson on the bench to show him I'm serious.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree with almost all of these suggestions I'd be going all out too with Lomax to the centres in Aitkens place. I would also be having a word to McInnes to step up and get back to his earlier season form and consider playing Robson on the bench to show him I'm serious.
Like on the weekend with 15 to go I would have move Hunt to dummy half we need something more and he looked more likely ...

st penguin

Juniors
Meh...all this tinkering of the backline highlights how few options we have.

Seems like our only hope is an untested 18 year old.

I was thinking earlier today how different our side would be if we had 2010 version of Matt Cooper in the side. Probably put him in the right to stiffen up the defence - how many tries this year would he have stopped? About 5 - 10?

Crush

Coach
Team for this week against Para
Resting JDB, dropping Nighty & Lafai, playing Graham off bench.
1.Dufty
2.Pereria
3.Nene
4.Aitken
5.Herbert
6.Widdop
7.Hunt
8.LAM
9.McInnes
10.Lawrie
11.Sims
12 Friz
13.Sele
14. Leilua
15. Graham
16. Latimore
17. Mann

2010Dragons

Bench
If I was coach, I would give them simple instructions.
Play with intensity or you are fired
Drop a ball you are fired
Make an error you are fired.
Miss a tackle you are fired.

I would also hold their love ones hostage until they bring home the premiership trophy.

I’m not kidding. ...

Latest posts