What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the end it's the NRL who have cheated the Storm!

Loudstrat

Coach
Yeah. He's saying because Melbourne were greedy, it's the salary caps fault.

It's a rubbish argument.

"Sorry constable, I was doing 100 in a 60 zone because it should be 100". Run that one by a magistrate and see how you get on.

THEY CHEATED FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambretta

First Grade
Yeah. He's saying because Melbourne were greedy, it's the salary caps fault.

It's a rubbish argument.

"Sorry constable, I was doing 100 in a 60 zone because it should be 100". Run that one by a magistrate and see how you get on.

THEY CHEATED FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate, I don't disagree that they cheated, but sometimes if the law is an ass it needs changing and it needs people to stand up and say so. Sometimes law breaking can highlight where the law is so stupid and demands attention.

It's been patently obvious for a long time that it was wrong and needed changing.

Of course the Storm shouldnt have cheated. But does the punishment fit the crime? I highly doubt it.

Let's see what the law makers learn from this exercise. Will it be anything at all? I hope so, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

mickdo

Coach
Mate, I don't disagree that they cheated, but sometimes if the law is an ass it needs changing and it needs people to stand up and say so. Sometimes law breaking can highlight where the law is so stupid and demands attention.

:crazy:

Rusty

Juniors
Well if the law needs changing it doesn't give you the right to try and undermine it and break it. The Storm could have explored other channels to get their point across (like Bruno Cullen at the Broncos who sent the NRL TWO seperate submissions). Now they have screwed the whole competition over?! Brian Waldron the douchebag sat in a forum not long ago and discussed the cap at and was all for it. How was anyone to know how the Storm felt about the cap? Not sure if anyone viewed last weeks episode of the Sunday Footy Show on channel 9?

Brian Waldron the douchebag sat in a forum not long ago and discussed the cap at and was all for it. How was anyone to know how the Storm felt about the cap? Not sure if anyone viewed last weeks episode of the Sunday Footy Show on channel 9?
i did it was bloody scary stuff waldron seemed so genuine and honest but while he was standing there praising the salary cap he was already rorting it i have never seen such an exhibition of brazen bald faced lying through your teeth in my life

Last edited:

joseph1

Juniors
i cant buy this guys argument. a club is a club. the melbourne storm is a club. the melbourne storm cheated. the melbourne storm are guilty as charged.

TheDalek079

Bench
David Gallop did not screw the Melbourne Storm
the NRL did not screw the Melbourne Storm
Shawn Michaels definately did not screw the Melbourne Storm

The Melbourne Storm screwed the Melbourne Storm

Loudstrat

Coach
The bloody speed camera screwed me. Here I was, happily doing 120kph outside a school in a 40kph zone, minding my own business, watching the kids on the level crossing play "don't get hit by the bullbar" and admiring how fast they can run and scream at the same time.

And I got slugged $500 bucks for it.

Speed cameras reward driving mediocrity. Ask Gus.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Err, from memory, they took Finch when Parra dropped him and couldnt offer that much and offered a larger contract down the line if he was successful.

The Mason offer was a joke and Melbourne had gone mad by then thinking they could break the cap by as much as they wanted.

Look, I know what Melbourne did was wrong and YES they deserve sanctions to be made against them. Especially the people who made these decisions to break the cap rather than trying to talk the NRL into making some sensible concessions. However, had they done that, it would highlight the fact they might be breaking the cap and the NRL would have been up them in a flash.

But lets try and put some perspective into the issue and admit that the system might just not be ideal.

The system is not ideal - how do you think Eels fans, Dragons fans, Panthers fans feel seeing their most talented youngsters go elsewhere because we can't afford to keep them, but these scumbags kept all their talent?

But the fact is they cheated.

As for Finchy, I think you'll be interested to know his salary was wiped completely from us in 2009...Meaning either he agreed to not get paid what he was owed or Melbourne had to pay up...If as you say, they didn't pay up, then he probably agreed to take less money to go to Melbourne.

However, he was quoted as saying numerous times that he was after financial security - I think it would be very naive to think that he got paid less than what his contract was worth without getting a "brown paper bag under the table"...

patch

Juniors
Yeah the poor Storm, just the innocent party in all of this...........

Fine to be sarcastic and all, I'm sure that Canterbury fans felt the same way when elements of their side did the same thing eight years ago....

Waldron & anyone else at the club, (including those who sought to profit from the alleged whistle-blowing & any player who knowingly signed two contracts), deserve everything they'll ultimately get, it was after all, fraud & in the case of whistle-blowers insider trading.........

As a fan, I had zero idea that there was anything going on, what business tells all about how they run??

Out on the paddock, and just as Gould and many others have said, it's just amazing to watch a well-drilled, disciplined squad do what they do, sometimes we lost, most times we won............. But if CB stays with the club & if we lose certain members, I'm sure we'll pick up where we left off..

And as for 2010, well, it'll be dead embarrassing for the NRL and damn lucky for some others that Melbourne wont get points for the season, ensuring they stay on the bottom of the ladder.....

In relation to the thread topic, no. I don't believe the NRL cheated the Storm, but they've certainly hindered all clubs with low salary caps and the limitations upon 3rd party agreements.

macavity

Referee
I'm simply refeing to the fact that Melbourne Storm, s(alary cap issue aside) have best demostrated how to develop a young team.

1. Identify the best (very) young talent from across the country

2. Offer them double

3. Plonk them with feeder clubs and claim them as your own

4. Profit!

yup, that is a sustainable model that all clubs should adopt.

mickdo

Coach
And as for 2010, well, it'll be dead embarrassing for the NRL and damn lucky for some others that Melbourne wont get points for the season, ensuring they stay on the bottom of the ladder.....

It'd be 1000 times more embarrassing if they'd won the comp this year. F**k the Storm.