What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Corona shutdowns on Future NRL expansion..

Hi All,

With the looming financial impacts the current COVID-19 pandemic will have on the NRL, and current clubs, what are our thoughts and opinions on how this may impact future expansion of the competition... ?

So many unknowns of course at this moment, which may become clearer in the coming weeks/months. If it's only a few weeks before normal transmission resumes then this may only be a speed bump.
But been thinking about today, if this Corona stuff draws out for a long time, months and potentially the year.... what happens to the NRL but for the purpose of this thread, what about expansion....

Whatever the length of the COVID-19 pandemic, I think the NRL will be ok, they will bleed for a while but no doubt survive. But some clubs could be at great risk. Even though broadcast rights make up a significant amount of revenue, with crowd lockouts indefinitely from Round 2 there is an endless list of areas this will effect to varying degrees including;
  • Gate Revenue
  • Membership
  • Merchandise
  • Sponsorship
  • Other??
I'm no expert on running a club (surprise!) and there could be a load more impact areas than this.
So;
  • Would the NRL batten down the hatches and look to repair/restore the existing clubs and competition, and cease expansion strategy indefinitely?
  • Will any/some existing clubs go bust?, and if so what clubs are at biggest risk?...
  • If a club is about to go bust, what will the NRL's position be … rescue/relocate/let it be/other?
  • Would this present an opportunity for an "acceptable" relocation of busted clubs into expanded areas (eg Perth etc)
  • How would a "new" expansion team (ie not relocated from existing) benefit the NRL within the next 5 years, and what new criteria might they need to meet for consideration?
Again, so many unknowns with everything in the world at the moment, but as for NRL expansion this could either be a catalyst to expand, or the draw-bridge being pulled up again while the castle rebuilds..

Interested in peoples thoughts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s an awful lot of ifs! More likely it will all have blown over in 6 weeks and like the Millenia bug we’ll all be going wtf was that about?

having said that this is the nrl so any excuse not to change and they’ll take it.

Pommy

Coach
That’s an awful lot of ifs! More likely it will all have blown over in 6 weeks and like the Millenia bug we’ll all be going wtf was that about?

having said that this is the nrl so any excuse not to change and they’ll take it.

I wish I had your optimism but I very much doubt it’s going to be the case.

Eelectrica

Referee

The Millenium bug didn't become a major issue because it was detected with enough time for it to be fixed before it could become a big issue.

Horse has bolted this time and putting the genie back in the bottle is gonna be difficult.

Expansion plans put on the backburner for now. I'd hope the NRL don't cut existing clubs over this. It's beyond there control.
Season tickets getting refunded, lost revenue from crowds and TV.

The titans had some big drawing games early with the Bronco's and Parra coming to town in the early rounds.

Perth is indeed the most isolated city in the world and this will never be more valuable for you people over there than right now.

And yes there are so many ifs...

Last week if someone told me the GP would get cancelled, NRL would play without crowds (if indeed it does proceed...), NBL finals similarly plus a number of sports tours cancelled I’d have thought it silly. So by that rationale there could be things that seem silly right now that will become reality soon.

like Pommy I hope you’re right and appreciate the optimism but the ships are on the horizon, and landed in the east coast. I hope the battle is won soon.

blue bags

First Grade
THE FUTURE of the NRL is brisbane BRISBNE brisbane OK , then a 2ND NZ club , then you will wake up ok, cause thats where the juniors are , take care of this business , the rest will take care of itself

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Could the NRL be sued by the TV networks if games are cancelled?
I wouldn’t think so. It’s a federal government directive to cancel all events over 500 people. If the NRL has to suspend games because of the virus it would come under some clause in the broadcast deal. Much like the “act of god” clause currently being brought up in the collective bargaining agreement.

blue bags

First Grade
I wouldn’t think so. It’s a federal government directive to cancel all events over 500 people. If the NRL has to suspend games because of the virus it would come under some clause in the broadcast deal. Much like the “act of god” clause currently being brought up in the collective bargaining agreement.
the plan is to keep playing games, in empty stadiums, games still be on TV , when the corolla virus gos away, stadiums reopens to the fans

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the clubs have requested for the $6million bail out fund to be spent it means there’s nothing left in the kitty if one of them gets into trouble in next two years. Nrl might get its relocations after all?

blue bags

First Grade
most important thing, is to keep playing, keep broadcasting games ,

delay expansion at the moment

axl rose

Bench
Again, so many unknowns with everything in the world at the moment, but as for NRL expansion this could either be a catalyst to expand,

Catalyst if the NRL goes under and another governing body takes over they can start from scratch. Short term pain but positioning the game for the next 100 years. Manly cant stay at Brookvale long term, either move to the CC or exit. Half the clubs have been run on the smell of an oily rag for decades. Union and AFL will probably be broke as well so it's not as though they are positioned to move in on leagues turf.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Catalyst if the NRL goes under and another governing body takes over they can start from scratch. Short term pain but positioning the game for the next 100 years. Manly cant stay at Brookvale long term, either move to the CC or exit. Half the clubs have been run on the smell of an oily rag for decades. Union and AFL will probably be broke as well so it's not as though they are positioned to move in on leagues turf.
NRL go;s broke, from corona virus, we need to start a fresh competition

4 sydney teams
4 brisbane
2 melbourne
perth
aderlaide
2 nz teams
north queenland
newcastle
canberra

and the 18th team would be ?

axl rose

Bench
NRL go;s broke, from corona virus, we need to start a fresh competition
2 nz teams

Not so Super Rugby cant even draw crowds in NZ and that's their national sport. I can't see anyone caring about another sports team in some backwater town in NZ. Still, they would finish ahead of the Warriors.

Pommy

Coach
Given the clubs have requested for the $6million bail out fund to be spent it means there’s nothing left in the kitty if one of them gets into trouble in next two years. Nrl might get its relocations after all?

there’s no point having a bail out fund if there’s no clubs remaining. That’s the reality at this point, there’s no point worrying about what’s going to happen in two years time. This is the end times (only slightly blown out of proportion)

blue bags

First Grade
Not so Super Rugby cant even draw crowds in NZ and that's their national sport. I can't see anyone caring about another sports team in some backwater town in NZ. Still, they would finish ahead of the Warriors.
2 teams in NZ , the juniors need a 2nd team

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well one would have to consider, the border implications that have always been ignored.

NZ has different laws.

This panicdemic, has shown the having a team from a different country means the NRL has less control over thier competiton.