What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In praise of The Greatest

El Duque

Bench
Javaman, I don't think anyone can produce facts. Only a few people would've ever known as when the alleged loss happened he was a nobody.

Javaman

Juniors
Perhaps it was a poor choice of words from my behalf, poster El Duque, when I typed facts. Perhaps not.
But you were partially correct in post reply numbers 259 and 261 on the Rocky Marciano case. I'll just further on your comments.
I have a number of boxing related articles in my Word programes. I've been collecting them for years now.Whenever I read an article that I findworthy of copying, I'll do so into my files rather than saving the address into my favourites. The article below is one such type. Because of the way I elect to save them, the email address where it originated from escapes me as I don't record them. I probably should.It was written sometime late last year. I think from memory it may have been from the Maxboxing web page.
I think Infuzer and others will find it squashes the rumours that Rocky Marciano never went through his professional career undefeated.
Did Rocky Marciano Lose a Pro Fight Under Another Name?
By B. R. Bearden
A rumor I've seen come up before, and most recently on Boxing Chat Forums, is that Rocky Marciano, the only heavyweight champion to retire undefeated, actually lost an early pro fight under the name of Rocky Mack. The legend builders covered up this obscure match, so the story always goes, in order to preserve the Rock with a perfect 49-0 record. How they had the foresight to gloss over this loss early in his career before it was known by anyone that he'd go undefeated, much less become heavyweight champion, is never discussed. However, like all good legends, there is a basis in fact. It is true that Rocky fought one pro fight as Rocky Mack. It's even true that he returned to the amateur ranks after the single pro fight. What's not true is that he lost as Rocky Mack. He did, however, lose after his first pro fight. In fact, he lost twice. Here's the true story of the early days of the fighter who would become a legend: While home on furlough from the Army in April, 1946, Rocky learned of a local fight club offering money for amateur bouts. A friend of his talked him into giving it a shot and for $30 he signed up. He was assured he'd be put in with someone of his level of experience, but the night of the amateur boxing show he was informed the only heavyweight available for him to fight was Henry Lester. While this was Rocky's first fight, Lester was very experienced, having been a Golden Gloves Champion three years in a row and runner-up in the New England Amateur Championships in 1945. Shrugging off the one-sided nature of the bout, Rocky elected to fight anyway. Not only was Marciano not a trained boxer, he was also smoking heavily and much overweight. The mismatch showed a slow, bloated, Rocky wheezing his way around the ring, trying to land his wild punches against a polished fighter. Driven against the ropes, completely done in, Rocky lifted a knee in protection as Lester pummeled him. He caught Lester in the stomach, resulting in a disqualification. A knee to the belly doesn't sound bad enough to some folk, so it was reported that he'd kneed Lester in the groin. (Untrue, as Lester's son himself told me the knee was to the stomach). Though a humiliating loss for the young Italian-American, Rocky learned a valuable lesson. As he told his younger brother, "I learned something from this fight. if I ever get into the ring again, you can bet I won't be out of condition." After his furlough ended, Marciano decided to try this boxing thing out again. He signed up for the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Championship Tournament in Portland, Oregon in August, 1946. Rocky knocked out his first opponent, got a bye on the second fight, and knocked out his third opponent. The men scheduled to face him in his 4th and 5th fights refused to fight the wild, powerful brawler, putting Rocky into the finals. Unknown to them, Marciano had severely dislocated a knuckle in his left hand. Refusing to drop out of the tournament, Rocky stepped into the ring to face the other top fighter of the event, Joe DeAngelis, who won by decision. Rocky spent six week in the hospital, his hand in traction, dispelling any doubts that he was only fighting DeAngelis one handed. It was his second loss as an amateur. When he got out of the Army the following year, Rocky took a local fight to make a few bucks. This time it would count as a pro fight, and be reported in the Brockton papers. His mother had forbid him to fight, so to keep her from finding out, Marciano signed up as Rocky Mack. His opponent was Lee Eperson and in the third round Eperson became the first of 43 KO victims for the Brockton Blockbuster. The date was March 17th, 1947. (He wasn't yet Rocky Marciano. That name would come about when he signed with Al Weil in 1948, who found his family name of Marchegiano too hard to pronounce) Finding the pay low for the effort involved, Rocky decided to try his hand at