What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International rules??????????

XXXX

Juniors
The NY Gaelic Association played the NY Magpies .Magpies did well considering the mismatch in player pools .

Dean Moriarty said:
A bit of both. Generally, you're going to pick the best players you've got available, but there are certain types of players who would be more suited to the hybrid game than others. From the gaelic point of view, we would tend to pick the bigger, more solidly built players who are going to be able to cope with the tackling. The Australians are going to pick the faster, more elusive players.

Thanks for the reply Dean. BTW, are you in Ireland, or do you live elsewhere and follow Irish sport?

grayham

Juniors
Joker said:
XXXX said:
Some good points there Joker .I've asked them myself .
Why not a tri-series agianst the US , Ny is big on Gaelic .

Do Ireland play any other country in Gaelic Football?

Yes, but with RU like mismatches. USA is the closest team and the irish thrash them. I also think they play Scotland in some Gaelic games as well.

USA would be the obvious 3rd team in an international rules tri-series, but it would have to be picked from more than just the Gaelic football players in the US. If some media mogel got interested, and built a team from Gaelic players and fringe basketball/gridiron players they could easily step up to the level.......but having the US influence the rules may not be a good thing.

CanadianSteve said:
Thanks for the reply Dean. BTW, are you in Ireland, or do you live elsewhere and follow Irish sport?

Not there anymore. :cry:

I moved over to Sydney a few years back. I still try to keep up with the GAA and Irish sport in general from over here, though.

S2H said:
Dean why is there no rep players from Kerry. They are always a strong county (about 35 championships) and did well again this year, but no reps (unless i'm blind)

I'm looking forward to this series as well. should be good. For some reason i thought kenelly would be playing fo the Irish like he did last year?

Well, the coach is a Kerryman!

Seriously, the Kerry lads would be a bit disappointed not to get a spot or two. Seamus Moynihan was supposed to be captain but had to withdraw (injured, I think). Tadhg Kennelly has an groin operation to face over the off-season so he also had to withdraw.

grayham said:

Yes, but with RU like mismatches. USA is the closest team and the irish thrash them. I also think they play Scotland in some Gaelic games as well.

I've never heard of matches between Ireland and the USA - possibly exhibition games but nothing regular. The USA are the current Gaelic Football World Cup holders, though (Ireland, for obvious reasons, don't play in it).

We play Scotland in hurling's version of the International Rules - our hurlers against their shinty players.

S2H

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
grayham said:

I've never heard of matches between Ireland and the USA - possibly exhibition games but nothing regular. The USA are the current Gaelic Football World Cup holders, though (Ireland, for obvious reasons, don't play in it).

We play Scotland in hurling's version of the International Rules - our hurlers against their shinty players.

New York have had a team in the championships before, and have even hosted the all ireland final once.

Australia beat Ireland in Gaelic Football back in the 60's, well before IR started.

Hurling is one of the coolest games i have ever seen.

S2H said:
New York have had a team in the championships before, and have even hosted the all ireland final once.

Australia beat Ireland in Gaelic Football back in the 60's, well before IR started.

Hurling is one of the coolest games i have ever seen.

Yeah, I mentioned the NY sides in the championship earlier. Never knew about Aus beating us in the 60s though - before my time I'm afraid, although it's back in the great days of Down football. :lol:

Hurling's great to watch but brutal to play. I was never much good at it though - much more of a footballer.

DM, could you give a brief description of the hurling vs. shinty game? I don't know anything about shinty, and only saw hurling on TV a few times years ago.

Mate, I don't know a lot about it to be honest. Hurling, in rough terms for the uninitiated, is similar to gaelic football except you have a broad bladed stick (called a caman or hurley) to hit a small leather ball (called a sliothar). Goals and fields are the same. Unlike hockey, you're quite entitled to lift your hurley as required. You can run with the ball balanced on the blade of your hurley.

Shinty is a similar but relatively minor game played in Scotland. I couldn't really say what the differences are. The best source of information is here: http://www.shinty.com/

Their version of International Rules started up three years ago, I believe, after I'd headed Down Under, hence my relative ignorance.

Hurling is an amazing game to play and watch. It's also a good way to lose your teeth and probably most of your facial features in the space of half a second of misplaced hurley, but hey.

Shinty is more like field hockey than hurling (think stick rather than the broad hurley) but is generally played to a large dgree up in the air.

It gets freaking lethal as well.

grayham

Juniors
The IR rules had everything that the RU cup has missed so far:
1) A close game with the lead changing during the 3rd quarter.
2) Players played with passion (a few heated punch-ups)
3) All players were actually from either Ireland or Australia (Can any RU team claim that ??)
4) A genuine packed stadium (no special deals of go see this game, to get a final ticket)
5) An exciting game.
6) Followed by ALL socio-economic groups.

Pity it didnt get any promotion in Sydney, cause we just missed the closest test match Australia has been involved in any sport since last years IR series.

First Test: Australia 56 (3-10-8) Ireland 46 (1-10-10)

Ireland will have to overcome a 10-point deficit in the second test of the International Rules Series next Friday, if they are to continue their 100 per cent record in tours Down Under.

The first test in Perth finished with a fitter, slicker Australia running out 56-46 winners, with three goals in the final two quarters helping them to surge in front after trailing by five points at half time.

