What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International RL 'nicknames' - England ?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
To add to my query......

Does England need a nickname ?

Would having one help increase their profile ? Help with sponsor opportunities ? Help with engagement with the national media ? Increase merchandising options ?

We have Kangaroos, Kiwis, Kumuls, Le Coqs; Bati, Bravehearts; Wolfhounds and Tamaraws ..... Is England on the outer if not known via nickname ?
Just to add;

Top-tier national teams (i.e.: Aus cricket) can get away with not having a nickname because they're always in the headlines and everyone is generally aware of them.

But we've seen almost every other Aus national team, from the Olympic swimming team to men's hockey to women's basketball now has a specific team name. I'd assume the AIS/etc have been pushing that for a reason.

England RL doesn't need one but like you say, it'd probably help with raising awareness and sponsorships, etc in a crowded sporting market.

Nuke

Staff member
During summer, there was an article in the newspaper where Cricket Australia were considering giving the Test team, the One-Day team, and the 20/20 team official nicknames. One each. And they were terrible names.

Some teams just don't need nicknames, in my opinion.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
England don't have a team nickname. At the RLWC 2013 opener, the nicknames of all the clubs were on inflatable rugby balls inside the Millennium Stadium... except one and that was England.

In fact, no major English national teams have official nicknames that I can think of. "Three Lions" for football, "Red Rose" for Union. We do tend to have nicknames for our A teams though ("Knights" for League, "Saxons" for Union, "Lions" for cricket).
In fact, we have nicknames for our teams lower than that, with the Lionhearts at community level.

England RL have never been referred to as the "Lions" except by people who cannot distinguish the difference between England and GB.

As for GB being the best recognisable brand... We've had bigger crowds as England in this century than GB, but to mention the growth of the other home nations. England all the way.

England RL is a recognisable brand in about four insignificant towns in an insignificant part of the country. Thick poms had miniscule national relevance with GB and they've even thrown that away.

crimpo

Juniors
You really don't get the point about 'GB Lions' do you ECT? When you work that out then you can start talking about geography, etc.

Last edited:
You really don't get the point about 'GB Lions' do you ECT? When you work that out then you can start talking about geography, etc.

I'm willing to bet I know more about the geography of the situation than most. Including the rfl. What geographical facts are you suggesting I don't understand?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The game is full of dinosaurs. Sad thing is that the RFL will probably cave to them and go back to GB tours even though they're outdated and pointless.

What is so bad about GB tours?

A Lions tour to Aus and NZ every four years would be great, and it wouldn't stop England, etc playing in the meantime.