What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'm p****d OFF WITH OZ ATTITUDE Sam Burgess fed up with Aussie view of English players as NRL shatte

Travitoh

First Grade
I can understand Sam's frustration (if it is a real interview i should add) but the question that needs to be asked is were the NRL clubs consulted about the fixture before it was confirmed? After all, the clubs pay the wages, not the RFL

Pommy

Coach
I can understand Sam's frustration (if it is a real interview i should add) but the question that needs to be asked is were the NRL clubs consulted about the fixture before it was confirmed? After all, the clubs pay the wages, not the RFL

Why should they be consulted? The rules are players are to be released, if not the players are to be suspended.

No other sport works like that. Last year the English players flew to Sydney for a mid season test and it wasn’t a problem. The Australian players are playing a three game mid season test and that’s not a problem. It’s a f**king joke.

If Souths don’t release the brothers they can hav my ticket back and I’m f**king done with them.

Travitoh

First Grade
I agree with what you're saying but it wasn't that long ago that English clubs refused to release players to join the Socceroos squad.

International fixtures aren't the NRL's responsibility, especially when played outside of Australia. RLIF need to step in like FIFA did and force the clubs hand into releasing players.

We all want international footy to grow but it is the responsibility of the RLIF to do it, not the NRL or RFL

ThingFish

Juniors
Why should they be consulted? The rules are players are to be released, if not the players are to be suspended.

No other sport works like that. Last year the English players flew to Sydney for a mid season test and it wasn’t a problem. The Australian players are playing a three game mid season test and that’s not a problem. It’s a f**king joke.

If Souths don’t release the brothers they can hav my ticket back and I’m f**king done with them.
If this is an NRL call I don’t think there’s anything Souths can do about it.

I haven’t read any comment from Souths on the issue, but I’d like to think they are supporting Sam on this issue.

Pommy

Coach
If this is an NRL call I don’t think there’s anything Souths can do about it.

I haven’t read any comment from Souths on the issue, but I’d like to think they are supporting Sam on this issue.

The NRL clubs are the ones protesting to the NRL.
The nrl is rumoured to only give their blessing to not release them. Souths pay their wages not the NRL so if they want to release them they can. I don’t believe Souths with 2/3 players in the running to be called up don’t have a hand in it.

In the context of origin it amounts to nothing less than discrimination in my eyes. It’s ok for Australians but not foreigners, f**king bull shit.

Travitoh

First Grade
SOO is a NRL product and big money earner for them. England vs NZ in Denver isn't either of those things.

You only need to look at what happened to Hodgson in the RLWC and how that has inpacted Canberra to understand the clubs concerns.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of it at all but from the point of view of the NRL and it's clubs, i don't see a reason as to why they should release some of their highest earners for little or no compensation should something happen to them.

Pommy

Coach
SOO is a NRL product and big money earner for them. England vs NZ in Denver isn't either of those things.

You only need to look at what happened to Hodgson in the RLWC and how that has inpacted Canberra to understand the clubs concerns.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of it at all but from the point of view of the NRL and it's clubs, i don't see a reason as to why they should release some of their highest earners for little or no compensation should something happen to them.

Because that’s the f**king rules. Why shouldn’t we play with 15 players or 8 tackles a set?
How are teams like Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands supposed to compensate NRL clubs?

The NRL clubs are the ones protesting to the NRL.
The nrl is rumoured to only give their blessing to not release them. Souths pay their wages not the NRL so if they want to release them they can. I don’t believe Souths with 2/3 players in the running to be called up don’t have a hand in it.

In the context of origin it amounts to nothing less than discrimination in my eyes. It’s ok for Australians but not foreigners, f**king bull shit.

Stupid timing for a test march. There should have been decisions between all party’s involved to have a international break in both the nrl and superleauge so players can rep there county’s just like they do in soccer.

Pommy

Coach
Stupid timing for a test march. There should have been decisions between all party’s involved to have a international break in both the nrl and superleauge so players can rep there county’s just like they do in soccer.

That’s exactly what happened for f**ks sake. Origin standalone weekend is an international break. There are no NRL or SL games.
The other two origin games will rob teams of players mid season not England vs NZ.

Pommy

Coach
then why is everyone crying the clubs and nrl have no right to Stop players leaving

Because Australian clubs are so f**king closed minded to expanding the game. They want to continue being the biggest fish in a puddle.
Last year England Vs Samoa was SL mid season and they managed to let players fly to oz for England and the pacific sides.

