What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTERIM ASSOCIATION OF RUGBY LEAGUE SUPPORTERS

Mighty Tiger

Bench
A new Interim Association of Rugby League Supporters has been formed.

If you wish to submit any practical ideas to this new Association, please post a reply.

westie

Bench
Mighty Tiger said:
A new Interim Association of Rugby League Supporters has been formed.

If you wish to submit any practical ideas to this new Association, please post a reply.

Which basically means if you want to have a bitch about something tell us and we will try and do something about it.

If you want to read about it and then suggest ways we can improve check out this doco. http://members.optusnet.com.au/leaguevoice/NRLFB.doc

Brook or Phi you might want to write a review or something of what went on.[/url]

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Will read the - at first glance - wordy document with interest but how
(a) do you expect such a body to be representative and accountable?
(b) what is its purpose other than to be a sounding board and rubber stamp for the NRL?[/i]

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Having read the documents I am still not clear what is the purpose of the organisation. Friendly relations between fans - good idea - but that exists anyway. Our game is not plagued by fan violence to other fans.
In England years ago when fans launched similar bodies it was to tackle racism in soccer. We dont have that problem either. For such a body to be a success it would need a very clear and a real problem that needs solving.
Then there will be tricky issues about who represents each club and how they are appointed. As far as I am aware we dont have any fan structure within Balmain or the JV? That is something I would actually like to see - some sort of unofficial Balmain or JV fan group which could communicate via an agreed website board such as this or rleague.com - but not the official site.
Maybe some of the propopents of this idea who post here could elaborate on their views? Or perhaps we should start a thread on what we think are the big issues that fans are concerned about - that is issues that directly impact on us - for example state of grounds and amenities.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Having read the documents I am still not clear what is the purpose of the organisation.

The purpose of the Association of Rugby League Supporters is to try and help supporters of all Rugby League to have a say in how the game is going.

When decisions are made at the top to change the game who does the NRL ask for their opinions?

When the NRL have those meetings at the beginning, during and the end of the season between Players, Coaches, CEO's and Media us fans who support the game don't get any say in what we would like to be changed and what we think could improve this great game we have.

Since the Association of Rugby League Supporters has now been given the backing of the NRL to try and get something off the ground we are now after views and opinions of all fans for what they would not just like the NRL to do but the clubs they support as well to try and improve things (small and large) for Rugby League as a whole.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Then there will be tricky issues about who represents each club and how they are appointed. As far as I am aware we dont have any fan structure within Balmain or the JV?

That is something I would actually like to see - some sort of unofficial Balmain or JV fan group which could communicate via an agreed website board such as this or rleague.com - but not the official site.

Maybe some of the propopents of this idea who post here could elaborate on their views? Or perhaps we should start a thread on what we think are the big issues that fans are concerned about - that is issues that directly impact on us - for example state of grounds and amenities.

Mate spot on, this is what I have been trying to arrange for over 2yrs now and with this Association of Rugby League Supporters now being supported by the NRL its at least one step in the right direction.

Use this thread for the time being to post your views on changes you would like made not just about the NRL but as the Wests Tigers as well.

We will be having another meeting which will be held this Saturday.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Suggestion: why dont we set up an unofficial Balmain or Wests Tigers group? (Does it have to be WT because of the NRL connection?)
Have a meeting to give you or whoever suggestions? Why do that? Because I reckon to mean anything an organisation like that has to have some sort of local structure - at least you would be speaking on behalf of somebody. And the meeting itself will generate ideas and views.
Then you can use this board (or rleaguecom) to circulate those ideas and get more feedback.
I am happy to help set up such a local group.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Suggestion: why dont we set up an unofficial Balmain or Wests Tigers group? (Does it have to be WT because of the NRL connection?).

To be honest I would love the clubs to get involved and support such a group but that won't happen at the moment.

So the only real choice we have is to do it ourselves the same as Manly, Bulldogs and Souths have done (to name a few). Once we can prove we are a big enough group of supporters then the club should start showing support into the idea.

Bald Tiger said:
I am happy to help set up such a local group.

Mate not a problem and to be honest we will need as much help as we can get from everyone to get a supporters group off the ground for Balmain, Wests and/or the Wests Tigers (what ever people wish to choose).

