What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous team based out of Darwin

Marlins

Juniors
What if the NRL could have a Indigenous team in the Comp based out of Darwin. Scrap the all stars game and make a NRL team imagine the support it would have across Australia.
You could call them
Northern Serpents
Outback Serpents

Perth Red

Post Whore
You want to creat a comp based on race or culture? Can we have an Anglo Saxon heritage team as well for the rednecks to follow?

T-Boon

Coach
What if the NRL could have a Indigenous team in the Comp based out of Darwin. Scrap the all stars game and make a NRL team imagine the support it would have across Australia.
You could call them
Northern Serpents
Outback Serpents

Great idea, they would play awesome football.
I would say the best bet would be to make it a team that recognises the Aboriginal roots, "Northern Serpents" with an Aboriginal flag emblem or something, but allows non Aboriginal players (but in actuality keep it to 4 or 5 Islanders and or whites).
The NT government would be a major sponsor.
While it couldn't work in AFL (an otherwise all white sport) it could work in league because of the numerous races involved.
This idea is more realistic and no more race based than a PNG team that most league fans fantasise about when thinking of expansion.
Not without complication but otherwise.
Like.

alien

Referee
You can't have a club that has restrictions on what players it can sign based on race, and there shouldn't be a team in Darwin before Perth and Adelaide. The All Stars is enough.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't visit this part of the forum due to:

1 the pointlessness of talking expansion when the NRL has no intention of doing it.
And
2 some of the ludicrous 'ideas' (brain farts would be more apt) people write.

But I had to see this one to believe it.

haha, this is the place where "wings take dream".

The AFL have a round dedicated to race and we have a showpiece game respecting the indiginous peoples. Why not a club? Like Alien says you really couldn't have restrictions on the race of players, but you would just stack the team with Aboriginals anyway and have several token whites.

alien

Referee
haha, this is the place where "wings take dream".

The AFL have a round dedicated to race and we have a showpiece game respecting the indiginous peoples. Why not a club? Like Alien says you really couldn't have restrictions on the race of players, but you would just stack the team with Aboriginals anyway and have several token whites.

but we already have aboriginal jerseys, aboriginal round, the all stars match. an aboriginal club would just be over kill.

T-Boon

Coach
but we already have aboriginal jerseys, aboriginal round, the all stars match. an aboriginal club would just be over kill.

I'd get rid of those other things (jerseys, rounds all stars) go with a team recognising the Aboriginal heritage. (I didn't even know there was an indigenous round haha, there are too many).

alien

Referee
I'd get rid of those other things (jerseys, rounds all stars) go with a team recognising the Aboriginal heritage. (I didn't even know there was an indigenous round haha, there are too many).

I would rather just indigenous round/jerseys. Not a fan of the All Stars game.

Pommy

Coach
You could call them
Northern Serpents
Outback Serpents

Look at Glasgow and you will see why it's not the best idea to have teams based on silly lines like this.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'm going to assume people who think this is a good idea have never been to darwin. For starters it's a lot smaller then people realise. It's smaller then a lot of sydney suburbs. It's only a fraction of the size of the nrl's current smallest teams like townsville, Wollongong, Canberra and newcastle, but unlike those areas there's no nearby towns/ population centres to draw from. The next big town is katherine with 10k peoplw which is 300km away and you have to drive for another 1000km before you find another town with over a 1000 people in it. To further divide support along racial lines is just plain stupid.

Marlins

Juniors
I'm going to assume people who think this is a good idea have never been to darwin. For starters it's a lot smaller then people realise. It's smaller then a lot of sydney suburbs. It's only a fraction of the size of the nrl's current smallest teams like townsville, Wollongong, Canberra and newcastle, but unlike those areas there's no nearby towns/ population centres to draw from. The next big town is katherine with 10k peoplw which is 300km away and you have to drive for another 1000km before you find another town with over a 1000 people in it. To further divide support along racial lines is just plain stupid.
They could be huge draw card in most parts of Australia and could develop a huge fan base. They could also play 2-3 games in carins. It would also give Darwin there first sporting team to compete at a elite level which could be huge in getting more kids in Darwin into RL.

Pommy

Coach
They could be huge draw card in most parts of Australia and could develop a huge fan base. They could also play 2-3 games in carins. It would also give Darwin there first sporting team to compete at a elite level which could be huge in getting more kids in Darwin into RL.

Look rivalry in sport generates a certain amount of hate between fans. The last thing that needs to happen in Australia is to give young naive Indigenous kids (or vice versa for opposition fans) is another reason to hate a certain section of the community. Lets all just hate easts, wests or more importantly Manly as a multi cultural cross section of Australia.

DiegoNT

First Grade
To get crowds to the nrl average, which long-term is 16k, you'd need about 15% of the darwin population to attend every game. When you factor in people who work remotely but base themselves in Darwin, immigrants, elderly, those in poverty it gets extremely hard. To further divide the team on racial lines would make it impossible.
A darwin/Nt team in the qld cup would be a more realistic goal. With a pathway to the nrl (or at the very least to be easily scouted in the qld cup) would mean we could keep a bucket load of 16-22 year olds who move down south to get a chance to be picked up by the nrl system. That would further increase what is already a long standing drl with strong traditions

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL should NOT have a race based team....

The AllStars need a better opposition than a random selection of NRL players (and they need to stop that stupid internet selection thing).

Maybe a Pacific AllStars (im not a fan of Polynesian AS as it excludes PNG and Fiji)

jim_57

Staff member
The NRL should NOT have a race based team....

The AllStars need a better opposition than a random selection of NRL players (and they need to stop that stupid internet selection thing).

Maybe a Pacific AllStars (im not a fan of Polynesian AS as it excludes PNG and Fiji)

I quite like the idea of a pre season All Stars double header to celebrate the culture in our game.

Indigenous V Maori
Polynesia V Melanesia

As for Darwin, a team out of the QLD Cup would be best case scenario for a long time. We should be driving expansion at these levels and aiming for something like this to cover all our bases:

QLD Cup
  • Darwin
  • Toowoomba
  • PNG2
  • Hawaii (Long Shot)
NSW Cup
  • Fiji
  • Perth (Reserves for eventual NRL side)
  • Melbourne
  • NZ2 (Partnered with Samoa RL)
  • NZ3 (Partnered with Tonga RL)
  • Adelaide or Tassie (Long Shots)

T-Boon

Coach
They should include an all Aboriginal team and a PNG team in the nines tournament. Also take the nines tournament to different cities and play it over a week. Let cities bid for it.