What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instructional Poker Books

Mong

Post Whore
I mainly just play texas hold em and have been learning from play and from watching and listening to others. During the WSOP the commentators made mention numerous times about this person and that person had or hadn't read coaching books.

Anyone had a read and can recommend any such books? Were they helpful and worth the time to read?

HevyDevy

Coach
I mainly just play texas hold em and have been learning from play and from watching and listening to others. During the WSOP the commentators made mention numerous times about this person and that person had or hadn't read coaching books.

Anyone had a read and can recommend any such books? Were they helpful and worth the time to read?

Yes, there are a number that are very good.

- David Sklansky's Theory of Poker and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
- Harrington on Hold 'Em
- Lee Nelson's Kill Bill and also Kill Everyone.

If you're getting serious about it, I also recommend joining an online training site such as Cardrunners. They have thousands of videos at all stakes for both cash games and tournaments that demonstrate applying basic and advanced concepts in practice.

HevyDevy

Coach
Probably fair to say that Super System is a bit dated by now although still worth a read if you're just starting out.

Mong

Post Whore

- Harrington on Hold 'Em

If you're getting serious about it, I also recommend joining an online training site such as Cardrunners. They have thousands of videos at all stakes for both cash games and tournaments that demonstrate applying basic and advanced concepts in practice.

Excellent thanks mate.

Ghoulies

Bench

- Harrington on Hold 'Em

Good post. All are excellent books, and the online training tip is a good one too.

Cardrunners is great, but if you're after something that you can test run before committing any $$$, Deucescracked offers a 7 day free trial. It's the same quality of content (though not nearly the quantity of cardrunners) and the videos are DRM free too, so you can play it on your iPod etc.

thuggdogg

Juniors
gangsta you gotta decide what version of the game you want to pursue,

like cricket that have different varieties (20/20/fiddy/fiddy and test) pokers the same.

me? i like the sit n go hard.
'sit n go strategy' by moshman is a great starter.

tournament- harringtons on holdem fo sho.

dont bother with bruunsons book its not that good and outdated.

cash game poker?
the one that hevydevy mentioned is meant to b a good read.