What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iffy roberts?

The Colonel

Immortal
IFFY ROBERTS?
Casey McGuire's season-ending injury has given five-eighth Ben Roberts another opportunity in the top grade. However, coach Stephen Kearney isn't the only one wondering if he's up to NRL standard. Former Eels pivot Jason Bell posted this on Facebook on April 29: ''Ben Roberts worse 5 8 since 1999 . The year I played. No wonder they keep getting beaten. Might make a comeback need some extra cash.'' That prompted this response from another former Parramatta playmaker, Chris Lawler: ''worst 5 8 since 1996 when I played there. he is seriously terrible, If he's a first grader I've got no idea?''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pera-becomes-ugly-reality-20120602-1zoie.html

I still think he has Keith Blackett and Mark Barnes covered.....

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol: Kept saying last year that Ben Roberts is a 5/8 dud. He is too hot and and cold. His brain is suspect to go stupid when put under some pressure. I have never been excited about/for Roberts joining our NRL squad. Sorry Benny, you are not up to it. Heaps of smart ex players could see through Roberts. How come SK, Peter Nolan, Brad Arthur's, etc, could not see the type of dud 5/8 Roberts is at NRL level.

Gronk

Staff member
OK that's not surprising.

Seriously who would post anything in social media. They must have cadet journos trolling the interweb looking for quotes these days.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
OK that's not surprising.

Seriously who would post anything in social media. They must have cadet journos trolling the interweb looking for quotes these days.
Danny-Weidler-2.jpg

True EEL

Bench
Who will be our 5/8 next year?
Obviously we need to buy or promote somebody.

You see, this very question worried me last season and all off-season. Couldn't understand how the club or SK could give a then reserve-grader - Ben Roberts - a red carpet ride into the 5/8 position? He didn't even have to earn it....:roll:

True EEL

Bench
Jason Bell was a very handy player, and i always had a wrap on Lawler. Shame Smithy didn't.

Jason Bell was a fantastic player....it was only that he was essentially the first newly-anointed NEXT Sterlo that he never became the great player he probably should have. He, quite understandably, just couldn't seem to cope with the sheer weight of expectation that was lumped on him so early in his career. That was proven by the fact that later in his career, he actually played some of his best football, both at Souths and then back at Parra. Jason Bell could have been a great, great player....Chris lawler was just never given a fair crack at Parra, he could also have been our half or 5/8 for a long time.

The big thing to me about guys like this having a crack at someone like Benny Roberts is probably a reflection of the fact that they had so many obstacles in front of them during their runs at the club - yet Benny has so far been given a comparatively easy ride

natheel

Coach
You see, this very question worried me last season and all off-season. Couldn't understand how the club or SK could give a then reserve-grader - Ben Roberts - a red carpet ride into the 5/8 position? He didn't even have to earn it....:roll:

Who did he have to earn it off?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Two ex-players who weren't smart enough to get jobs in coaching.

What a stupid crap comment this is Poo Poo.
You are implying ex players like Peter Sterling are not smart enough to be a coach! There are many brilliant ex players out there who have had no interest in taking up coaching. So these players are now all written off because they did not take up coaching! Seriously, you are a total f**k wit Poo Poo. And please don't come back saying it was just a joke because you will be lying again.

They mustn't all be as smart as you. :roll:

Again, another very stupid comment.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Ben Roberts has shown glimpses of form this year and he clearly has some ability. I get where Bell and lawler are coming from, but its pretty harsh to put it like they have. Obviously, if KK was here he would be our 5/8, but he's not and Roberts is the best of what we've got this year. We might buy another 5/8 or we might develop one at the club. But until that time Roberts needs our support.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Casper said:
What a stupid crap comment this is Poo Poo.

Well obviously it must be stupid because you don't agree with it. :roll:

You are implying ex players like Peter Sterling are not smart enough to be a coach!

No, I'm stating outright that ex-players like Jason Bell and Chris Lawler are not smart enough to be coach.

Sterlo is a journalist and commentator, and is widely respected in the game, so of course he's smart enough to coach.

Bell and Lawler are lucky social media was invented or we'd never hear their opinions. Because they're neither smart enough to coach nor smart enough for sports journalism (and you don't have to be very smart to do that).

There are many brilliant ex players out there who have had no interest in taking up coaching. So these players are now all written off because they did not take up coaching! Seriously, you are a total f**k wit Poo Poo.

Nice strawman, f**kwit.

Next time consider the whole picture before taking half an idea and running with it.

And get off the bongs.

And please don't come back saying it was just a joke because you will be lying again.

You'll know when I'm joking because it will be funny - y'know, that thing you never manage?

Gronk

Staff member
Lawler and Bell are a gabillion times more qualified to make comment about an NRL player than you are Poo. LOL at your pop gun attack on their credibility.

Latest posts