What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Article

EzyG

Juniors
Broncos poised to pinch Panther

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21751278-23214,00.html

• <LI class=byline>Brent Read
  • May 18, 2007
THE Penrith five-eighth responsible for sinking Brisbane with a golden point field goal in round three could yet become the solution to the Broncos' halfback woes.

Peter Wallace, hero of the Panthers' comeback 29-28 win over Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in March, has been earmarked as a "player of interest" by the premier.
Wallace is off contract at the end of the season and his name has featured in discussions between senior Broncos officials.
His manager Allan Gainey said talks had started with Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett. "He's (Wallace) interested for sure," Gainey said.
"We're in the early stages at this time. There is nothing definite.
"Penrith are keen to retain him. There's also some interest there from Gold Coast. He's keen to talk to Brisbane and his own club."
Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club was yet to decide whether it would look externally for help at halfback.
However, it appears to have precious few internal options.
Despite winning the premiership last year, the Broncos have struggled to find a player capable of complementing captain and five-eighth Darren Lockyer.
Shane Perry filled the role for most of last year but has fallen out of favour, although he will partner Joel Moon on Monday against Manly at Brookvale Oval as Lockyer is on Origin duty.
Moon has also spent time at halfback while Bennett has experimented with Lockyer in the position.
"We were made aware last week that he (Wallace) was a player ... that we may be able to get," Cullen said.
"We're working on our options at the moment and seeing who's off contract and who's not.
"He's a player of interest but we haven't made an official approach to him."
A Penrith junior, Wallace was earmarked for first grade last season but seriously injured a knee in the pre-season.
He has played all of the Panthers' nine games this year, cementing a place in first grade despite the lacklustre form shown by the club.
"He's got a great kicking game," Gainey said. "It would probably take a bit of pressure off (Lockyer).
"He's spoken to (Bennett) once and I think they're going to have another chat.
"Then we're going to work out whether we fly up there ... or whether he comes down."
Meanwhile, Penrith has opened talks with Wallace's team-mate Joel Clinton, who is expected to stay at the Panthers. With Clinton staying at Penrith and NSW prop Brett White close to remaining with Melbourne, St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles is the highest-profile front-rower on the open market.
Speculation has Ryles leaving the Dragons at the end of the season for either English club Leeds or the Dragons' NRL rival Newcastle.
As revealed in The Australian last month, the Knights have money to spend following the retirement of Andrew Johns, and Ryles is at the top of their hit-list.
However, the former NSW and Australia prop has shown significant interest in joining former team-mate Trent Barrett in England.
Leeds is thought to be the most likely destination, although Ryles has been linked to Wigan.
His possible exit has led St George Illawarra to inquire about Manly backrower Anthony Watmough, who is off contract at the end of the season.
"Choc (Watmough) is a priority for the club, a local junior," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said. "We want to keep him."
Another potential Newcastle target, Manly winger Chris Hicks, could also be bound for England after receiving interest from Warrington, Hull Kingston Rovers and Huddersfield.

Sorry for the long thread guys, Don't know how to link yet

Panthers are cashed up. I would like to see Wallace retained
Maybe Panthers are considering Firman. time will tell

abpanther

Staff member
I would hate to see Wallace go, he has been one of the few shining lights and I think he will develop into a good/great half.

I hope we don't break the bank on Clinton, he still struggles with dumb errors and consistency, would rather White or 70cents-a-litre

Big Mick

Referee
re-sign clinton for about 70% of his current salary...then throw a sh*tload at Brett White to give us a great starting front row...then Grant and Puletua off the bench...we'll be schweet.

Then sign a few fringe first graders, young guys with potential looking for a shot.

IMO there isn't much out there atm...i'd be looking to build depth aside from a first class front rower.

Steve Southern is one i'd look at...Brett White definately. Ben Vaeau...not sure if he is off contract but. David Shillington...not sure of his contract situation either. Willie Raston.

Munky

Coach
If we lose Wallace my immediate post following on PI will see me banned for life in about 3seconds.

seeing how we played when Craig Gower went off the field and wallace took over i would be very , very angry if we dont re-sign him.

I get the feeling something might happen with Craig Gower ( a release to european rugby ?) which might mean a increased role for Peter Wallace.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
It's simple - Re-sign Wallace for 4-5 years for what he would see as a great contract for his age (Around 200k) and in a few years he will be worth double that.
Saves money in the cap.

As for the forwards, White would suit a black jumper, as would Civo.

choc_soldier

Coach
Hopefully it's all smokes and mirrors, and we re-sign the kid on a long term contract. He has all the potential to become our long term 5/8th.

I fear, however, that we will pathetically let him go like we've done over the past few years with some players, and as compensation pick up a 'promising' lock from the Erina Eagles.

murraymob

Coach
EzyG said:
Broncos poised to pinch Panther
  • <LI class=byline>Brent Read
  • May 18, 2007
THE Penrith five-eighth responsible for sinking Brisbane with a golden point field goal in round three could yet become the solution to the Broncos' halfback woes.

