What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Corona shutdowns on Future NRL expansion..

Its also lost 20% plus of its tv revenue so where he thinks the $13milion+ a year is coming from to fund it would be interesting to know. He’s only the third chairman I’ve heard say expansion is important and they are looking at it, maybe it will be third time lucky? Lol
Tightening the amount that's spent on head office will help. Greenberg was spending up to $500,000 a day on head office. That's $182,500,000 a year!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tightening the amount that's spent on head office will help. Greenberg was spending up to $500,000 a day on head office. That's $182,500,000 a year!

like I said On other thread he really wasn’t. That figure is totally made up. Nrl admin costs For 2019 were $20.3mill or $57k a day or less than 5% of nrl revenue. Good luck if you believe that is where big savings are.

taipan

Referee
Its also lost 20% plus of its tv revenue so where he thinks the $13milion+ a year is coming from to fund it would be interesting to know. He’s only the third chairman I’ve heard say expansion is important and they are looking at it, maybe it will be third time lucky? Lol

You are still living in a set of pre pandemic economics.Foxtel and the NRL need each other intakes like these,Whether you or I like it or no.Same applies to the fumbling mob.

I'm sure if he gets expansion up and running, you'll find another reason to complain.

like I said On other thread he really wasn’t. That figure is totally made up. Nrl admin costs For 2019 were $20.3mill or $57k a day or less than 5% of nrl revenue. Good luck if you believe that is where big savings are.
I am going on what Mike Colman wrote in a Daily Mail article.

"In the last financial year those costs totalled $181 million – just under $500,000 a day – and it is a fair bet that many of the administrative staff asked to take time off during the coronavirus shutdown will not be returning."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-deep-cracks-league-costing-500k-day-run.html

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am going on what Mike Colman wrote in a Daily Mail article.

"In the last financial year those costs totalled $181 million – just under $500,000 a day – and it is a fair bet that many of the administrative staff asked to take time off during the coronavirus shutdown will not be returning."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-deep-cracks-league-costing-500k-day-run.html

total fabrication. That figure was made up of
Nrl admin cost (this is the real amount the nrl is spending on nrlhq)
Money it spends in order to make money (digital, big event management, corporate sponsor management etc)
Integrity unit
Insurances
The money nrl spends running the top comp (refs, travel and accomodation for clubs etc)
Community and player welfare

The real admin cost of the nrl is $20.3mill which is very reasonable

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are still living in a set of pre pandemic economics.Foxtel and the NRL need each other intakes like these,Whether you or I like it or no.Same applies to the fumbling mob.

I'm sure if he gets expansion up and running, you'll find another reason to complain.

brisbane2 isnt expansion, it’s consolidation.
But if he gets a 17th club in the nrl in next 3 years I’ll be fcking amazed and will give him his dues. like said, have been hearing it since 2011, will believe it when I see it.

taipan

Referee
brisbane2 isnt expansion, it’s consolidation.
But if he gets a 17th club in the nrl in next 3 years I’ll be fcking amazed and will give him his dues. like said, have been hearing it since 2011, will believe it when I see it.

Another team is not expansion.What is it a shrinkage?

I'll be amazed in the next 5 minutes, you don't find something to whinge about.

total fabrication. That figure was made up of
Nrl admin cost (this is the real amount the nrl is spending on nrlhq)
Money it spends in order to make money (digital, big event management, corporate sponsor management etc)
Integrity unit
Insurances
The money nrl spends running the top comp (refs, travel and accomodation for clubs etc)
Community and player welfare

The real admin cost of the nrl is $20.3mill which is very reasonable
It doesn't cost $181,000,000 a year to run a sports league. They could do it for far less and save the rest for a rainy day or spend it on something that will have a lasting legacy, like grass roots. There are plenty of local clubs in need of new dressing sheds, scoreboards, offices, toilets and playing kits. Competitions in the country are struggling. Greenberg just squandered it on PR stunts to make himself look PC. If he didn't waste it then maybe Perth would have a team by now and the game would be more accessible in Vic schools.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn't cost $181,000,000 a year to run a sports league. They could do it for far less and save the rest for a rainy day or spend it on something that will have a lasting legacy, like grass roots. There are plenty of local clubs in need of new dressing sheds, scoreboards, offices, toilets and playing kits. Competitions in the country are struggling. Greenberg just squandered it on PR stunts to make himself look PC. If he didn't waste it then maybe Perth would have a team by now and the game would be more accessible in Vic schools.

lol I hope you are a business consultant or a ceo with that level of insight into how much it costs to run a business, without you actually knowing what the money is being spent on!
Like any business you spend some on delivering your product successfully, some on investing in future revenue opportunities , and if your doing well have some surplus for a rainy day or investments.
Nrl spends what it earns, always has, always will.
it has four man expenditure areas
1.nrl clubs
2. Grassroots
3. Revenue generation
4. Administration and putting on the games
You could argue it should send more in some areas than others but without knowing the integral details of its business how would you know?
Greenberg wanted to spend more on grassroots, $32mill a year more in fact., Sadly the chairman scuppered that and gave it to the nrl clubs. As for proper expansion, that will take a ceo and commission with a great deal of vision and confidence, something we haven’t had since 1990.

Last edited:
lol I hope you are a business consultant or a ceo with that level of insight into how much it costs to run a business, without you actually knowing what the money is being spent on!
Like any business you spend some on delivering your product successfully, some on investing in future revenue opportunities , and if your doing well have some surplus for a rainy day or investments.
Nrl spends what it earns, always has, always will.
it has four man expenditure areas
1.nrl clubs
2. Grassroots
3. Revenue generation
4. Administration and putting on the games
You could argue it should send more in some areas than others but without knowing the integral details of its business how would you know?
Greenberg wanted to spend more on grassroots, $32mill a year more in fact., Sadly the chairman scuppered that and gave it to the nrl clubs. As for proper expansion, that will take a ceo and commission with a great deal of vision and confidence, something we haven’t had since 1990.
Spending the money just because it's there is stupid unless it benefits the game. PVL made the game better by stopping ruck infringements and getting rid otf he costly two-ref system. He didn't need billions of dollars to make either decision.

Greenberg had all the money to play with but sat back and allowed Melbourne to stink up the ruck to gain an unfair advantage, continued giving Brisbane favourable turnarounds and squandered millions on silly campaigns that did nothing for the game. The bunker was a waste of money. I cannot believe they persevered with the 2 ref system for over a decade, or introduced it at all. It's taken 15 years to get the game back to where it was in 2005, when crowds were up because there was no niggle in the ruck and the game was a better spectacle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought we were talking about the way the nrl spends its money? now you’re talking about the nrl changing the rules to open up play and make the game more entertaining. How are the two connected?

I thought we were talking about the way the nrl spends its money? now you’re talking about the nrl changing the rules to open up play and make the game more entertaining. How are the two connected?
It shows a good leader doesn't need money to make the game better, but a shit one can squander riches the game has never seen before and make it worse.

PVL is the best leader we've ever had.