What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were coach right now

Ok if you were coach of the team right now what changes would you make , how would you change the way we play ? For starters Id move Nene to center , for take your pick Aitken or Tim , Mann to wing , Lawrie , Lomax to the bench .... Lets see what we can come up with .....
Worthwhile having a go at least.
1. Dufty
2. Nightingale (I know, I know but outside a decent centre could show some form)
3. Nene
4. Mann
5. Lomax
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. LAM
11. Frizell
12. Sims
13. JDB
Interchange
14. Latimore
15. Lawrie
16. Robson
17.Leilua
*Simple game plan would be to contest the middle as direct as possible.
*Make Hunt the main playmaker and go to man. Get him involved as much as possible.
*Graham to captain the side - start the game and finish the game.
*McIness to keep the ruck tight and run more. Give Robson two short stints when opposition forwards are fatiguing.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Spanner with Vaughan being busted ..

Dufty
Nene Mann Lomax Pereira
Widdop Hunt

AhMau McInnes Frizell
Sims Leilua
De Belin

Robson, Lawrie, Sele, Graham

ouryears

Bench
Ok if you were coach of the team right now what changes would you make , how would you change the way we play ? For starters Id move Nene to center , for take your pick Aitken or Tim , Mann to wing , Lawrie , Lomax to the bench .... Lets see what we can come up with .....
Graham captain
Widdop fullback
Mann to halves, can't be less effective than Widdop and also let hunt run the team.
Dufty wing.
Pereira wing.
Nene centre.

Slackboy72

Coach
I would write off this year and get my 3/4 line sorted. Nightingale and Lafai are not asking questions of or threatening defensive lines.

I would blood the following combination. Put them in and let their defensive combination develop:
1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Lomax
4 Aitken
5 Peraeira

That's our problem. We have everything sorted everywhere else on the park.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would realise the saying all eggs in one basket means something.

Avoid the mirror.

Say things like we lead the comp.

Hope like hell the half I paid premium dollar for wins us games.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I would write off this year and get my 3/4 line sorted. Nightingale and Lafai are not asking questions of or threatening defensive lines.

I would blood the following combination. Put them in and let their defensive combination develop:
1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Lomax
4 Aitken
5 Peraeira

That's our problem. We have everything sorted everywhere else on the park.

and you maintain Aitken. Both he and Lomax are right side players so something has to give.

Aitken - Tries 10 (good), Try assists 0 (bad), Line break assists 1 (bad), Try causes 15 (so bad)
Lafai - Tries 5 (Mediocre), Try Assists 4 (mediocre), Line Break Assists 3 (poor) Try Causes 7 (fair)

In terms of tries create/caused … Aitken is running at -5, Lafai +2 (and he has been poor this year)

Neither required in the centres going forward - we need team players who will give a net positive impact to the team.

Right now Mann is a better option at centre than either Aitken/Lafai but not a long term solution. We need to buy/develop a left centre ASAP and shed Aitken/Lafai/Nightingale.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If I were coach right now, I would:

1. Paint the gym
2. Tune the Jetski
3. Rest DeBelin, Graham, Widdop and maybe McInnes
4. Drop Lafai, Aitken and Nighty
5. Give Lomax, Mann, Pereira, Leilua, Lawrie, Sele and maybe Robson a decent run.

Fair chance we will lose to Parra anyway. If we lose without key players, at least we have an excuse, and we have given some youngsters a proper go.

BLM01

First Grade
I waffle on a lot but I could not fit all the changes I would make in 1 reply. My head hurts strating to think about it. Or scrap the lot and start afresh :rolleyes:

BLM01

First Grade
Agree mate , If just we seen something different from the coaching staff , I would say at least they are trying to stop the rot ....
No we dont need to scrap the lot. But I would interview starting at No 1 and be honest about their positives and negatives and tell them to work on it and rectify or be dropped. I think the word is "accountable" I would start at No 1 as all 17 need a talking too. Some harsher than others.
But my main message to all is please support the ball carrier and to my halves please draw defenders before passing or kicking in attack, not 3-4 metres back, you might be surprised holes will appear or be created for big or quick bodies. That will do for my 1st day on the job.

