What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illawarra v Penrith on Fox League

nrlnrl

First Grade
Saturday from 12:40, with Bryce Cartwright set to make his return. Illawarra dropped out of the top 8 after their loss to the Warriors & face the Panthers who are 3rd. They are 5 points clear of 10th, so it's probably only 9 teams in the race for spots in the Finals.

NB - Holden Cup not being televised on Sunday due to Womens Interstate Challenge (20's from 9:45 for those keen fans)

ISP Team for Round 20 v Penrith Panthers:

1. Matthew Dufty

2. Kalifa Faifai Loa

3. Patrick Herbert

4. Jordan Pereira

5. Izaac Thompson

6. Adam Clune

7. Jack Payne

8. Mose Masoe

9. Jake Marketo

10. Jacob Hind

11. Will Matthews

12. Luciano Leilua

13. Hame Sele

Interchange

14. Reece Robson

15. Jesse Dee

16. Josh Kerr

17. Rhys Kennedy

19. Sam Clune

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Good opportunity to take a look at who we have:
Dufty, Lelua, Kerr, Robson & Co
and who we may re-sign (sign):
Thompson, Payne, Hind and Clune.

Interesting how Penrith bring Cartwright back through reggies, whereas we throw them straight back into the firing line (aka Aitken) and wonder why they are continually busted.

Masoe possibly won't be playing if his move to Hull KR goes through.

KFFL may also go before the weekend.

They certainly have cleared the decks and told Head do your best.

Spudd

Juniors
Masoe possibly won't be playing if his move to Hull KR goes through.

KFFL may also go before the weekend.

They certainly have cleared the decks and told Head do your best.
Can you tell me what the club gains by moving these three on this late in the season? Surely they could contribute to a run to the semis.
If it's to save paying their wages I doubt this would fill the coffers.
It doesn't make sense.

Drag Queen

Bench
Can you tell me what the club gains by moving these three on this late in the season? Surely they could contribute to a run to the semis.
If it's to save paying their wages I doubt this would fill the coffers.
It doesn't make sense.
If the boys don't make it to the UK promptly they will not qualify to join the ESL. I'm fairly sure the cut off date is coming up.

Drag you are correct the cut off for being eligable for next year is right now thats why they are letting them go to give each player a chance to get a decent contract for next year.

McCarthy was the only one who didn't need to do this but what I was told was true he wasn't wanted so they let him go early.

These players were never going to play first grade this year so why keep them around next to go is KFFL and he also offers little.

denis preston

First Grade
Some have aired opinions on certain Illawarra players without even seeing them play ( you certainly can have an opinion on this forum and it doesn't even have to be an informed one ! )

Lets put the microscope through the 7 or 8 players that some say should be knocking the door down for first grade and talk about it after. For the 3 or 4 games i've seen so far Hebert has been underwhelming but Leilua, Kerr , Hind have impressed. Will be good to see if Thompson shows anything and Dufty's defense is tested.

Herbert may take time to develop but certainly worth persisting with.

Kerr should be starting again with Mose gone.

Leilua and Hind have played well in an inconsistant team with Hind basically playing for a new deal which I doubt he'll get.

Thompson has improved alot again playing for a nrw deal which looks unlikely at this stage.

Dufty has really come along and he will get tested especially with a miss mash of a team.