What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE MUST COME BEFORE NRL

SHOULD INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE COME BEFORE NRL

• NO WE SHOULD SHRIVEL UP AND LET INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION DIE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES OF COURSE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dimitri

First Grade
this was a title for an article in the rugby league review

and i totally agree

players dropping out of roo tours is a disgrace unless if they are injured

there must be some sort of contracts stating that the players and teams must be available for rep selection when not injured

the rlif, the nrl, the esl and all other nations need to sit down and work things out

Alan Shore

First Grade
I agree 100%.

In fact the ESL and NRL seasons should both be reduced. Soccer manages to have a huge club scene as well as Internationals.

The Observer

Staff member
Dimitri, I saw that comment from the Libber - while he is a champ, it was a pretty facile way of looking at it. The idea that we want our best players playing rep football is a given. Every Roo tour dropout has cited injuries - do you think some are overstating the seriousness? I doubt it because those players will be forgotten (out of sight, out of mind) when it comes to future rep matches.

Adding a clause as you've suggested wouldn't actually do much ot change things.

Tamazoid said:
I agree 100%.

In fact the ESL and NRL seasons should both be reduced. Soccer manages to have a huge club scene as well as Internationals.

Sounds good in theory but NASA will terraform Venus before the NRL reduces the length of the season - the reality is that all clubs are tight financially as it is - dropping a few competition rounds will reduce income by hundreds of thousands of dollars which clubs cannot afford. Plus, some clubs will complain that they get a harder draw than others because they play the top teams more than others. Given that, it would buy the favour of the NRL clubs to concentrate on getting full home and away rounds of regular season competition - which, incidentally, soccer has.

If the clubs are happy with their season, then they will be slightly more likely to get players released for international matches. Given there is currently either little funding or talent to sustain current number let alone add a new team, it means the comp should reduce by one.

Marcus

Juniors
dimitri said:
players dropping out of roo tours is a disgrace unless if they are injured

Thats a good thing though, cause GB should beat them 3-zip. Its just what the game needs.

roopy

Referee
I disagree with the principle that one should come before the other.

Both need to be accomodated.

The true strength of Rugby League is the 27 fully professional clubs in the NRL and ESL. These clubs generate big dollars and spend the money on turning out hundreds of world class athletes for our sport. Without them we would be nothing.
I think it is important that we get players from all round the world into the professional clubs, and that they then take those skills to their national sides.

International competition will make the code stronger, but it shouldn't be at the expence of our greatest strength now, which is the pro clubs.

dimitri

First Grade
Sounds good in theory but NASA will terraform Venus before the NRL reduces the length of the season - the reality is that all clubs are tight financially as it is - dropping a few competition rounds will reduce income by hundreds of thousands of dollars which clubs cannot afford. Plus, some clubs will complain that they get a harder draw than others because they play the top teams more than others. Given that, it would buy the favour of the NRL clubs to concentrate on getting full home and away rounds of regular season competition - which, incidentally, soccer has.

javed

think about it

at the moment there are 26 rounds and 15 teams

teams already play an uneven amount of matches against other teams

the smart thing to do would be to reduce the amount of nrl rounds to an even 1 match against each team

play many more tests then split the money between all the clubs

all the clubs would not have to spend money hosting and travelling to games

yet they would get plenty of income from test revenue

terracesider

Juniors
Both ESL and NRL need a strong international game for higher profile it generates. Remember that in both hemispheres it was GBv OZ rivalry which enabled RL to get established after unpromising beginnings. It has repeatedly been the saviour of the game in the bad times and, looking to the future, it surely is going to be the basis for expansion.

International football gets vastly increased tv and press coverage and helps interest kids to take up the game. Or are people happy for RL to shrink to a minority sport played just in Sydney and along the M62 (bits of Lancashire and Yorkshire) corridor.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
more internationals needed :D

then we would have some league on instead of this other crap thats on at the moment.

BORING kick n clap

Latest posts