The Damo

Juniors
and you maintain Aitken. Both he and Lomax are right side players so something has to give.

Aitken - Tries 10 (good), Try assists 0 (bad), Line break assists 1 (bad), Try causes 15 (so bad)
Lafai - Tries 5 (Mediocre), Try Assists 4 (mediocre), Line Break Assists 3 (poor) Try Causes 7 (fair)

In terms of tries create/caused … Aitken is running at -5, Lafai +2 (and he has been poor this year)

Neither required in the centres going forward - we need team players who will give a net positive impact to the team.

Right now Mann is a better option at centre than either Aitken/Lafai but not a long term solution. We need to buy/develop a left centre ASAP and shed Aitken/Lafai/Nightingale.
It’s a bit more accurate to express these as averages and in comparison, for instance Lafai is, on average, just as likely to get a try assist in any given game as;
Mitchell
Manu
Ramien
Gagai
Hayne etc.
and there’s only 5 regular players in the centres more likely to get one. That’s probably better than mediocre. And I agree he’s down on form in attack. Similar for LBA - he’s equally as likely as Roberts, Ramien, Croker, which is not bad company.
For try causes he’s less likely to conced a try than the likes of - Inglis, Roberts, Ramien, whare, and equal with Gagai and Manu.
Aitken’s defence after showing some definite improvement early, is now completely shot and he’s a much more pressing issue.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I find him a bit arrogant , he really does think he is a good coach I would have more respect for him if he came out and said yea I F**ked up after a loss , I need to change something ....

Instead of looking for a scap goat.
Two year ago he blamed JD.
Last year he blamed the medical staff.
I wonder who, will it be this year.

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
I have summarised the main issue from 2013 onwards:

2013 - Price in charge - Issue was his attacking coach - Mary
2014 - Price in change - Issue was Mary- he took over
2015 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2016 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2017 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2018 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary

hazzbeen

Bench
I have summarised the main issue from 2013 onwards:

2013 - Price in charge - Issue was his attacking coach - Mary
2014 - Price in change - Issue was Mary- he took over
2015 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2016 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2017 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
2018 - Mary in charge - Issue was Mary
What a waste of years ....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Although reticent to blood youth for the sake of it, I fear Saints have no choice but to so do. In fact, it would be completely irresponsible (not to mention ludicrous) to go with some members currently plying their trade in the ISP.

My side:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
13. Debellin
12. Sims
11. Frizell
10. Vaughan (if unfit, Au Mau)
9. Robson
8. Graham

Reserves

14. Lawrie
15. Sele
16. Host (if fit)
17. Kerr (only because I cannot think of anyone else who can play prop)

getsmarty

Immortal
Although reticent to blood youth for the sake of it, I fear Saints have no choice but to so do. In fact, it would be completely irresponsible (not to mention ludicrous) to go with some members currently plying their trade in the ISP.

My side:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
13. Debellin
12. Sims
11. Frizell
10. Vaughan (if unfit, Au Mau)
9. Robson
8. Graham

Reserves

14. Lawrie
15. Sele
16. Host (if fit)
17. Kerr (only because I cannot think of anyone else who can play prop)

Good side...why does McInnes miss out ??? I'd have him starting and robson on the bench.

Bench
If we get to the final game of the season and that game, win or lose has no bearing on where we finish on the table play Lomax in the centers. He looks like he will be a regular first grader so give him a chance. Lafai and Aitken should not be the starting centers next season.

gitano

Juniors
Lol. This forum used to have some knowledgeable posters. Now it's just crisis merchants in every thread lol.
Fancy a team with the same salary cap losing to other teams occasionally with the same salary cap!!? Sack the coach and all the players asap!!