What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside 40 years of hate

cronullashark

Juniors

By Ricky Stuart
April 08, 2007 12:00

Article from: </IMG>

LANCE Thompson still isn't over being sacked by the Dragons almost 18 months ago. You can hardly blame him, after committing more than a decade to the club.
From his demeanour and attitude this week at Sharks training, you could be forgiven for thinking he had arrived from Kogarah just yesterday.
Lance's intent ahead of tomorrow night's clash has given me the greatest insight into the famous Sharks-Dragons local derby, which has been a grudge match running for 40 years.
For so many reasons, there is a certain distaste from both sides of the Cronulla and St George Illawarra borders.
Like with Lance, much of the resentment may eventually subside - but there is always that little bit of bite that will remain forever.
Lance's form since joining the Sharks last year has proved that he has been a major loss for the Dragons. He has shown me that the Sharks-Dragons derby is more than just another match on the NRL calendar.
It's certainly a unique tradition, the derby.
Currently there are only three genuine derbies woven into the NRL fabric.
I experienced it during my time with the Roosters against Souths. And next weekend a new rivalry will be born when the Broncos meet their baby brother, the Titans.
It's with much anticipation that I become part of this great rivalry. For many years I have watched the Sharks-Dragons clashes with intrigue. And now that I'm at the coalface, it's even more appealing.
I've noticed a different vibe in the area, which I'm sure would be the same down the road at Kogarah. This game is about bragging rights, not just for the fans but the players as well.
It's also no coincidence that this week Sharks captain Brett Kimmorley was heavily linked to the Dragons for next season.
It's a situation that I'm comfortable with, because I know I'll be sitting down with Brett in the near future.
But the two clubs dohave a history of poaching and luring players away from their rivals.
Steve Rogers and Jason Stevens are two of the bigger names who have spent some time in both camps.
Current Sharks Ben Ross, Luke Douglas and Lance were all former Dragons; St George Illawarra boast Sam Isemonger, Tony Caine, Luke MacDougall and the injured Beau Scott - all former Cronulla players.
I also know how much this game means to Dragons coach Nathan Brown.
Having been a former neighbour of Nathan's, this is the game we used to chat frequently about over a beer.
My personal experience of this great tradition may be limited, but I know enough to realise Nathan will have his team steeled for the big occasion.
There's also one common denominator between the two clubs ahead of tomorrow night's match, and perhaps the most important one.
It is that both coaches and both teams are under pressure to find their next win.
We both have only one win to our names.
With so much at stake, it's clear that this won't be just another football match.

Source:http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,,21519567-5006066,00.html

coolumsharkie

Referee
I can't help but love this guy..

Whichever way you read into it, he brings a passion to our club that I have not seen before.

Kudos Sticky.

Thomo.

First Grade
i have always respected thommo's work ethic at training since coming to the sharks. there have been a number of mentions of this since coming over from the stains

sounds like he's working hard again.:D

Well Done Thommo:clap: lets see if he lines up for a goal kick again!!;-)

Thomo.

First Grade
i will hate all dragons fans tommorrow win/lose
and celebrate for week when they choke out of finals contention

Quint

Juniors
Hate is a strong word Thommo,
I have some friends who are Drags Fans...Can't bring myself to 'Hate them'.
But will bag them constantly if they lose......rest assured mate

sharks8601

Juniors
Quint said:
Hate is a strong word Thommo,
I have some friends who are Drags Fans...Can't bring myself to 'Hate them'.
But will bag them constantly if they lose......rest assured mate

its a bit different when there your mates
its not quiet like you hate them personally, more like becuase they support the queens
nothing personal
but you do have to brag and give it to him
after all thats what being a passionate fan is all about
and im sure all of us have copped our fair share or abuse from other fans
its part of the game, which imo is good
you can see the funny side to it sometimes

Dave Q

Coach
sharks8601 said:
how the f**k would you know
get back on your band wagon and f**k off

Because I went there where they have the article featured.

And many of the lads there they say that the sharks suck.

Jeez I love rogue forum coppers.

Show your me your badge, ya tool-headed troll-fugger.

Bet ya werent even born at sutho you head-flushed fliphead.

:p