What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In praise of The Greatest

imported_Jackal

Juniors
Actually i just realised that the page is dated <span>Tuesday, 22 January, 2002 so it's an older article than I thought. I just found it whilst surfing and quite enjoyed it.
</span>
<span>:)

</SPAN>

Javaman

Juniors
Ali told the world so often that he was the greatest, that many fell for the publicity stunt and labled him just that. Ali was the greatest in his mind and no other place in my opinion. Ali only cared for himself and nobody else. Don't let stories of the past or media garbage fool you. Watch some documentaries and read some books on him and you'll see my point of view.
Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest of all time, but because he never fought in the heavyweight division (the glamour division) he is almost always neglected.
Ali was rude, arrogant and incredibly obnoxious throughout his career, inside and outside the square. Just ask the great Joe Frazier, a far better boxer than Ali could ever be in every way. To this day, he (Ali)is yet to apologise for the public humiliation that he threw atFrazier more time than one cares to remember.
I'm not about to argue this point on this discussion, but sometime in the future when the topic resurfaces I'll confront anyone here about my view. I noticed that there a lot of knowledged boxing fans here, from reading past discussions, so I'll be ready when the time approaches.

P

pepe

it was quite a while ago that i read angelo dundee'saoutobiography and he could'nt speak more highly of the man ali,the great man made joe frazier alot of money so he should'nt be complaining.

pepe

O

ozbash

hey javaman. how old are you ?
were you around when cassius clay was boxing ?

El Duque

Bench
I agree with you there Javaman.

I haven't seen Ali but I heard they decided not to put in all the shit that Ali said about Frazier(a guy who had helped out Ali)and make him look like a 'good guy'.

I think Ali did apologise(belatedly).Here's a story where it says he did.

Javaman

Juniors
I'm 28 ozbash. I wasn't around when Clay was the flavour of the month, but for many years like almost everyone else, I fell for "the greatest' crap that the media dished our way. It's only in the last couple of years that I've studied and seen the other side of Ali, and though it wasn't all bad, the bad was atrocious.

I don't know El Duque. It's only the other week that I watched a documentary on the great man himself Joe Frazier. I was appauled and disgusted at what Ali put this great champion through in their encounters. He would continously ridicule this man as soon as he was in the medias limelight like the show pony he was. But behind closed doors, I learnt that Frazier helped Ali out both financially and emotionally more than once, yet Ali would practically slap him in the face with his insults and childish carrying ons as soon as they were apartaround the public. From the gorilla on his shoulder wherever he went before the Manilla fight, to the racial and insulting Uncle Tom remark,to various verbal insults in a very personal nature throughout there career. Ali didn't know when to not cross the line. He now claims it was all a means of promoting himself and advertising. Well many other fighters promoted themselves throughout their careers but never resorted to Ali's immature ways.I'm just upset that the two never met in a street fight. Anyone with any boxing sense will tell you that Frazier would kick the shit out of Ali 10 times out of 10 fightsas he was an excellent brawler.
Don't let the apology bullshit convince you that it ever happened mate. Frazier on the documentary said himself that to this day, Ali never apologised to him face-to-face. He said he sent many apologies to Ali via many different sources (once through Joe Frazier Jnr) but all Joe ever wanted was an apology from Ali to his face. He never wanted it in a public showing or anything like that. Just man to man. If Ali was genuinely sorry about his remarks, he would have taken up Joe's gentlemanly offer.
Sugar Ray was one of the finest and most brilliant self promoters ever. Yet he would phsyc out his opponents with mental manipulation rather than Ali's crap. I remember Ali said once that Sugar Ray was the best he had ever seen and he tried hard to copy Sugar Ray's way in and out of the ring. Funny how Sugar Ray will never be remembered as the loud mouth lout that ali was.
Ali was not the greatest fighter of all time. He was the greatest show off of all time. The fact that he was a heavyweight played into his hands sweetly.Hardly a prize to be proud of in particular when he made plenty of enemies along the way. And for the record, his fight record is nothing to hold in high praise either. If that was the case Marciano makes him look pretty average.

V

Vertigo

Good post Javaman.
Your views are certainly interesting and based on good facts. Well done.
Vertigo.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Welcome Javaman. It's great to have a boxing fan who calls it the way it is among us. Very well spoken mate. But I must warn you early onmate, there's some Ali puppets here.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Theres no doubt that Ali is now an American icon. With that the history is being re-written...perhaps to save face for both sides. Firstly to save face for Ali and hismassive egoandalso to save face for theAmericans whotried their bestto destroy what they saw as a loud mouthed black man.
Now there have been movies, books, TV shows, documentaries all saying what a champion he was.