another sport before committing to boxing. Marciano and a couple of friends went down to North Carolina for a tryout with the Chicago Cub's farm team. During the tryouts he threw out his arm and was cut, even though he'd shown noticeable ability at hitting the long ball. Frustrated at his failed baseball bid, Marciano entered the Golden Gloves Tournament in Lowell, Massachusetts, in January, 1948. He scored 3 KO's in a row. The 3rd was against a good fighter named Charlie Mortimer who had a record of 12-0, and two first round KO's of his own in the tournament before facing Rocky. After his strong showing in the New England Golden Gloves Rocky was sent to New York as the New England representative for the Golden Gloves All-East Coast Championships. This was in March, 1948. His first fight was against a very good fighter named Coley Wallace, who had a record of 17-0 with 17 KO's. Rocky was the aggressor throughout the fight and landed all the punishing blows, but the judges announced Wallace as the winner. The fans booed and threw bottles and programs into the ring. Rocky would always say he was cheated in this fight, and would determine to take the matter out of the hands of judges by knocking out future opponents. Also in 1948 Rocky lost an amateur fight to a six-foot-plus heavyweight named Bob Girard. Again Rocky's hand had been injured in an earlier fight and again he fought one handed. Girard was able to outbox the brawler and win a decision. He was modest about his victory over the future heavyweight champion: "How do you think I beat Rocky? I beat him because it was three rounds. There were a hundred guys who might have stayed three rounds with The Rock. But no man in the world was gonna beat Rocky in fifteen rounds; not Dempsey, not Ali, not anybody. I knew he was going to be champ. I don't think anybody could hurt Rocky. Every time he hit you, you saw a flash of light. You either grabbed him or you moved back, because if he hits you twice you're gone." It was Rocky's 4th loss as an amateur, and the last time he would ever lose a fight in his life. Later in 1948 Rocky knocked out Joe Sidlaskis in one round, then went into the AAU Olympic tryouts in Boston. In his first bout Rocky knocked out Fred Fischera, but in doing so again damaged his knuckle. Still unwilling to quit for any reason he insisted on fighting his next fight, telling his friend and handler, Allie Columbo, to leave the bandages on between fights. He knew his hand would swell too much to get into the gloves if the removed the bandages. Fighting right handed only, Rocky hammered his opponent, George McGinnis. He knocked McGinnis down twice in the third round and took the AAU Heavyweight Championship. But, any hopes of going on to the Olympics were shattered when Rocky's hand was examined by a doctor after the fight. Not only was the knuckle on his thumb out of place, but the thumb itself was broken. By the time it healed, the Olympic team was already chosen and Marciano missed a chance to become the first Gold Medalist to become heavyweight champion. Marciano's amateur career was a haphazard affair with no professional guidance. He didn't have a gym to train in, nor anyone to train him other than his childhood friend Allie Columbo. In fact, he didn't have a professional trainer until his 5th pro fight, when Charlie Goldman was assigned to train him under the management of Al Weil. He simply signed up to fight in major tournaments and did surprising well against men who were fighting very often as amateurs. He had 12 fights and lost 4, two because of hand injuries, once for disqualification, and one on a questionable decision. Long after he became famous as heavyweight champion, fight fans from the New England area confused some of his amateur losses with his pro fights, going so far as to insist that he'd been beaten under the name of Rocky Mack. The confusion is understandable, considering how he mixed in that single pro fight under the name of Mack with his amateur fights. But the record is clear on who he fought as Rocky Mack and who won the fight. Nat Fleischer investigated the fight record of Marciano and had no doubt that all his pro fights were on record and all were victories. Likewise, the losses he suffered as an amateur were all in sanctioned amateur tournaments, dispelling any suspicion that they were really pro fights. Only a couple years ago Ring magazine did an article about Marciano with some of the men he fought, including Coley Wallace, who made clear again that their match was an amateur bout. Finally, here is what I've been able to piece together of Marciano's amateur record: 1. April 15, 1946 Henry Lester DQ AAU Championship Tournament
Portland, Oregon August, 1946 2. unknown KO 1
3. unknown KO 1
4. Joe DeAngelis L 3 August 23, 1946 Golden Gloves Tournament
Lowell, Massachusetts January 1948 5 unknown KO 1
6 unknown KO 1
7 Charlie Mortimer KO 1 Golden Gloves All-East Coast Championships
New York, New York March 1948 8. Coley Wallace L 3 March 1948 9. Bob Girard L 3
10. Joe Sidlaskis KO 1 AAU Olympic tryouts in Boston
11. Fred Fischera KO
12. George McGinnis W 3

