What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting comments regarding halves & hookers

BrissyRedV

Bench
St George Illawarra Dragons Assistant Coach Jason Demetriou is pleased with the performance of the team following the 44-4 win over the Central Queensland Capras at Browne Park, Rockhampton on Saturday.
The Red-and-Whites scored nine tries in a dominant display which included doubles to winger Tom Carr, centre Corey Browne and five-eighth Drew Hutchison as well as a first-half which saw the team commit only three errors.
However, Demetriou concedes that there are areas of improvement heading into the new season following nine errors made during the second-half but is ultimately happy with what he saw.
“I was very happy with the game and the way we performed but most pleasing was the discipline shown by the players,” said Demetriou.
“It was our fourth trial and there could have been some complacency from the boys, as I’m sure some would have liked to have the weekend off, but we were very professional with the way we approached the game.
“I didn’t know what to expect leading into the game as I knew the Capras has a tough year last season but I knew they had some good players in their ranks.
“I spoke to the players before the match and told them to expect a tough game and despite what the score line showed it was.
“We made only three errors from the first 21 sets which I was very impressed with but the second-half was slightly the opposite.
“We got ahead of ourselves a bit and started playing against the scoreboard instead of trying to complete each individual set.
“We came up with nine errors during that period which is way too many in any game of footy.
“Our defence though was very impressive despite what became messy at stages.
“I thought both Drew Hutchison and Blake Wallace really played well together during the first half while Josh McCrone looked good when playing as hooker.
“We let the sets do the work and took the opportunities when they came but I felt during the second-half we were trying to manufacture something from nothing instead of staying patient.
“We completed our sets well and dented the line while our front generated game speed and the halves played off the back of that.
“Our support play was well as well as our kicking game during the first-half.
“We showed that the Dragons have a lot more depth than they have in previous years.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/content/dragons/club/news/2016/02/28/demetriou_display_sh.html

RedVDragon

Juniors
Rein isn't really a benchmark to improve upon anyone playing hooker can play better than he. You can put George Rose at hooker and get a better result. In fact Georgey boys has more skills than Rein.

Like the idea of McCrone as a back up hooker for Rein/Havili

Hutch/McCrone/Wallace/Nona as halves backups for Marshall/Widdop

Excellent coverage.

Cap space will allow us to use Wallace and Nona if required

st.phil

Bench
Rein isn't really a benchmark to improve upon anyone playing hooker can play better than he. You can put George Rose at hooker and get a better result. In fact Georgey boys has more skills than Rein.
dude 8 on Sunday morning and your into it. Pretty sad...get a grip and perhaps a new riff.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Fair Dinkum... the same constant dribble.

Yawn is right.

Also I think the forum know your view on Rein so move on.

You are either an idiot or a moron. Possibly both.

watatank

Coach
McCrone was spoken of more as hooker depth when he signed and given the lack of hooker depth and a few options at halves it makes sense.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I was pleased to see Wallace in favour as a replacement half. In a pinch they still may go for McCrone but if Wallace does well in the Cutters he may earn preference. On the minus side of the game, Milne doesn't seem to be able to get his hand on the ball very often.

duck

Juniors
On the minus side of the game, Milne doesn't seem to be able to get his hand on the ball very often.
Hardly his fault but I know what you're saying. Seems we're all keen to see this kid go well but every game he plays the ball doesn't go his way.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Hardly his fault but I know what you're saying. Seems we're all keen to see this kid go well but every game he plays the ball doesn't go his way.

I reckon that is because whenever Benji has been playing, a right side half, Taane hasn't been on the field. It would have been good to see them both have a go and see what kind of combo they could have struck. Wishful thinking though.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I reckon that is because whenever Benji has been playing, a right side half, Taane hasn't been on the field. It would have been good to see them both have a go and see what kind of combo they could have struck. Wishful thinking though.

Interesting insight
Thanks!

TheRev

First Grade
Demetriou said “I thought both Drew Hutchison and Blake Wallace really played well together during the first half while Josh McCrone looked good when playing as hooker.

This is great news & precisely what ive been yammering on about in the halfback thread, McCrone should only be here for hooker depth, thats the only position we have 0 coverage in.. he shouldnt be standing in the way of Hutch/Nona/Wallace... hopefully this is how things will start out in Round 1..

Ill be interested to see if McCrone can actually handle long hooker minutes though, life gets really interesting if Rein gets a lengthy injury.

The Nick

Bench
This is great news & precisely what ive been yammering on about in the halfback thread, McCrone should only be here for hooker depth, thats the only position we have 0 coverage in.. he shouldnt be standing in the way of Hutch/Nona/Wallace... hopefully this is how things will start out in Round 1..

Ill be interested to see if McCrone can actually handle long hooker minutes though, life gets really interesting if Rein gets a lengthy injury.

I still wouldn't rule out plucking another hooker this season. Seems we have a bit of money to play with and balancing caps seems to be a year round juggling act for most clubs.

BennyV

Referee

I'm not overly sure why Nona keeps getting bunched in with those we may be looking at long term. At 26 with 0 first grade experience, I can't see a lot of upside. Even with a few injuries, he shouldn't be banking on first grade experience and if we are looking at a half to bring into the Dragons squad on a minimum contract, should be Wallace, as we are strapped for 7s (as opposed to traditional running a 6s) and he has youth on his side.

giboz71

First Grade
I'm not overly sure why Nona keeps getting bunched in with those we may be looking at long term. At 26 with 0 first grade experience, I can't see a lot of upside. Even with a few injuries, he shouldn't be banking on first grade experience and if we are looking at a half to bring into the Dragons squad on a minimum contract, should be Wallace, as we are strapped for 7s (as opposed to traditional running a 6s) and he has youth on his side.

Cody Walker looks like debuting at 26 for the Rabbits. If he does well, he may even stay there if the rumours about Keary being in the outer are true.

Never seen him play but if he's good enough, we should be looking at him. But I hear what you're saying. The fact that Wallace and Nona keep getting mentioned means we are probably hedging our bets with Hutch.

Latest posts