What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Media Coverage of SOO

b&wdynamite

Juniors
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyones knows whether multi-year deals were struck regarding the international coverage of State of Origin? Namely in Nth America (Canada precisely) as I have now setup base here and am trying to see any sport that is not ice hockey on TV (no I refuse to even enter the debate that curling is a 'sport'!)

Any help would be much appreciated, even if it is only the networks that have broadcast in the past.

Cheers,

Skeletor

Juniors
I think in Canada there's a channel called Fox Sports World, the channel of the same name in the states (before it changed name and format to Fox Soccer Channel) used to show it in the states.

Quidgybo

Bench
Having just finished a year in Canada I can tell you that you're in for a tough time. Last year Fox Sports World showed one premiership game per week (replay of Saturday night game on Wednesday night!). I never found what time their telecast of Origin or the Grand Final was on, if they even showed them at all - ie. after a full season of matches I'm not sure they even showed the Grand Final. :-( The Wednesday night match was always a replay the Sky Sports UK Saturday coverage. Now that Sky Sports have lost the NRL rights I have no idea if this will affect Canadian coverage.

My advice, get a decent broadband connection and isolate yourself for the 24 hours so you can watch the Bigpong replays "live" (which I only did for the really big games like Origin and the GF).

On the bright side, things look like being much better for those of us in the USA. Setanta Sports showed two games this weekend - both LIVE!!! Of course actually getting Setanta is a bit of an ordeal in itself but be assured that will not stop me once I find a new home and stop living out of bloody motels. Still the weather in the Bay Area is pretty nice at the moment.

Leigh.

Quidgybo said:
On the bright side, things look like being much better for those of us in the USA. Setanta Sports showed two games this weekend - both LIVE!!! Of course actually getting Setanta is a bit of an ordeal in itself but be assured that will not stop me once I find a new home and stop living out of bloody motels. Still the weather in the Bay Area is pretty nice at the moment.

Any stats on how many homes have Setanta and what kind of ratings NRL matches get? Obviously they'd be pretty small considering the time of the day they'd be on and I'm under no misapprehension as to the popularity (or even name recognition) of the game there.

Setanta is a godsend for many an expat around the world...!