What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Triple Header - 2 November, 2019

Gronk

Staff member
Dave Riccio said on NRL Tonight that the Izzy story came about from the current Tonga Board who the current Tonga squad refuse to play for.

Yes Toumolololololololo etc have all said that they wont play at the end of the year unless there is a new Board.

Nek minute the old Board start sending out (false) press releases saying that Izzy has received the nod from the international RL. Not true and it’s just shenanigans by the old Board to remain in power.

Well more likely 83% of those who responded to to online poll run by a newspaper who are seeking freedom of religion reforms. :thinking:
Even so, I doubt it's all that different to what fans want. Plenty of players have done far worse and are still in the game or have been welcomed back. I hate to echo what Kent just said but it's PC crap.

Gronk

Staff member
Even so, I doubt it's all that different to what fans want. Plenty of players have done far worse and are still in the game or have been welcomed back. I hate to echo what Kent just said but it's PC crap.
And to echo what James Graham said, even Matt Lodge has gone through a process of contrition, showing and demonstrating remorse to those he wronged etc. All Izzy has done since he sparked outrage is ...

upload_2019-9-24_21-2-48.jpeg

And to echo what James Graham said, even Matt Lodge has gone through a process of contrition, showing and demonstrating remorse to those he wronged etc. All Izzy has done since he sparked outrage is ...

View attachment 33260
What do you mean 'even' Matt Lodge? If anyone had to show remorse it's him. Folau's 'crime' is ridiculously minor in comparison.

Gronk

Staff member
What do you mean 'even' Matt Lodge? If anyone had to show remorse it's him. Folau's 'crime' is ridiculously minor in comparison.
Yet he has shown no contrition. Indeed he argues that he should be entitled to do, say or publish things in the future that may be offensive. :thinking:

Yet he has shown no contrition. Indeed he argues that he should be entitled to do, say or publish things in the future that may be offensive. :thinking:
Does he need to show contrition? People have different beliefs. Would you like him to lie and say he's sorry, and that he won't do it again, before letting him play? The crime should fit the punishment, and in this case the punishment is excessive. People need to stop being outraged and trying to control others.

Gronk

Staff member
Does he need to show contrition? People have different beliefs. Would you like him to lie and say he's sorry, and that he won't do it again, before letting him play? The crime should fit the punishment, and in this case the punishment is excessive. People need to stop being outraged and trying to control others.

The punishment would be excessive had he been sacked for it the first time, but he wasn’t. He was told that his actions upset major sponsors and did not align to the values of the sport.

Then after agreeing that he would not repeat his actions and with full knowledge of the repercussions, he did it again.

His termination was of no surprise to him because he knew it was coming. Very hard to argue that the situation is unjust.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I don’t think he needs to show remorse as that is what he believes.

However, he also can’t call foul if professional sporting codes don’t share those values and choose not to align themselves with someone that publically shares them and has demonstrated that he is unwillingly to keep them to himself.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think all religious players abide by this when under contract, but not Izzy.. even when warned.

https://www.hopgoodganim.com.au/pag...-with-an-employment-contract-or-is-there-more

1.3: Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability. Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby.

The punishment would be excessive had he been sacked for it the first time, but he wasn’t. He was told that his actions upset major sponsors and did not align to the values of the sport.

Then after agreeing that he would not repeat his actions and with full knowledge of the repercussions, he did it again.

His termination was of no surprise to him because he knew it was coming. Very hard to argue that the situation is unjust.
What was he forbidden to do exactly? Post on social media? Express his religious views? Offend anybody? You can't be sure what people will find offensive. Some people make a career out of being offended. In any case it was a different employer. He hasn't broken any agreements he had with the NRL. The reality is that Beattie took the opportunity to do some virtue signalling and painted the NRL into the corner in the process.

I don’t think he needs to show remorse as that is what he believes.

However, he also can’t call foul if professional sporting codes don’t share those values and choose not to align themselves with someone that publically shares them and has demonstrated that he is unwillingly to keep them to himself.
I agree. Business is business.

Gronk

Staff member
What was he forbidden to do exactly? Post on social media? Express his religious views? Offend anybody? You can't be sure what people will find offensive. Some people make a career out of being offended. In any case it was a different employer. He hasn't broken any agreements he had with the NRL. The reality is that Beattie took the opportunity to do some virtue signalling and painted the NRL into the corner in the process.
No he hasn't offended whilst employed by the NRL, however they are entitled to make a commercial decision after consulting with stakeholders if they want him aligned with their brand.

Nobody is saying he can't post or say that stuff as a citizen, but an employer should be able to have a say in their brand. If my business has values and those values reflect on income streams and participation stats, then you're out.

No he hasn't offended whilst employed by the NRL, however they are entitled to make a commercial decision after consulting with stakeholders if they want him aligned with their brand.

Nobody is saying he can't post or say that stuff as a citizen, but an employer should be able to have a say in their brand. If my business has values and those values reflect on income streams and participation stats, then you're out.
I agree with that. But I don't think the reason he is being excluded is about that. I think it's because Beattie did some grandstanding and will now look weak if Folau is allowed to play. And we aren't even talking about him playing NRL yet, just for Tonga.

strider

Post Whore
Im willing to bet Beattie has no idea who Izzy is ... he is probably wondering why the blonde hottie from ramsay st wants to play footy

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/10/cnk-caps-stunning-2019-rise-as-one-of-four-kiwi-test-rookies/

New Zealand Test squad

Kiwis
  • Leeson Ah Mau (NZ Warriors)
  • Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne Storm)
  • Kenneath Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
  • Kieran Foran (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
  • Braden Hamlin-Uele (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
  • Corey Harawira-Naera (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
  • Jahrome Hughes (Melbourne Storm)
  • Jamayne Isaako (Brisbane Broncos)
  • Shaun Johnson (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
  • Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters)
  • Joseph Manu (Sydney Roosters)
  • Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
  • Ken Maumalo (NZ Warriors)
  • Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (Canberra Raiders)
  • Briton Nikora (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
  • Kevin Proctor (Gold Coast Titans)
  • Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)
  • Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm)
  • Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders)
  • Zane Tetevano (Sydney Roosters)
  • Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (NZ Warriors)
  • Jared Waerea Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters)

Gronk

Staff member
Tonga invitational XIII:

Joh Asiata (North Queensland Cowboys)

Andrew Fifita (Cronulla Sharks)

Addin Fonua-Blake (Manly Sea Eagles)

David Fusitu’a (New Zealand Warriors)

Siliva Havili (Canberra Raiders)

Ata Hingano (Canberra Raiders)

William Hopoate (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Konrad Hurrell (Leeds Rhinos)

Michael Jennings (Parramatta Eels)

Sione Katoa (Penrith Panthers)

Tui Lolohea (Salford Red Devils)

Manu Ma’u (Hull FC)

Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warrington Wolves)

Joe Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)

Tevita Pangai Junior (Brisbane Broncos)

Kotoni Staggs (Brisbane Broncos)

Tevita Tatola (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Si Siua Taukeiaho (Sydney Roosters)

Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys)

Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)

Still Tupouniua (Sydney Roosters)

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-league-quartet-in-strong-tonga-squad-for-autumn-tests/