Pommy

Coach
To the people who haven’t been following this in other threads I will try to explain the situation here in brief.
Rugby league in the northern hemisphere is at a cross roads right now. It has to expand or it is going to be wiped out. Union may be shrinking here by in England it is on the up and it is on the up in a big way in the other home countries.
This is why you can see the RFL are open to a lot of new ideas. We have 2 teams from France in the system and one from Canada. That’s with the prospect of another Canadian team and an American team in the next season or two.
For the sport to be strengthened in England there has to be an international scene. A couple of post season games are just not going to cut it anymore.
People can complain that there’s nothing in it for the NRL but I couldn’t disagee more. Unless the game grows in the northern hemisphere there will be a situation where the NRL can’t recruit the next Burgess, Widdop, Graham, Hodgson and the NRL will be a lot worse off for that.

Travitoh

First Grade
The NRL isn't in a position of strength in this country either. Let's be honest, the only reason that it is competing with the AFL is thanks largely to the population in RL heartlands. Outside of NSW and Qld, it is AFL territory and they are slowly sinking their claws into our zones too. Therefore, the NRL need to do what is best for the NRL and an England vs NZ friendly in Denver is what's best for RFL, not NRL.

I'd liken it to the EPL as recent as in the early 2000's when clubs refused to release players for WC qualifiers. The difference here however is the EPL was and still is the biggest brand in England. There is no salary cap in place and at the time, there was no restrictions on player movement. A lot of players were easily replaced should they get injured while away.
In the NRL, there is a salary cap in place, limiting the potential for a club to replace a player who gets injured while on international duty. Josh Hodgson for example. These English players are crucial cogs in the set up of a club and losing them to injury would severly dent any hope of success for the season.

Travitoh

First Grade
If the roles were reversed and the RFL were the stronger governing body in RL, would they release their players to represent Australia and NZ in a friendly mid season?

Pommy

Coach
The NRL isn't in a position of strength in this country either. Let's be honest, the only reason that it is competing with the AFL is thanks largely to the population in RL heartlands. Outside of NSW and Qld, it is AFL territory and they are slowly sinking their claws into our zones too. Therefore, the NRL need to do what is best for the NRL and an England vs NZ friendly in Denver is what's best for RFL, not NRL.

I'd liken it to the EPL as recent as in the early 2000's when clubs refused to release players for WC qualifiers. The difference here however is the EPL was and still is the biggest brand in England. There is no salary cap in place and at the time, there was no restrictions on player movement. A lot of players were easily replaced should they get injured while away.
In the NRL, there is a salary cap in place, limiting the potential for a club to replace a player who gets injured while on international duty. Josh Hodgson for example. These English players are crucial cogs in the set up of a club and losing them to injury would severly dent any hope of success for the season.

Which EPL clubs refused to release players?

My problem with your Hodgson analargy is JT. Cowboys potentially lost a premiership because of origin, but that’s fine because Australia. f**king hypocritical merkins.

Pommy

Coach
Also you do realise if the players aren’t released they’re suspended for our home game against cowboys?

Travitoh

First Grade
Which EPL clubs refused to release players?

My problem with your Hodgson analargy is JT. Cowboys potentially lost a premiership because of origin, but that’s fine because Australia. f**king hypocritical merkins.

Leeds wouldn't release Kewell, Viduka and Okon amongst others and they weren't alone, at times claiming they were injured even though no club matches were missed. I imagine that this is a similar line that will be pedalled out by NRL clubs. Afterall, everyone has a niggle by that stage of the season.

JT went down in an NRL endorsed fixture. The friendly in Denver has very little to do with the NRL outside of players used.

Pommy

Coach
Leeds wouldn't release Kewell, Viduka and Okon amongst others and they weren't alone, at times claiming they were injured even though no club matches were missed. I imagine that this is a similar line that will be pedalled out by NRL clubs. Afterall, everyone has a niggle by that stage of the season.

JT went down in an NRL endorsed fixture. The friendly in Denver has very little to do with the NRL outside of players used.

Now i don't condone that but those players were obviously in on it, and didn't want to rep their countries. That does not seem to be the case here.
The clubs are not peddling that line at all in this case they are full on trying to get it closed down, as i have said it has everything to do with the NRL. Where are the players going to come from in the future? Why agree to an international window and then pul this stunt when tickets have already gone on sale? Its f**king disgusting and i have no idea how anyone can support it.

Travitoh

First Grade
To be honest, i expect it all to be not much more than hot air and the NRL looking for a cut of the earnings.

But if it's not, then it's a chance for the English players to step up for the English game and show just how much they are willing to sacrifice to represent their country.
How big would it be for RL in England if Sam Burgess was willing to give up his NRL contract so that he could play for England? The English public are very patriotic as I'm sure you would be aware and feel more and more disconnected with the EPL stars that represent England who care more about money than the Three Lions.
It would shift some of the power from the NRL to the RFL should the players make a stand.

Latest posts