What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis to take Rabbitohs captaincy

Brad Walter
May 4, 2011

STAR recruit Greg Inglis is in line to take over the South Sydney captaincy from injured skipper Roy Asotasi for the remainder of the season.

With prop Luke Stuart one of five Rabbitohs ruled out for the season, including England forward Sam Burgess, Inglis is believed to be the frontrunner to skipper the side in the absence of Asotasi.

The New Zealand front-rower broke his hand in last Friday night's win over Cronulla and there was more bad news for Souths coach John Lang when arthroscopic surgery on Burgess's ankle revealed the injury he sustained in the April 23 loss to Canterbury was worse than feared.

After initially being ruled out for six weeks due to the operation, Burgess will now be sidelined until at least the finals after it was discovered he had ruptured ligaments.

As a result, it was decided to insert a screw in Burgess's ankle to enable the injury to heal correctly and his estimated rehabilitation time is a minimum four months.

Burgess broke the news on Twitter, telling fans: ''Thanks for all your well wishes tweeps. Opp [operation] wasn't the best, more damage than expected & needed a screw. Will miss the rest of the season. GUTTED.''

The injury to Burgess has added to the Rabbitohs front-row crisis, with Asotasi, Stuart (knee) and Scott Geddes (knee) also ruled out for the season and Ben Lowe not due to return from a foot injury for another four to six weeks.

In addition, rookie centre Kane Morgan yesterday had a knee reconstruction after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament playing for feeder club North Sydney on Sunday.

''We're going through a tough time at the moment,'' Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said. ''We've now got six of our top 25-man squad out with long term injuries but there's not much you can do about it.

''We just need the young guys to step up like they did last weekend. There will be no excuses. The guys have got to get out and do the job.''

Burgess had moved from lock to the front row after the loss of Stuart and Queensland Origin forward Dave Taylor may have to do the same, with Lang having already using Eddy Pettybourne and Shannon McPherson as make-shift props.

Burgess's brother George may also be considered for his NRL debut after Richardson said the salary cap would prevent Souths from making a mid-season signing.

The club's only remaining recognised NRL front-rower, Ben Ross, is only eight games into a comeback from serious neck problems that kept him out of the game for two seasons.

Ross is off-contract after declining to take up an option to extend his deal with Souths for another season before the April 30 deadline and he is now guaranteed the opportunity to impress other clubs.

The Rabbitohs are also waiting to hear from halfback Chris Sandow, who is considering offers to stay at the club or join Parramatta.

Meanwhile, Canterbury prop Michael Hodgson was yesterday named to make his return in the NSW Cup after fainting in the match against Souths.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz1LMtyWRy7

Last edited by a moderator:

DC_fan

Coach
They have to be kidding.

Inglis has been a Rabbitoh for 5 mins and they are suggesting he should be our captain. To my knowledge he has no previous captaincy experience.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why are we commentating like we know this situation when we don't? Lang sees them every day, he's obviously the best man to make the decision and he thinks Inglis is captaincy material. We have no reason to doubt it until we see him in action.

DC_fan

Coach
Why are we commentating like we know this situation when we don't? Lang sees them every day, he's obviously the best man to make the decision and he thinks Inglis is captaincy material. We have no reason to doubt it until we see him in action.

Seriously BunniesMan, after having watched Greg Inglis play 6 seasons with the Storm plus numerous state and test matches have you seen anything in his game to suggest he would make a good captain?

I haven't.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Seriously BunniesMan, after having watched Greg Inglis play 6 seasons with the Storm plus numerous state and test matches have you seen anything in his game to suggest he would make a good captain?

I haven't.
He's never been put in that position though. And let's not forget he only turned 24 this year. For most of his rep career he's been a junior member, in terms of expierience etc.

At club level he's played under a strong leader in Cam Smith, at origin and international level he's had both Smith AND Lockyer.

This year for the first time he's been part of a team whose core is really very young, he's been a relatively senior player. Lang has seen him up close and personal. Maybe he has been a strong leader in training, maybe he's given advice and helped out the younger blokes like Farrell and Roberts. Maybe he's earnt the respect of the playing group.

There isn't a whole lot of rep experience and GF experience, and experience in general in this squad, especially after the injuries.

I support this decision until we see him in action with the C next to his name. I'll reevaluate my opinion only after a game or two with his as captain.

Mr Spock!

Referee
What are the other options?

Sutton (doesn't appear to be the leadership type)?
Crocker? (Injury prone)
Luke? (maybe?)
Merritt? (not many wingers/ fullbacks have been captains since Chris Anderson/ Warren Boland)
Taylor? (He's off for half the game and tends to do his own thing)
young Clark? (in the future - still a bench player atm)
Sandow? (Get stuffed)

DC_fan

Coach

Crocker? (Injury prone)
Luke? (maybe?)
Merritt? (not many wingers/ fullbacks have been captains since Chris Anderson/ Warren Boland)
Sandow? (Get stuffed)

I don't see it being any of the backs.

If I was making the decision then it would be Crocker. I know he can be injury prone. But who in our team isn't?

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors

Crocker? (Injury prone)
Luke? (maybe?)
Sandow? (Get stuffed)

If Clark was starting, there would be no doubt in my mind he would have the 'C'

I don't see it being any of the backs.

If I was making the decision then it would be Crocker. I know he can be injury prone. But who in our team isn't?

Crocker gets my vote he lifts the team and talks on the field and questions refs decisions.

Stand And Be Counted !
michael-crocker.jpg

Latest posts