Peter Wallace, hero of the Panthers' comeback 29-28 win over Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in March, has been earmarked as a "player of interest" by the premier.
Wallace is off contract at the end of the season and his name has featured in discussions between senior Broncos officials.
His manager Allan Gainey said talks had started with Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett. "He's (Wallace) interested for sure," Gainey said.
"We're in the early stages at this time. There is nothing definite.
"Penrith are keen to retain him. There's also some interest there from Gold Coast. He's keen to talk to Brisbane and his own club."
Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club was yet to decide whether it would look externally for help at halfback.
However, it appears to have precious few internal options.
Despite winning the premiership last year, the Broncos have struggled to find a player capable of complementing captain and five-eighth Darren Lockyer.
Shane Perry filled the role for most of last year but has fallen out of favour, although he will partner Joel Moon on Monday against Manly at Brookvale Oval as Lockyer is on Origin duty.
Moon has also spent time at halfback while Bennett has experimented with Lockyer in the position.
"We were made aware last week that he (Wallace) was a player ... that we may be able to get," Cullen said.
"We're working on our options at the moment and seeing who's off contract and who's not.
"He's a player of interest but we haven't made an official approach to him."
A Penrith junior, Wallace was earmarked for first grade last season but seriously injured a knee in the pre-season.
He has played all of the Panthers' nine games this year, cementing a place in first grade despite the lacklustre form shown by the club.
"He's got a great kicking game," Gainey said. "It would probably take a bit of pressure off (Lockyer).
"He's spoken to (Bennett) once and I think they're going to have another chat.
"Then we're going to work out whether we fly up there ... or whether he comes down."
Meanwhile, Penrith has opened talks with Wallace's team-mate Joel Clinton, who is expected to stay at the Panthers. With Clinton staying at Penrith and NSW prop Brett White close to remaining with Melbourne, St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles is the highest-profile front-rower on the open market.
Speculation has Ryles leaving the Dragons at the end of the season for either English club Leeds or the Dragons' NRL rival Newcastle.
As revealed in The Australian last month, the Knights have money to spend following the retirement of Andrew Johns, and Ryles is at the top of their hit-list.
However, the former NSW and Australia prop has shown significant interest in joining former team-mate Trent Barrett in England.
Leeds is thought to be the most likely destination, although Ryles has been linked to Wigan.
His possible exit has led St George Illawarra to inquire about Manly backrower Anthony Watmough, who is off contract at the end of the season.
"Choc (Watmough) is a priority for the club, a local junior," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said. "We want to keep him."
Another potential Newcastle target, Manly winger Chris Hicks, could also be bound for England after receiving interest from Warrington, Hull Kingston Rovers and Huddersfield.

Sorry for the long thread guys, Don't know how to link yet

Panthers are cashed up. I would like to see Wallace retained
Maybe Panthers are considering Firman. time will tell
Where was this story what newspaper would love to link it to pi or qld panthers site

choc_soldier

Coach
Good point murraymob - I really should have checked the original post of the thread. Any articles MUST be suitably credited to the source. I'll edit it now!

For the record, it was from Fox Sports - just punched 'Peter Wallace' into the Google news search engine.

Kilkenny

Coach
4 or 5 year deals are for the elite players only. I don't think Wallace is quite in the elite category yet.

At best his true market and cap value would be approximately 120K a season.

PEPPSY

Juniors
In the top grade, I have only seen Wallace play one good game and that was against the Cowboys.

murraymob

Coach
Wallace will resign .If he goes to ponys he will have to start all over again.He has the starting spot now. I can not see much differance between what the broncos and what we will pay

Panther

Juniors
I'd like to see Wallace stay but if the Broncos want him Penrith may not be able to offer enough.

EzyG

Juniors
The source is the Australian News paper but the story is in a few sport sites.
Fox sports etc.
The Herald, Telegraph & Australian are usually pretty good for Panther articles, especially the telegraph. The telegraph most commonly prints positive articles re: Panthers
Some1 there must be a Panther suppporter

Kilkenny

Coach
I have seen fans of Wallace talking about deals in the proportion of $200K plus a season, 4 & 5 years deals. Absolutely amazing.

He is still very much an unproven commodity and I am not convinced he is the future of our club as some have boldly pointed out.

The only thing for sure and certain is, if the Panthers want to retain him they will. They are obviously in a better financial position than most other clubs in terms of they do have money to spend. Most other clubs don't and I would be very surpised if the Bronco's would have to much money to play with. Had they have had the funds they would surely have had a crack at Monaghan and they were not mentioned at any stage as being in the race.

Fibroman

First Grade
As much as I believe Lukey Lewis plays his best footy on the wing or centres, he may well finish up at 5/8th. He is a quality player, and in my opinion, is our best player at the moment.

If Lewis is to finish up at 5/8th, there will be no room for Wallace.

I have also suggested that Gower move to 5/8th, and note that this suggestion is receiving some support from other posters on this and the PI site. JIf this was to occur, I still don't see a spot for Wallace at half back.

I also see Firman making his way into the lineup when he is over his injury.

Wallace will probably get an offer of around 100-150k per season at another club.

Personally I think we should let him go and save the money to attract Adrian Morley back from ESL and slot him into our front row in introduct some badly needed mongrel into our game.

Latest posts