What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In praise of The Greatest

C

CanadianSteve

As I write this I am watching one of those ESPN Classic programmes on boxing, replayed on the Canadian sports network TSN. It is a program called The Stylists, part 2 of a series. Part 1 apparently was called the Punchers, both about heavyweights. Later episodes were about the lighter weight classes. The series looked to have been produced in the 70's.
There were some interesting clips of old Jack Johnson fights, showing him dominate Tommy Burns and other smaller men. It also showed parts of the Tunney-Dempsey fight with the "long count".
In a 1947(?) fight between Jersey Joe Walcott and Joe Louis, Walcott knocked Louis down twice. At the end of the 15th, Louis started to leave the ring assuming he'd lost. But he won a split decision, as the camera showed 2 of Walcott's cornermen holding their heads in disbelief. Then they showed some of a Walcott vs. Ezzard Charles title match 4 years later, where Walcott knocked out Charles with an impressive punch.
The program then showed parts of. 3 Ali fights.(I assume they skipped the Marciano era because he was in the Punchers program which I didn't see.) It showed Ali winning the title from Liston, then in fights with Cleveland Big Cat Williams and Zora Folley, all in the 1960's before his 3 year layoff. My bias toward Ali is known here, but it really did strike me how much bigger, faster and better he looked than the guys in his bouts, as well as Walcott and Charles who were shown just before. It was like watching a great leap forward in boxing, kind of like seeing a young Michael Jordan right after watching players from the 50's in the NBA

Why don't we get these sports shows that Vertigo and Canadian Steve mention, here in Sydney-Australia? Or do we? I have Optus and I certainly don't see it.It's just not right if you ask me.

V

Vertigo

That last deletion was mine Warlock. I apologise. I pasted the new thread I started here first to see what it would look like, before posting it as a new topicdiscussion. I cleaned up many foreign texts it contained first, but the page still came out with a width I couldn't avoid.
I apologise once again.
Vertigo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fair go Warlock, I'd thought by now that you'd know that you're in a different type of forum now.
I can assure you that no one is going around deleting posts. If a post is deleted is almost always done by the author who originally made the post.

Believe me, if a post has been been deleted by a manager, you'd hear about it.

Having said that, thanks very much for reminding us all how important this is.

C

CanadianSteve

Warlock: Big Cat Williams looked almost as big as Ali and seemed very strong and fit. In the few clips I saw Ali had him introuble and was too fast for him. But I do seem to recall the fight was I was younger, and Williams gave Ali a good fight. I also remember reading about a scar he had on his stomach, I believe from a knife fight when he was younger. I think he was a tough guy from a poor background who never quite made it big in boxing. Maybe some of the boxing nuts here could look up his career record or point us to a website with info on Williams
I don't get all the ESPN Classic programs that Vertigo mentioned because I don't have digital cable or a satellite dish. The Canadian network TSN does show some programs from ESPN, like the boxing program I referred to above

Was Williams the African-Americanfighter with the dread-locks and the muscular-athletic physique? I think I've seen him in a documentary or the like in the past. If it is him, he certainly could hit andI distinctivelyremember he attacked Ali's kidney region all night. Ali did seem hurt. I may have the wrong guy of course.

Raidpatch

Latest posts