Javaman

Juniors
Eastside Boxing has a habit of linking to a number of other boxing pages, poster El Duque. They find good articles from other boxing pages and paste it onto their main page. Many people think and give credit to Eastside Boxing, but in actual fact they do little more than copy-paste the stories they present.Not all the time, but quite often.As an avid boxing fan, I'm sure you'd be aware of that.
I visit there page at times, but like to track the source of the article that they place on their pages down to where they originated from.
I'm almost certainI didn't get it from there, butI may be mistaking.
Neverthe less, thanks for the link to the story.
Javaman gratefull.

Javaman

Juniors
I know what you mean.
They seem to have gathered all the Klitschko fans on the internet and placed them into one room and let them loose. I don't know how they did that, but it certainly turned me off the brothers somewhat.
I see of late their forums have ceased entry to those who are not members. Probably for the better.I remember when you could view the boards as an interested boxing fan. No longer. Fortunately.
Stopping the influx of further Klisschko fans perhaps? Perhaps.
Good night - Javaman
emmoon.gif

Infuzer

Juniors
Thanks for that guys (I'm guessing you allare...right?)
I nowhave the neccesary artillary should the topic (or rumour) surface among friends again.
I appreciate the effort.

El Duque

Bench
Influzer, I don't think anyone can actually prove they're right, but unless you can find someone with evidence that proves without a doubt that they covered up a loss it's safe to say he never lost as a pro.

He's not the only champion to retire undefeated though. Another undefeated champ retired recently.

V

Vertigo

He's not the only champion to retire undefeated though. Another undefeated champ retired recently.
What does that mean ED?
V.

B

bender

Vertigo, Rocky Marciano isnt the only boxer to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion. The lengendary James J Jeffries was the first boxer to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion.

Javaman

Juniors
Vertigo, Rocky Marciano isnt the only boxer to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion.The lengendary James J Jeffries was the first boxer to retire as undefeated heavyweight champion.

I've already addreseed this controversial belief many have. Some claim that Jeffries was the first boxer in any weight division to retire as an undefeated champion. I don't agree. It's not officially recognised by any organization or governing bodies. And rightfully so.
You can read my comments made to poster bender a while back on this thread on reply number 62 and further in reply number68when I replied to poster bender, as to why I believe James J. Jeffries should not be recognized with this remarkable achievement. I respect those who differ in their opinions with me on this (or any other)topic, as poster bender did in a gentlemanly fashion, and I'm more than open for a further debate on the subject should anyone wish to resurface it.
I'll check the boards as often as my limited time schedule at presentables me to.
Javaman.

El Duque

Bench
The second reason is Jeffries decided to make a comeback. The International Boxing Hall Of Fame (among other organizations) does not recognize him as the first fighter to retire undefeated because of his comeback loss to Johnson

On the IBHOF sitethe first paragraph on Jeffries says

"One of the finest heavyweights in history, James J. Jeffries retired undefeated but, six years later, was coaxed into an ill-fated comeback fight with Jack Johnson."

Javaman

Juniors
The important word here poster ElDuque is "first"
{ The second reason is Jeffries decided to make a comeback. The International Boxing Hall Of Fame (among other organizations) does not recognize him as the <u>first </u>fighter to retire undefeated because of his comeback loss to Johnson

On the IBHOF sitethe first paragraph on Jeffries says

"One of the finest heavyweights in history, James J. Jeffries retired undefeated but, six years later, was coaxed into an ill-fated comeback fight with Jack Johnson." }
-------------------
Istated inmy bold reply that that you posted above,thatthe IBHOFdoes not recognize Jeffries as the "first" fighter to retire undefeated due to his comeback. Your quotation from the IBHOF (to some subtle degree) backs up my claim. They say he retired undefeated but never mention him as being the first.
Now let me quote to you word-4-wordfrom the book: The Boxing Registery - International Hall Of Fame Official Record Book / By James B. Roberts and Alexander G. Skutt - Second Edition Copyright ©1999 McBooks Press - on what they say about Rocky Marciano:
Rocky Marciano fought 49 times as a professional and never lost once. To date, he is thefirst and onlyheavyweight champion of the world to retire undefeated.
But surpisingly, the IBHOF website, though, states this :
TO DEFINE Rocky Marciano's career, one only needs to know: 49-0. That is it. Forty-nine fights, forty-nine wins. Marciano is the only world champion to complete his career undefeated.
I'm actually surprised there is a difference between the two sources,given they arean identical source, just appear on different places.

Javaman.

Infuzer

Juniors
I just read the supplied attachments to past comments made on the Marciano and Jeffries debate. You make some fair comments Javaman but I'm going with Jeffries here.
He was still the first to close camp undefeated. My opinion only of course.