The Association of Rugby League Supporters is for the fans, it is a group that consists of fans who have been in our position from which no supporters club had been started, and with the help of these guys we can hopefully get one started and make it successful at the same time. ;-)

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Mighty Tiger: I gather from your comments that you are pretty involved in this Association. How many other Balmain, Wests or JV fans are involved? Why dont you call an informal meeting via League Unlimited of those fans who want to set up an unofficial local group?
Likely to be a small group to start with and then we can all pitch in and build it. See what skills we have in the group as well.
Pity there is only one home game left - could we all meet after the Cowboys game at c/town?
You could explain the idea to people.
Need a group of one-eyed, die-hard, true believers who will do some work to make it happen. You can count me in.

brook

First Grade
Bald Tiger said:
Suggestion: why dont we set up an unofficial Balmain or Wests Tigers group? (Does it have to be WT because of the NRL connection?)

This is more of a side issue to the topic at hand but right here you have hit on the one thing i would love to see happen above just about all others. A real fan group for Balmain.

Wests have the diehards and they are great, the thing with balmain is that we have as many fans actually attending the games - but no organisation...even at marathon the other night i spotted a heap of balmain jerseys through the crowd and it would have been fantastic if we could have got even a quarter of them together in the one spot to really cheer the boys on and make sure they know they actually have fans

I know theres a heap of people on this forum that go to most of the first division games, it seems stupid that we never do anything to sit together and make some noise

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah i try to get to most PL games, and there's always a good number of Balmain jerseys' present and i hear plenty on these forums of others who attend.
It would be really good if we could some how get involved with the club itself. We could build a real soid foundation for this club and assure ourselves of a club to support because who knows how big a supporters club could get???

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Mighty Tiger: I gather from your comments that you are pretty involved in this Association. How many other Balmain, Wests or JV fans are involved?.

Yes I am involved.

To be honest we held our first meeting last week. At that meeting Brook, Westie and Myself attended.

Bald Tiger said:
Why dont you call an informal meeting via League Unlimited of those fans who want to set up an unofficial local group?
Likely to be a small group to start with and then we can all pitch in and build it. See what skills we have in the group as well.
Pity there is only one home game left - could we all meet after the Cowboys game at c/town?
You could explain the idea to people.

Word is going to have to get around amongst supporters and we will have to try and arrange a meeting.

We could meet after the Cowboys game to try and get the ball rolling and get some ideas on what some of the fans want in regards to starting a supporters club.

I'm not a huge fan for meeting after a game for a few reasons
- If we loose the turn out would be very low
- If we win the turn out would be good but most of the talk would be about the game just played

Just a few reasons but you can see what I mean. A meeting on either another day would really be better or maybe it would be best if we all sat in the same area during our last home game so that we could try and work a few things out ready for the next season in regards to a supporters group?

Bald Tiger said:
Need a group of one-eyed, die-hard, true believers who will do some work to make it happen. You can count me in.

Mate good to see and your help will be required!

Mighty Tiger

Bench
brook said:
This is more of a side issue to the topic at hand but right here you have hit on the one thing i would love to see happen above just about all others. A real fan group for Balmain.

Wests have the diehards and they are great, the thing with balmain is that we have as many fans actually attending the games - but no organisation...even at marathon the other night i spotted a heap of balmain jerseys through the crowd and it would have been fantastic if we could have got even a quarter of them together in the one spot to really cheer the boys on and make sure they know they actually have fans

I know theres a heap of people on this forum that go to most of the first division games, it seems stupid that we never do anything to sit together and make some noise

Spot on!

B_Tiger

Juniors
I'm really not keen on this idea at all. As bald says, what need is there for this board? Close interaction between fans? Well that is achieved on forums like this where individuals share opinions, meet and interact. An official board isn't needed to conduct this interaction. Futhermore, if the intention of the board is to increase interaction between fan bases and fans themselves don't want this then who are they representing? I couldn't give a stuff about fan interaction. I support my club and I go to matches to watch them play. I don't especially want any part of a rugby league community.

Also, as the guy points out, this board is going to initially represent very few people. It seems only like a method by which people can feel more important. As a balmain Tiger member I vote for Balmain officials who i feel will best represent me. The last thing this world needs is another board. The purpose of football club boards are to represent the fans who elect them. where is the need for a board that ultimately aims to do the same thing? I hate the idea of adding a new board to the rugby league system. i hate the idea of one individual fan from each club claiming to represent the concerns of all fans. That simply isn't possible and is a stupid suggestion.

