What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-form Ross still unsigned for 2012

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Putting the stress of getting a new contract behind him has paid dividends for powerhouse South Sydney front-rower Ben Ross, who is hoping to ride a stretch of good form right through to the NRL finals series.

Ross was a strong performer in Souths' 47-18 win over the Raiders at Canberra Stadium on Sunday, scoring his first try in almost three years in the process.

Unsigned for 2012, Ross admitted feeling the heat about shoring up his future but decided it was best to concentrate on playing footy instead.

And it has paid dividends.

"It was really tough up until a few weeks ago," he said.

"And then I thought 'Stuff it. I'm just going to play football and if I get something then I get something.'

"I really hope I do because I love my footy at the moment and you can see it out there. I love Souths. I love the boys at Souths. If I get a contract then I'm going to take it somewhere."

Ross is getting back to the kind of form that saw him play off the bench in six State of Origin matches for Queensland - something that seemed a lifetime away after he broke his neck playing for Cronulla in 2009.

While Souths threw him a lifeline to join the club, Ross eventually debuting after sitting out 2010, they are yet to commit for 2012.

But for now Ross is determined just to enjoy his side's late season charge and the company of his teammates.

"The forwards are going really well at the moment. As long as we do our job we've got the boys like Sut (John Sutton) and Merro (Nathan Merritt) to really do something with the ball," he said.

"We've always believed in each other and we're always having fun but at the moment we're taking it game by game.

"A lot of people treat it as a business. We're just a group of guys having a heap of fun, no expectations on us. We're just going hell for leather and it's paying off."

And while Merritt scored three tries against the Raiders, taking his tally to eight in two weeks, Ross was simply glad to bag his first for the season ensuring the 110kg forward wouldn't be seen running somewhere in South Sydney territory naked.

"No nudie run," he said.

"I'm pretty happy to get that try out of the way. The boys were starting to give it to me this week."

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Is Geddes retiring/signed for 2012?

Sadly, I'd prefer retiring given his injury rate.

I can see Luke Burgess being a direct replacement for Luke Stuart, and the Bunnies will have Asotasi back and maybe Sam will shift to prop.

Even if George is ready for the step up, I think Souths need to retain at least one of Ross or McPherson (who has done a fine job as a fill-in prop and can probably be relied upon to continue playing front row).

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Uh Geddes is signed for next year and is likely to play,i don't really wanna see Sammy shift to the Front row, Ross, Geddes, L.Burgess and Asotasi, and only if we really have to play Sam in the front row we play him there. :) but i agree with Geddes and his injury rate, hes a quality Prop when hes on the field, but when is he on the field. Hopefully 2012 is injury free for Sam Burgess and Scott Geddes.

Juniors
Is Geddes retiring/signed for 2012?

Sadly, I'd prefer retiring given his injury rate.

I can see Luke Burgess being a direct replacement for Luke Stuart, and the Bunnies will have Asotasi back and maybe Sam will shift to prop.

Even if George is ready for the step up, I think Souths need to retain at least one of Ross or McPherson (who has done a fine job as a fill-in prop and can probably be relied upon to continue playing front row).

I AGREE NEED TO KEEP ROSS CAN TURN OUT TO BE ANOTHER LUKE STUART.fOR McPHERSON is been released to play in Dart land sorry to see him go.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Sammy Burgess Needs to go to Prop. Thats where his rep was. The game he played against the Dogs where he broke his ankle, he played phenomenal at Prop. Madge has some real decision to make....

Galeforce

Bench
Ross indicated he was negotiating with Souths , and i recall a comment in the forum appears that the sticking point is that Ross wants a 3 year deal and Souths were still offering 1-2 year deal. this makes sense to me. I do now prefer Ross to Shannon and Roy and Geddes. Ross plays a classic frontrower game , like Luke Burgess . Both can bend the line.If Roy can get a better contract in England and is interested in going , i would be prefer to keep Ross and let Roy go , also will help our cap position.

Zigwaa

Bench
I keep saying but if Ross wanted to stay he should have taken up the option for another year by the deadline.

We'd be mad to offer him a 3 year deal. The bloke is in his first season back from 2 years out with a broken neck. He's missed entire seasons before the neck injury as well.

Souths are taking the right stance with Ross. Offer him a one year deal and no more given his history of injury.

I keep saying but if Ross wanted to stay he should have taken up the option for another year by the deadline.

We'd be mad to offer him a 3 year deal. The bloke is in his first season back from 2 years out with a broken neck. He's missed entire seasons before the neck injury as well.

Souths are taking the right stance with Ross. Offer him a one year deal and no more given his history of injury.

Agreed,I would give him a 1yr deal with a option for the 2nd year in our favour.

hindyrabbit

Juniors
I would look at giving him a 1 year deal with an option of another 2 if he plays a certain amount of games with his injury history. this is fair as we have invested plenty of time and money so we should show the love