What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I'm worth more than that" - Benji

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k=4c20782068f0626ea5b0e21b56a3881b-1472647513

BENJI Marshall has no regrets about rejecting a $300,000 contract extension from St George Illawarra, saying: “I know I’m worth more than that”.

On the eve of what may be his NRL farewell, Marshall has opened up to The Daily Telegraph about wanting to play on for another three years in Australia — and now taking charge of his own contract discussions to get the deal done.

While yet to find a club for 2017, the 31-year-old remains confident of getting himself sorted within six weeks of his Dragons swan song at Kogarah Oval on Saturday.

Yet even if forced into retirement, the 2005 premiership hero insists he will never regret knocking back that Dragons one-year extension back in March.

“Do I regret that? No, not at all,’’ Marshall said.

5bed99f9599d92b501d446fd66dc3266

Marshall has no regrets about rejecting a $300,000 contract extension. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: News Limited
“I’m a big believer in self worth, in knowing what you’re worth. And I believe I’m worth more than that offer.

“Which may sound arrogant, cocky, whatever.

“But to put things in perspective, there are teenage halves out there right now, guys who haven’t played any NRL yet, getting paid $300,000.

“I’ve played 14 seasons and know that, if injury free, I’ll offer a lot more. On the field and off it.

“So yes, $300,000 was thrown onto the table which I declined.

“And does that look silly now? Probably.

“But not from my point of view.

“It’s all about self worth and respect. And if I’d taken that offer I wouldn’t be respecting myself.”

Yet having now ruled out a switch to the English Super League, what chance Marshall can still get his worth from an NRL rival?

“Look, clubs know I’m going to be desperate,’’ he continued. “That they won’t have to pay me what I’m worth.

Wow, this guy. His ego would make Dugan blush

mxlegend99

Referee
He thinks he's worth more than a teenage half...

But if you could sign Nathan Cleary, Ashley Taylor or Benji Marshall on a 3 year deal worth $300k a season. Not a single club would prioritize Benji.

Those teenage halves offer more than him. They are already better than he is at this stage of his career. They will only improve with experience and maturity while he will only decline because he is well and truly past his best.

He might still have good footy left in him. But those younger players can have teams built around them for the next decade. That makes them worth a lot more.

coolumsharkie

Referee
300k is not much for a veteran player at the end of his playing career, so I can see his point. Then there's a thing called reality, he is well past his best and struggling to compete at NRL level. (psst Benji take the money and run).

So what does he do? Whinges to the press saying he's worth more money. f**k me.

Wizardman

First Grade
Benji's ego and his inability to learn/change has totally f**ked his career. He (unbelievably) knocked back 750k from the Tigers despite very much struggling in his last year, was woeful in rugby union and knocked back 300k despite struggling at St George.
As I've said earlier, if Benji is truly serious about playing on, he needs to take unders and go to a club with a strong culture. The Storm would be absolutely ideal for him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'd laugh if a club turned around and offered him $300,001...

it's a tactic i've used in the past when buying real estate.. you see somewhere that says 'offers over $650,000'.. so the offer is $651,000, and then just laugh at the agent when they try and get you to offer more..

Valheru

Coach
On one hand it is delusion at its best.

On the other it is refreshing to see someone tell the truth and admit their decisions are all about the money instead of the usual "it's what's best for my family" or "fresh challenge" garbage.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
He could fit a similar role brett finch played at melbourne. Dont need to work any magic yourself, just catch and pass and occasionally put a kick in when cronk is under pressure. Can imagine bellyache on the screen in the box after he no looks it to vunivalu with the line open straight over his head into row 5

Surely

Post Whore
i'd laugh if a club turned around and offered him $300,001...

it's a tactic i've used in the past when buying real estate.. you see somewhere that says 'offers over $650,000'.. so the offer is $651,000, and then just laugh at the agent when they try and get you to offer more..

except that's allthey ever wanted, should have offered 620k ;)

Latest posts