I saw something on the box a few years ago whichwas a tribute to a number ofex-heavy weight champsAli, Foreman and Frazier were there. Ali was fairly incoherant by then and at times had trouble getting his words out. The others rallied around him and backed him up, doing their level best to help him through the interview. Frazier was trying harder than anyone to make sure that Ali didnt falter... and I have to say that they suceeded in propping Ali up.
It was clear to me thatFrazier and Aliwere nowold friends.

This is where I have no idea but it appeared to me that this was arealtionship that the two men had developed over time. I'd even speculate that Frazier, being the true champion he was, had no qualms about supporting Ali who was once again in the limelight.

P

pepe

i remember that documentry willow,it was riveting television with the three of them talking about there past bouts,it's funny the way foreman was portrayed back in his younger days to what he is today.

being a young 37 i only caught the latter stages of ali's career,the most vivid image i have of him is reclaiming the title from leon spinks in my grade 5 class,mrs jones must have been a boxing fan as it sure beat maths and if memory serves me corrctly channel 0 did the coverage.

the 70's was a golden era for heavyweight boxing and ali came out top so it would be a brave man to say he was'nt the greatest of all time in that division.

pepe

Atilla

Juniors
Javaman is a good close friend of mine who has strong opinions about Ali. Whilst I don't agree with everything he says about the former great heavyweight champion, I do understand the road he's comming from with many of his opinions which are also based on fact. Me and him have had the Ali discussion and debate on more times than I can remember, and whilst we both present opinions based on facts about the topic,alot of it is personal opinion. I think the totalworld of Ali and what he did for the sport in and out of the ring, but I do know he rubbed alot of people in all areas of the sportsthe wrong way during his great yet attention seekingcareer. But what he did for the sport of boxing, will never again be equalled by anyone...at leastduring my era.
I've also seen the Frazier documantary that Javaman's talking aboutand he pretty much describes it the way it happened. I'm also surprised to hear of an appology because to this day I never thought it happened between the two men. Not on a personal nature like Frazier always requested. Ali was always mean to Frazier in public and around the television cameras, but down in his good heart, I honestly believed he had a soft spot for the man. In particular after the Thriller in Manila. Ali was as much relieved as anyone, that Fraziers corner called a halt to the bout when they did, because he has said publicly in the past that if Fraziers corner hadn't called a halt to the 'fatefull bloodbath' when they did, he wasn't sure if he would come out the next round...not because he didn't want to, but he said he had no petrol left in the empty tank. After that fight, Ali gained more respect for Frazierthan any other fighter he fought against throughout his career as he has said publicly many times.
I respect anyones rights to voice their opinions (whether it be good or bad)on Ali or any other boxer. But I also respect my right to back Ali and any other boxer copping flack. That's boxing.
I'm glad you're on board Aaron.
cheers all - Atilla

O

ozbash

Ali had to walk twice as far as white boxers to get to the same place.
of course he had an ego, if he hadnt ,he would never had got to where he did.
he was black,the only reason he got shots at the title is because white,middle class redneck americans had to hate him.
ali was a great boxer, but his manager was a very clever man.
ali deserves every accolade he gets.....

B

bender

I can remember seeing a live interview with Ali, Frazier and Foreman when they were promoting there video which had just released footage of the Rumble in the Jungle.

I cant remember which one said it but they all agreed that it was funny how they were always the best of friends yet they played the media for fools in order to get money and they had people thinking that they hated each other when in reality they didnt. Joe was directly questioned about the Uncle Tom incident and other jibes and he said that he could not care less about them and it was all just a publicity stunt.

As to the question of who was the greatest, clearly Ali stands tall. He had his faults, unconvential techniqueand tended to undertrain and get lazy, even lose occassional fights, but he was IMO the greatest. No heavyweight had anywhere near the speed of Ali, None could take a punch like he could, and none had the ring psychology that he had.

On Paper Marciano had a good record but he was not really tested like Ali was. Marciano was smaller than Ali and had better technique and he is IMO the only heavyweightboxer who could lay claim to being better than Ali.If the two fought, I would expect Ali to take the match lightly and Rocky might even win the first fight on points, but once Ali trained for the second he would outclass Rocky. The thing about Rocky is that he was not as strong or fast as Ali, he was just a solid, honest hardworker. Sure he had a great heart but no bigger than Ali's. The point Alionce made about Joe Louis also rings true with Rocky. How canRocky, who weighs less than Ali (and therefore probably cannot hit as hard) beat Ali the fastest boxer in history.