I completely agree with bald about having our own wests tigers board. That seems a far more relevant idea as our club as a joint-venture has many internal issues to deal with before we start allowing one person to represent us as one club supporter base. We simply are not that and are far away from being able to be represented by one single voice summing up all our concerns because our concerns are very much varried.

I really think this is one of the stupidest proposals I have ever read. I would personally never support any wests tigers fan representing the entire fan base. In fact, you would have to be stupid to think the concerns of wests tigers could be represented by one person. It isn't possible. I really hope none of you aim to run for this board because the inflated self-importance you must have would immediately isolate you from the wests tigers supporter base. I just can't see what need there is for this board. I don't feel unrepresented, I don't feel like I don't have a voice and anyone who doesn't feel represented can sign up to a football club and have your say there. The board of each club is open and based on personal experience, very willing to interact with the fans of the club. If fans want to get to know each other better well then forums like this are a perfect solution, some bullshit board that pretends to represent the concerns of fans isn't the method I'd go about getting to know other fans better.

Snide the Tiger

Juniors
B-Tiger - you may have a voice but your lack of concern as to the grounds on and powers by which this voice can be silenced or censored ignores the issue at hand!!!

The primary voice of the NRL is News Limited - with its specific agendas and biasses based on corporate interests - and our collective voice as grass roots fans is a proverbial whisper when facing such saturation!!!

While I do not specifically endorse the proposed forum - any such dissident voices on the behalf of we disenfranchised supporters (no matter whether they be but cries in the wilderness) must be welcomed!!!!

Good luck to those trying to assert a greater influence on our behalf (not that we fans are a homogenous base - but our strength is in our numbers)!!!

Bald Tiger

Juniors
A Balmain Fans Group would be brilliant. Lets do it!
Seems to me that could meet everybody’s needs - would be great to (a) improve facilities for fans within the club; (b) support the PL side; (c) sit together - esp at JV away games and PL - to support them and JV - and I am sure you can add other ideas.
That group could be a starting point for a WT JV group - that would fit Mighty Tiger idea of base for Association.
So how do we proceed - even its a small group to start with - how about:
(a) meeting to discuss setting up a Balmain Fans Group
(b) venue: Tigers Leagues Club
(c) date: Saturday 30 August after PL match against Parramatta (or could be before at Leichhardt)
(d) if we can agree - can Brook post a notice at the top of this site?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
B_Tiger I agree with alot that you had to say.

In saying that there are alot of people who want to have a supporters club started, last year I managed to gain 87 people who wanted to join such a group but that again this comes down to an individual basis. I didn't even advertise for any interest either!

All I want is some sort of supporters group to get up and running and in the long term to try and get the club to recognize its fans more not just for home games but for away games as well (be it Balmain, Wests or the Wests Tigers).

I'm not going to put my hand up to be the representative for this group because honestly I'm Balmain and then Wests Tigers not the other way around and everyone knows this so I feel it would be pointless for me to do so. I do however want to meet and get other ideas from the guys who did start the supporter groups and now have backing from there clubs. I don't have to be a member to do this I just have to waste my own time to try and get ideas to try and get something up and running.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Mighty - fans such as B_Tiger who might be very doubtful about the Association would, I hope - esp. if they are Balmain fans as B_Tiger is - join a Balmain Fans Group.
All we need are a few of us to get it started. Then we can build it.
So what does everybody reckon?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Seems to me that could meet everybody’s needs - would be great to (a) improve facilities for fans within the club; (b) support the PL side; (c) sit together - esp at JV away games and PL - to support them and JV - and I am sure you can add other ideas.
That group could be a starting point for a WT JV group - that would fit Mighty Tiger idea of base for Association.
(c) date: Saturday 30 August after PL match against Parramatta (or could be before at Leichhardt)

Mate Sounds good we could all try and catch up at the game as no doubt Ryde will be playing before hand as well.

I really want to get something up and running not just for home games but especially for away games.

brook

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
Bald Tiger said:

Mate Sounds good we could all try and catch up at the game as no doubt Ryde will be playing before hand as well.

I really want to get something up and running not just for home games but especially for away games.

That game sounds good to me - I'd make it before the game at leichhardt though so we can get together and make some noise! There is a hawkes game before hand so maybe we can all try and get there for that too? (I know I will be)

Latest posts