What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury update

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You bend your knees naturally from a running jump, it’s not a bracing technique for the impact.

That may well be the case, but, I can assure you that players are coached to use their knees as a brace. You can even purchase special “pads” for players to wear so that their wingers can practice the technique.

95% of the big boys running into the line, brace themselves just as Sam did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

Players jump for the ball with their knees raised to brace for the contact just as Don did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

IMO they are pretty similar.

I don’t think either player should be punished.
I've been agreeing with you far too often lately

tripster

Juniors
I guess its time to prepare for life after Mansour. I love the guy. But if we need to replace him for the rest of the year... we might aswell make it a permanent change.

It is a good point. If Chricton continues to improve then who knows what he will be like by the end of the season. He might turn out to be a real weapon. What do we do then? Do we let Sauce go and keep Chricton because he will be cheaper? I guess it all depends on how we are placed under the cap.

Pomoz

Bench
They’re not similar because it’s possible to run into defenders without lifting your elbow.

It’s impossible for an attacking player to jump without bending their knees.
Sorry, but I disagree. Rewatch it. He held his knee up (not on purpose I'm sure, but it was up nevertheless). Basketball players jump high all the time without leading with their knees because they have to or it will result in a foul. This was avoidable. You can jump but once airborne your knees must be down or it is a penalty. Simple really.

Sorry, but I disagree. Rewatch it. He held his knee up (not on purpose I'm sure, but it was up nevertheless). Basketball players jump high all the time without leading with their knees because they have to or it will result in a foul. This was avoidable. You can jump but once airborne your knees must be down or it is a penalty. Simple really.

Heaps of bent knees in AFL marks, results in spectacular catches because it helps you get higher. I don’t want to see the game further sanitised because of a very rare occurrence, it’s totally reactionary.

I’m honestly surprised people want to see the game become less physical.

We’ve taken away the shoulder charge, any punching results in an automatic sin bin. Physicality is what makes rugby league unique, one of the toughest sports on the planet.

Now obviously there’s injury risks, but these are consenting adults. If they’re aware of the dangers & informed of the possible outcomes, what’s the worry? UFC is thriving as a sport and it’s fhe most brutal on the planet. There’s a market for physicality

Far better to teach defensive techniques to reduce your injury risk. If mansour jumps he doesn’t get injured. Now I’m not blaming him, but he had an option to mitigate the danger.

That may well be the case, but, I can assure you that players are coached to use their knees as a brace. You can even purchase special “pads” for players to wear so that their wingers can practice the technique.

How do you know it’s for bracing as opposed to gaining height? Bent knee jump will get you higher, and therefore more chance of getting the ball. Of course they practice it.

betcats

Referee

Sorry but I find this ridiculous. It was an accident, you go down this path and we will be playing oztag in no time. You don't start changing the rules because of one incident, I mean when is the last time someone got hurt in a similar way?

Sorry but I find this ridiculous. It was an accident, you go down this path and we will be playing oztag in no time. You don't start changing the rules because of one incident, I mean when is the last time someone got hurt in a similar way?
I have real doubts the game will exist in 30 years if we keep going this way

Pomoz

Bench
Who said change the rules? It is dangerous play, penalty move on.

If you want to see people kneed in the head, watch mma. I don't understand what is lost by stopping knees flying high. What's physical about having your head smashed in? Mansour has a serious injury that could be avoided by keeping the knees down. A collision still happens, tackles are still made. The game is as physical as it has ever been, more so given the collisions are with bigger bodies and at faster speeds. It is just not as dirty. Good job too. Grubs like Less Boyd have no place in the game.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’m honestly surprised people want to see the game become less physical.

We’ve taken away the shoulder charge, any punching results in an automatic sin bin. Physicality is what makes rugby league unique, one of the toughest sports on the planet.

Now obviously there’s injury risks, but these are consenting adults. If they’re aware of the dangers & informed of the possible outcomes, what’s the worry? UFC is thriving as a sport and it’s fhe most brutal on the planet. There’s a market for physicality

Far better to teach defensive techniques to reduce your injury risk. If mansour jumps he doesn’t get injured. Now I’m not blaming him, but he had an option to mitigate the danger.

Ummm.... who said anything about wanting the game less physical? I’m not calling for him to be punished, I’m basically saying that Sam was unfairly suspended and the Don was lucky to not receive the same.

Fair bump play on, in both cases.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
How do you know it’s for bracing as opposed to gaining height? Bent knee jump will get you higher, and therefore more chance of getting the ball. Of course they practice it.

This is getting silly. You wouldn’t need to develop pads that are aimed at teaching players to hit the opposing player. You would just practice jumping high.

betcats

Referee
Who said change the rules? It is dangerous play, penalty move on.

If you want to see people kneed in the head, watch mma. I don't understand what is lost by stopping knees flying high. What's physical about having your head smashed in? Mansour has a serious injury that could be avoided by keeping the knees down. A collision still happens, tackles are still made. The game is as physical as it has ever been, more so given the collisions are with bigger bodies and at faster speeds. It is just not as dirty. Good job too. Grubs like Less Boyd have no place in the game.

Its not against the rules at all. You want him penalised for jumping to high.

"You can jump but once airborne your knees must be down or it is a penalty" Where is that in the rule book?

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench

"You can jump but once airborne your knees must be down or it is a penalty" Where is that in the rule book?

Betcats the rules say you can't strike another player. The rules allow a penalty for conduct that's not in the spirit of the game. Either of those two will suffice. He can break the Olympic record for the high jump as long as he doesn't smash someone's face to a pulp why he does it. That's not really in the spirit of the game, is it? If you leap about with your knee raised like that you should accept you will be penalised and possibly charged. How Burgess gets two weeks for a nothing bruise and Don gets nothing for ending a players season and stoving their face in, is beyond me.

OldPanther

Coach
Betcats the rules say you can't strike another player. The rules allow a penalty for conduct that's not in the spirit of the game. Either of those two will suffice. He can break the Olympic record for the high jump as long as he doesn't smash someone's face to a pulp why he does it. That's not really in the spirit of the game, is it? If you leap about with your knee raised like that you should accept you will be penalised and possibly charged. How Burgess gets two weeks for a nothing bruise and Don gets nothing for ending a players season and stoving their face in, is beyond me.

Most people have said the burgess decision was crap at least.