The Ali mystique isn't really about the boxing, although it couldn't have happened without the boxing.
Ali was declaring himself the best in the world, but mostly he was declaring himself to be a proud black man.
Ali was the most prominant black man during the civil rights era. He was even more prominant than Martin Luthur King and Malcolm X, although for different reasons..
It isn't really possible to compare boxers from different eras and it's actually not important to rate Ali as a boxer. The whole Ali thing was not about who could or couldn't beat who, it was about one black man representing his race by declaring himself to be proud about who he was and what he could do.
Ali was way over the top, but that is how the message was put over.
Mike Tyson uses hype and showmanship to make money. Ali used the same hype and showmanship to put across the idea that a black man could declare himself the greatest, and get right in the face of anyone who didn't like the idea.
People talk about Ali as a great human being along with Ghandi and Mandela. The people who make those comparisions wouldn't know a boxing glove from a ham sandwich, because they are not looking at what he did for boxing, but what he did for race relations. Forget about Ali as a boxer, it would hardly matter if he couldn't beat a girl scout in a fair fight, because it wasn't about him being the greatest fighter, it was about him being a social phenomena

C

CanadianSteve

From "The Greatest: My Own Story", Ali's autobiography with ghost-writer Richard Durham:
(during the Foreman fight in Zaire) - " As I watch (Foreman) pull himself back in the ring, I suddenly think of Joe Frazier. Have i been treating George as though he's another Frazier? If you knock Frazier down, he'll get up almost before he hits the canvas and come back at you. His heart is a lion.... Whatever the price he'll pay it." He went on to say that though Foreman was a fearsome fighter, he didn't have the heart and courage of Frazier.
Ali clearly respected Joe as a fighter. He also beat him 2 of 3 fights, fights that were classics but very damaging to both men. In the leadup to #3 in Manila Ali did say things that hurt Frazier's feelings and which Joe apparently still holds against him. I think Ali probably got carried away with his pre-fight buildup and maybe didn't realize he went too far with the gorilla comments, etc.
It's hard to separate Ali the personality from the fighter, but you can't take away from his great achievements in the ring. He fought every great fighter of 2 eras (before and after his "exile") and beat most of them. I saw many of his fights and at his peak he WAS the greatest. Not because of any hype, but because of what he actually did in the ring. Unfortunately he fought too long, which caused him to lose some later fights to lesser boxers, but more importantly cost him his health

Javaman

Juniors
I cant remember which one said it but they all agreed that it was funny how they were always the best of friends yet they played the media for fools in order to get money and they had people thinking that they hated each other when in reality they didnt. Joe was directly questioned about the Uncle Tom incident and other jibes and he said that he could not care less about them and it was all just a publicity stunt.
Did you know that shortly after Joe Frazier picked Ali up in his limosine and gave him money, because he was next to broke when he refused to join the US military and no promoter or governing body wanted anything to do with him because of the traitor tag, when Frazier dropped Ali off he started mouthing off at him in public and media view to ridicule him?Well afew days after that incident, whilst Frazier was stillshocked and hurtat Ali's actions after he had just helped him out financially when Ali was in desperate times, though it was never publicly known, Frazier was so fed up and humiliated with Ali's actions that he went to Ali's home in the hope of confronting him, but Ali was too frightened to step outside. Ali had next to no fighting skills out side the ring. Frazier was the epitome of a brawler.The media was never contacted because Frazier was fed up with Ali's bullshit antics that he just wanted to sort it out the old school way. I'd hardly call that a publicity stunt, seeing very few people then and still now know of the incident ever taking place.
Did you know that George Foreman was so outraged and hurt by Ali's attempts to get the natives from Zaire to turn against him with the 'Ali kill him!' (which he succeeded in doing) chants that he was close to calling off the bout? Foreman couldn't figure out how Ali was portraying him as the outcast (in racial terms) when the irony was, that they were the same skin colour.Infact,Foreman sent a number ofprivate messages to Ali through his camp that he was more than happy to sort matters out between him and Ali before the actual fight, because he was sick and tired of Ali's antics and racial slurs done in a subtle manner. Foreman forwarded those messages to Ali's camp in private because he didn't want the media involved. He just wanted to get it over and done with the old fashion way. Do you think Ali took up the offer? Like the coward he was outside the ring..NO! It was only after promoter Don King and President Mobutu Sese Seko Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga (that's his name -no joke)begged Foreman to forget the verbal stuff that Ali was dribblingand take his anger into the ring that George decided to go ahead with it.I'd hardly call that a publicity stunt also,seeing very few people then and still now know of the incident ever taking place.
Ali's greatest asset was his ability to use his torso, almost in an elastic band manner in terms of his range of motion in his spinal cord, to avoid punches from the very best boxers of his time. When that rarely didn't work, he would resort to holding the back of the head of his opponents (illegaly)and bringing them in close to him in the hope of not getting hit. But the great fighters like Frazier knew he was vulnerable up close and would belt body shots into him all day long.
It's become a recent trend to subscribe to Ali's self-made claim of being the "Greatest", much out of nostalgia or even pity for the shell of Ali we see now, then of sicerity and genuineness. But, the truth is he was often in trouble against smaller fighters. Ali in his prime was almost knocked out by Henry Cooper, who was at best a club fighter.Henry Cooper weighed only 185 pounds and yet dropped him with a left hook. Bob Foster, a very good fighter, was 30 years old and only 180 pounds verses Ali's 221 pounds yet lasted 7 rounds and hurt Ali with a cut that required five stitches. Even though Ali knocked Foster down 7 times, it still required all those knock downs for him to beat the much smaller man.
As for those who think Marciano's record and performance in the ring was questionable and not credible, let me answer that by having some of the greatest names in boxing history give their opinions on the 'Rock' on my behalf--
"What's so often forgotten is that Marciano was truely a great fighter. It was his will to win that made him unbeatable." Archie Moore
"I had a bad weakness I kept hid throughout my career. I didn't like to be crowded, and Marciano always crowded his opponents. That's why I say I could <u>never</u> have beaten him."
Joe Louis, May, 1990 issue of Boxing Illustrated
"Naturally, the first thought that comes to mind would have to be Muhammad Ali. Ali is more my time. But before my time, it would have to be Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano." Marvin Hagler when asked to name the greatest fighter of all time.
"Just look at Rocky Marciano's record. Nobody beat him. You can't take that from him." George Foreman on why he placed Marciano behind Louis as second greatest heavyweight of all time.
"Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis." Joe Frazier
"Well, let’s face it. He never got licked. Undefeated heavyweight champion of the world. I mean, how much better can you do than that?"
"Marciano is the most underrated heavyweight of all time. He had so much more than they ever gave him credit for. He was capable of getting those bigger, heavier guys and destroying them." Angelo Dundee.
"This man was one of the greatest champions ever. He refused to accept defeat. And nobody beat him." Sonny Liston.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that Marciano was the greatest heavyweight of all time in my opinion. My way of thinking is exactly the same as Joe Frazier's comments above.

C

CanadianSteve

I just read the story El Duque put a link to in post #6. It is a brilliant column by the great American writer David Halberstam (who wrote an excellent book on Michael Jordan a few years ago, BTW). It explains the whole Ali mystique for people of that generation, and also gives a good summary of the Joe Frazier situation including the recent apology by Ali. Read that Javaman and you'll see why Ali was the Greatest, even if you (understandably) don't like his treatment of Frazier.

C

CanadianSteve

"Ali's greatest asset was his ability to use his torso, almost in an elastic band manner in terms of his range of motion in his spinal cord, to avoid punches from the very best boxers of his time. When that rarely didn't work, he would resort to holding the back of the head of his opponents (illegaly) and bringing them in close to him in the hope of not getting hit. But the great fighters like Frazier knew he was vulnerable up close and would belt body shots into him all day long." - Javaman
Ali had a few other assets besides his leaning back as employed against Foreman, the rope-a-dope. Such as the fastest hands and best footwork of any heavyweight, in his first incarnation. He was the only heavyweight to dance like a middleweight on his toes for a whole fight. Then after his 3 year exile, he showed his greatness by adapting to his older age by becoming a different type of fighter. He could box at close range and still avoid punches. He also showed he could take a punch, which was a criticism in his younger days when no one could reach him. Unfortunately he eventually took too many punches.
All the nonsense about holding the back of opponents' heads and not doing well against lighter fighters means nothing. The comments about him not being a street fighter are stupid. He was unbeaten before 1967, he beat Joe 2 out of 3 after he came back, he beat Foreman when no one else could (including Frazier), and like his personality or not, he was a great, great boxer who had a huge impact on his sport