Australia 56 (3-10-8) Ireland 46 (1-10-10)

Australia, who had not won the opening test in a home series since 1986, were expected to put up a sterner fight this time around with coach Garry Lyon focusing on building the kind of team spirit that saw them take the series in Dublin last year. His side prepared this week at a training camp in Bunbury, outside Perth.

After a slow start by the Aussies, they quickly recovered and took a stranglehold on the game as it progressed.

The home side out-scored Ireland 16-7 in the second period, 20-9 in the third and 7-5 in the fourth. Ireland's kicking worsened as the game went on, most notably in the third quarter when a string of behinds undermined their efforts. Also, the visitors passing became sloppy and basic defensive errors began to creep in after an energy-sapping game, and the all-attacking Aussies secured mark after mark deep within scoring range.

What really killed off Ireland was the concession of three goals. The first came after an unfortunate deflection off Cormac McAnallen 18 minutes into the third quarter. Brad Johnson found himself with acres of space on the right side of the field, close to goals, and sprinted closer. He had made the angle too tight by the time he looked up to shoot, but as the ball skidded across the face of the goal, McAnallen's trailing leg pinged the ball into the net.

That score closed the gap to just two points at 40-38, but an over just a minute later from the huge, and hugely impressive Barry Hall, handed the Aussies the lead for the first time since the fifth minute. It got worse minutes later when Chris Johnson was upended in the area and dispatched the resulting penalty to the net, giving the whip-hand decisively to the home side for the first time.

Ireland were feeling the pinch at this stage and yet only trailed by six points at the start of the final quarter, 47-41. However, the scores simply wouldn't come and the death knell sounded when captain Shane Crawford was left unmarked in the small rectangle to kick in Australia's third goal - poor defending by Ireland.
Ireland's solitary goal came from Benny Coulter early in the first quarter, at a time when the Australians were clearly struggling to get on the pace of the game. The young Down footballer, making his International Rules debut, powered through the home defence before dummying past a defender and striking a shot low at goalkeeper Glen Jakovich, who could only parry it into the net. It was all going swimmingly for Ireland at this stage but Australia upped the ante considerably after that and were full value for their win - they made better use of the ball, exploited their physical advantage to the full and took their scoring chances much better than Ireland.

With ten points to make up, Ireland's hopes of taking the series home look to be in peril. Australia sit firmly in the driving seat, and given the occasion which the test in Melbourne will precede - the Rugby World Cup between the same countries - it is almost certain to be played in front of a large home following.

Best performers in the first test were Barry Hall for Australia, scorer of 13 points whose size up front presented Ireland with a problem they couldn't solve, while captain Graham Canty and Armagh's Steven McDonnell, who landed 16, showed best for the visitors.

AUSTRALIA - Glen Jakovich; Luke Power, Matthew Scarlett, Jared Crouch; Brad Johnson, Lenny Hayes, Brett Kirk, Shane Crawford (Captain), Chris Johnson (Vice Capt); Adam Simpson, Barry Hall, Nathan Brown; Paul Hasleby, Matthew Pavlich, Daniel Wells. Interchange (eight of 10 to play): Leo Barry, Mark Bickley, Clint Bizzell, Matthew Carr, Brent Harvey, Robert Murphy, Jade Rawlings, Jess Sinclair, Rohan Smith, David Wirrapunda.

IRELAND - Enda Murphy; Paddy Christie, Anthony Lynch, Cormac McAnallen; Sean Martin Lockhart, Kieran McGeeney, Graham Canty; Paul McGrane, Ciaran McManus; Joe Bergin, Benny Coulter, Padraig Joyce; Steven McDonnell, Brian McDonald, Dessie Dolan. Interchange: Colin Corkery, Gary Cox, Cathal Daly, Stephen Kelly, Shane Ryan, Joe Higgins, Kevin Hughes, Tom Kelly.

Match details:
AUSTRALIA 0.3.2 - 0.7.6 - 2.9.8 - 3.10.8 (56)
IRELAND 1.6.1 - 1.8.2 - 1.9.8 - 1.10.10 (46)

Goals:
Australia: Brad Johnson, Chris Johnson, Shane Crawford. Overs: Barry Hall 4, Matthew Pavlich, Lenny Hayes, Nathan Brown, Clint Bizzell, Paul Hasleby, Brett Harvey.
Ireland: Brendan Coulter Overs: Steven McDonnell 5, Padraig Joyce, Ciaran McManus, Kevin Hughes, Kieran McGeeney, Joe Higgins.
Attendance: 41,228 at Subiaco Oval.

http://www.setanta.com/international_rules/index.html

meltiger

First Grade
grayham said:
Pity it didnt get any promotion in Sydney, cause we just missed the closest test match Australia has been involved in any sport since last years IR series.

Ummm ... Beg to differ but what about this eyars second Bledisloe Cup test?????

S2H

Juniors
grayham said:
The IR rules had everything that the RU cup has missed so far:
3) All players were actually from either Ireland or Australia (Can any RU team claim that ??)

I dont think too many teams could. No irish, and only 1 Australian in the entire NZ team, and i dont think South Africa has any players from either side.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts